PDA

View Full Version : NHS Therapies

Gregor
10-06-06, 04:24
Hi,

Does anyone know if any therapies, such as hypnotherapy, cbt or any others are available on the NHS? The reason i ask is i'd like to at least give myself a chance, but money's always a problem for me to go privately, since this anxiety's incapacitated me!

My GP has never suggested any of these to me, but i'm seeing him next week so i'd like to know if it's something i should ask him..

Thanks.

marie ross
10-06-06, 11:48
Hi

Yes, i'm pretty certain most of them are, its well worth asking your doctor and seeing whats available for you in your area. I want to go and do CBT but the waiting list is just to long, so i'm trying to go at it alone with the help and advice of everyone in here. It all depends on where you live and whats available so the next time you see your GP ask him, hopefully you will get the treatment you need quickly.

Take care.

Marie XXX

chedda
10-06-06, 12:00
Hia ,
yes these are available on the NHS but the waiting list depends on where abouts you are unfortunately... i am just waiting for a home assesment with regards to cbt and other therapy( home assesment cos i have agoraphobia) MY doctor assured me when she camr that the waiting list here is not so bad thankfully,it does seem to be a lottery though depending where you live

Karen
10-06-06, 23:41
Hi Gregor

I would suggest asking your doctor about CBT because this is often available although there may be a waiting list. GPs often do not offer therapy as the first course of treatment because of this.

Good luck and I hope you get a positive outcome from the appointment.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

Gregor
11-06-06, 00:44
Thanks for your help. I'm thinking about CBT as i've read that's good for agoraphobia - which i have. With the waiting-list problems, the worst thing is that if my GP had suggested that in the first place i probably would have been seen by now.. whereas i've been on the waiting-list to see a clinical psychologist for 2 years 8 months - and still not been seen yet!

nomorepanic
11-06-06, 11:36
Gregor

You may want to join the No Panic telephone recovery course in the meantime.

Go to www.nopanic.org.uk

You need to join - costs £10 - and the course is 10 or 12 weeks, once a week for an hour. It is all done on the telephone.

It has helped a lot of people on here and I did it many years ago too.

Nicola

Gregor
12-06-06, 08:18
Thanks Nicola. I'll consider it, but from what i can see it's like a group therapy situation and i'm not so good talking in groups like that (one of my fears).

Gregor
14-06-06, 12:58
Well, i saw my GP. He appeared unwilling/unable to refer me for CBT. I think he muttered something about there not being any in this area! like you say, though, there's usually a long waiting list, so i don't really want to wait for any therapy. I'm definitely thinking about hypnotherapy, i'm just trying to weigh up effectiveness against cost.

Gregor

carolynw
14-06-06, 23:37
hi

I see an anxiety management person on the nhs.

She talks about why i get panicy and ways to deal with it, she gives me workbooks to do and books and audio tapes.

So far ive found it very useful, there was no waiting list, i just got a referal from my health visitor.

Ask your GP if its available in your area

Hope this helps

Love Carolyn