PDA

View Full Version : Cripled with anxiety

hadenough
08-01-12, 20:18
Hi everyone, I am not coping at all at the moment and I dont know what to do. I have suffered with anxiety for many years and have gone through really bad times before but this is the worst ever.

Since November Ive had 2 viruses, 2 infections and various other symptoms. To cut a long story short Ive now convinced myself that I have some terrible illness. Ive been too scared to see the GP just in case its bad news but Ive had to pluck up the courage to make an appointment and Im seeing her tomorrow. Apart from the above I now have aches and pains, headache, churning stomach, sweats, extreme tiredness and a few other symptoms. People keep telling me I look tired which is panicking me even more. Ive looked up the symptoms of anxiety and most of my symptoms are there but can I convince myself that this is all caused by anxiety....No I cant. I cant get the bad thoughts out of my mind and its driving me insane.

Would be really grateful for any thoughts.

mallan82450
08-01-12, 20:25
It's difficult when you get yourself locked in cycle of worry and panic! Things can spiral out of control and you mind can work overtime. All your symptoms sound like what many of us have experienced or are experiencing now so you are not alone.

Going to your GP is the best thing you can do as they can advise you on methods to help you get better. It's a very frightening place to be and your mind is a powerful thing. Keep posting and talking it really helps.

Take care and good luck at the docs :D

stamags
08-01-12, 20:33
hi.........nearly exactly how I feel. Cant understand where this has come from. also seeing my gp tomorrow. good luck to you hope all goes well.

Moneypenny
08-01-12, 21:01
Hi Hadenough,

Had very similiar symptoms as you. I suffered from a number of viruses/infections one after another and had very bad headaches. I finally had enough when I started to develop lightheadedness and dizzy spells and decided to go to the GP. If I hadn't I would not have been diagnosed and offered help. While in the surgery I completely broke down, had no idea where it came from but it was such a relief to finally know what was wrong with me.

What I am trying to saying in a very long winded way is go to your GP. Good Luck. :bighug1:

hadenough
08-01-12, 21:08
Thank you all so much for your replies, it really helps that people understand how I feel as I was feeling such an idiot. Have only joined the forum today and now Im so glad that I did. Thank you.

stamags
08-01-12, 21:37
hi all............was unsure at first what was wrong with me as came on in a matter of hours but that day i had been feeling very cold and shivery, went to bed but suddenly woke in a panic thinking I was about to die, feeling very faint and lightheaded with muscle contractions in my legs. couldnt sleep all night as was afraid to shut my eyes so went to doc and she said the only thing she could find was a slightly raised temperature so was probably anxiety.

hadenough
09-01-12, 21:14
Just an update really. Had appointment with GP today and she assures me that all my symptoms are down to anxiety. Im trying my hardest I really am and I definitely feel calmer than I have over the last few days. Im hoping that the anxiety may lessen enough to let me get some sleep. She did give me 10 diazepam but has said that I wont get any more.

Lottie19
09-01-12, 21:23
See if you can get a referral for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy - I had anxiety attacks for 5 years - it is the worse feeling ever and if you haven't been there you will never understand. CBT worked really well for me, I still have anxieties but feel better able to deal with them. Keep on talking to whoever you can, whether it is on this forum or to friends and family. It is always good to know that other people have gone through similar things and you are not on your own. Try to divert yourself with a good book or a comedy. Exercise helps. And there are a few good books out there. There was one which worked really well for me. I will see if I can find it and let you know. It does get better, it really does.
Lottie