PDA

View Full Version : I can't handle this anxiety anymore. I don't know where to go.

Betsyboo9034
09-01-12, 15:16
Hi everyone,
I am really, really struggling right now. I have written several posts lately about my one-sided nipple rash and breast cancer fears. I went to the doctor today, and she had a look. Apparently the areola is raised...she thinks it is because of the steroid cream she gave me. She told me to stop using the cream and referred me to a breast clinic. I am so crazy. She spent ten minutes telling me that it is NOT cancer, and how she just wanted some advice on how to treat the nipple eczema since it came back and there is a raised, almost swollen area, so we cannot use that cream.

I am 24 and from the US, but I live in the UK. I had never even heard about breast clinics before. I don't understand what is going to happen there, or if I am going because I really do have cancer and she is not telling me.

Why would I only have the raised spot on one nipple? What about the other one? I have been using cream on that one too.

It is literally taking all of my strength to not give up and go back to the US. I feel like I am cracking under my anxiety, and I don't have anyone here to talk to. (I have friends, but I don't know if I feel comfortable discussing my problems with them) I have a therapist but she isn't here at the moment.

Please help, I don't know what to do anymore...short of checking myself into the psych ward for awhile.

gypsywomen
09-01-12, 15:28
a breast clinic deals with all problems to do with breast if your doctor said it isnt cancer i am sure she wouldnt lie. more than her jobs worth..try not to panic,just because its on on side and not the other dosent mean something wrong ,creams of this kind can cause irrataion....its hard when your not used to our system ,i hope you feel better soon ,,,,you will be ok xx:hugs:

anx2005
09-01-12, 16:01
doctors can't lie to you. She wouldn't lie to you. If she thought it was cancer she would tell you. Maybe the cream clogged up a pore and its infected. I know how anxiety is but please know that the doctor would tell you if she thought it was cancer. I am am RN. I have worked with many doctors. They don't want to surprice you with anything. you an have a reaction one spot and not another. You won't know until you go and find out. Hope this helps. Can you talk to your family/friends from US? Jut because you moved doesn't mean they aren't still there for you. Good luck.

Betsyboo9034
09-01-12, 17:11
I do talk to my family, but my mother has dementia (the major trigger of my anxiety coming back) and I don't like to pressure my dad with my silly problems. I know my doctor wouldn't lie, but like, maybe she doesn't realise that it is cancer? I don't know I don't like feeling out of control. I feel like I want every test to make sure it is ok. I have been panicking all night, and I have periods of time where I am calmer, but I am so on edge. I don't know what to do. How long will it take to get an appointment?? I can't stay so anxious for months...

countrygirl
09-01-12, 17:24
Practically if your Dr thinks you have breast cancer or you are super worried then a referral to a breast clinic will mean you are seen within 2 weeks, if she has said she wants a routine appt then it can take quite a few weeks so I would contact her and ask her what type of referral she made. Due to your anxiety she should have made you one under the 2 week rule so check.

UK breast clinics are a one stop clinic for all breast related problems. You will usually be seen by a Dr then possibly offered a mammogram and or ultrasound depending on if anything needs looking at. You may only see a Dr who may decide no further testing is needed. These clinics also can do needle biopsies in someone who they suspect of breast cancer and you would get the results same day as there are all different departments working purely for the clnic ( mammo/ultrasound/pathology). So at least you find out one way or the other all in one go.

YOur Dr is not worried its breast cancer so I know its much easier said than done but until you need to worry please try and stay a bit calmer for you own good.

Personally I would ring the surgery and ask if you have been referred under the 2 week rule or not and if not ask to speak to the Dr explaining your absolute terror and need to be seen as soon as possible. I don't know if your Dr is aware of your severe health anxiety???? they are not mind readers so if you ahve managed to hide it until now it would be best to admit to it.

Betsyboo9034
10-01-12, 10:52
The doctor said it will be a couple of weeks. Maybe that means that it is the 2 week one. I hope so! I will ring the clinic when I get the referral. My doctor is aware of my anxiety, but I think she just thinks that I am crazy. I get embarrassed when I go to her about health anxiety stuff...like I inconvenience her or something.

countrygirl
10-01-12, 13:54
Understand totally about feeling a nutcase at the Drs!

What I have found especailly with the Dr i have now ( who is sympathetic) is tell him my symptoms and listen to his reply without jumping in with the what ifs then I will say
" This is my health anxiety speaking I am worried that it could be xxxxxx" and he will then explain why he thinks I am wrong or if there is a simple test he could do that would prove me wrong.