PDA

View Full Version : Please new here smear test / gum

shelgalou
09-01-12, 16:57
Hi , i am new to post but have been visiting this site for 2 years now since my H.A really kicked off. A bit of background i had severe dyskariosis on a smear 2 years ago which basically sent me into meltdown over absolutely everything. My following smears have been ok, however last week I went for my annual smear and i bled a little and had brown discharge for a couple of days I am terrified it has come back. Also on brushing my teeth last night i noticed i have a red patch above my front teeth on my gum, i have been researching all day and it only points to one thing really that this could be i am so scared x

---------- Post added at 16:39 ---------- Previous post was at 16:21 ----------

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

---------- Post added at 16:57 ---------- Previous post was at 16:39 ----------

Can anyone help?

xfilme
09-01-12, 17:52
the brown discharge is just a result of scraping your cervix for cells. they have to make it bleed to get the cells, so thats all it is. most women get spotting afterwards and its perfectly normal for the procedure and indicates nothing at all i assure you x

shelgalou
09-01-12, 17:53
Thankyou for the response it is just so scary, because of what happened before and now this mouth thing has really sent my anxiety in to overdrive x

spacebunnyx
09-01-12, 17:59
Hi, I've had dyskaryosis as well and had a LLETZ. I still bleed during smears.. it freaks me out too, but I think its very normal.

xfilme
09-01-12, 18:01
i had cin 2 so i understand. the patch in your mouth? ive been down the route of oral fears and learnt one thing.... everything in your mouth looks weird.

shelgalou
09-01-12, 20:14
Thankyou everyone, i had cin3 and had the leetz procedure to treat it, it was a very dark time for me i had just had my first baby and it drove me to suffering quite badly with ha. It has stopped me from wanting another child and sex now terrifies me incase i bleed or it hurts me! I never bled in previous smears and this worries me too, it is bad enough waiting for results but now i have found this thing on my gum i am even more scared x

Lottie19
09-01-12, 21:00
You can often get mouth problems because of stress and it sounds like you're very stressed but if it doesn't go, check it out with your dentist. Had the same with the smear test and although I've had two fine ones since, it has started off my health anxiety and now I'm seeing problems everywhere. I should stick to my own advice which is try to divert yourself with something enjoyable or light-hearted (I have a good comedy DVD at hand), keep talking to people (as you can see lots of people have had similar and it's good to know you're not on your own), ask your GP about your anxiety and see if you can get it treated through CBT and/or mild antidepressants. Good luck!

Lottie

shelgalou
09-01-12, 21:01
it is good to know i am not on my own, and yes i am very stressed, very apprehensive about meds but should really look in to counselling x

Hck80
12-01-12, 19:13
I was about to write a post about this but thankfully did a search first. I had my smearTest today, I had cin3 in 2006 as has it treated by lletz like yourself.
Today was the first time I've had a breakthrough bleed, te nurse told me about this and said it was normal. Im just a little worried like you but with all te positive
Posts it does help ease my anxiety. Did you feel a bit crampy after too?

Hazel

shelgalou
13-01-12, 14:21
OMG got my results back, borderline changes, i cant wait 6 months to go back for a repeat esp with my history!! please help me i am so scared , as if they will revert back to normal after what has happened before

cjl2301
13-01-12, 16:18
i have been researching all day

You gotta try and not do this. I know it's hard. I do it myself and it only leads to bad things. Somehow it feels "therapeutic" while you are reading, but it only makes things worse. You are feeding info into the HA tape that plays in your head.

---------- Post added at 11:18 ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 ----------

very apprehensive about meds but should really look in to counselling x

One more thing - I too have always been very apprehensive about meds. I have stubbornly refused to try them. However a good friend of mine who has similar issues says they have helped him immensely. So based on his advice, I setup an appointment.

I'm going in tomorrow. I'm going to try the meds. After my last episode I don't want to keep doing this to myself!

Bottom line - I think looking into counselling is a great idea.

shelgalou
13-01-12, 16:37
thankyou for your advise i really cant help it, i am feeling so so awful about my results and feel like my life has been stopped once again, i really hoped if this one had come back clear i may try for another baby, but now i am back to square one, having sex is hard enough for me anyway but now it will be even worse my poor partner x

Nahdia
13-01-12, 17:07
Hi

I know how you feel, I put off having a smear for years. When i had it done, it came back completely clear. Its normal to bleed when they take the smear, that is what the gynae told me, and bleeding for a couple of days is also completely normal

shelgalou
13-01-12, 17:15
Except it came back as borderline changes and i have to have a repeat smear in 6 months i will not be able to cope until then!!!

Stormsky
13-01-12, 17:38
You have to try and just see it for what it is im afraid... meaning the 6 month wait...even if you could have a smear in 3months and not 6, it prob wouldnt be enough time to show any improvement... the 6 months gives it a change to repair... it wouldnt get any worse in that short time... so stay positive as much as you can... I had cin3 about 10yrs ago, and had a colposcopy... i only have a smear every 3yrs now, i wish i could have 1 a year tho... the 6 months will fly by, stress wont help it recover...xx

shelgalou
13-01-12, 19:30
yeah i know i wish i could remain calm about it, did you have any further scares? everyone i know who has had treatment has not had any other problems including my mum and auntie, i plan to have private smears yearly when i am reverted back to 3 yearly i think it costs about £60

Stormsky
13-01-12, 22:12
They say after a colposcopy its 99% effective that it wont return... its been 10yrs and i had smears every 6 months for a few times, then yearly, and now 3yrs.. Last letter said something like no noticable change,, whatever than means! i wish it had just said negative.. anyway, i just look out for any signs of bleed, like when it first happened 10yrs ago, i bled heavily after sex , which is why i went to docs .. dont have anything like that now, so i try not to think about it.... you get to know your body so be mindful of any changes, and if you feel you need to go back to doc before the next smear, then dont be afraid to go see them...

shelgalou
13-01-12, 22:23
i have arranged a gp appt for next week to see if she will refer me to see a gynacologist early also to see if she can reassure me, i have also emailed my previous gynacologist for his opinion, i dont feel like i can do any more but dont feel any better, yes, i assumed all would be ok after my leetz treatment and i wouldnt have to go through this again, which is why atm i am thinking i have some sort of underlying condition allowing the cells to become abnormal at a fast rate.

Stormsky
13-01-12, 22:54
Your results only say borderline change, so that doesnt sound significant.. ask them to explain exactly what that means, it might reassure you.

Aillie
14-01-12, 12:17
There is something you can do which may ease your worry. You could pay for a hpv test. If this is negative you have nothing to worry about. The same thing has recently happened to me. Borderline changes. I was so worried, Like you are, even though I know borderline changes are nothing to worry about! Anyway I had to really think about taking the test as I considered how I would react if it was positive. Thankfully it was negative so I'm no longer worried about my repeat test in may.

The other thing to consider is, I've heard that when the gp scrapes the cervix and it bleeds, this can actually be the cause of the borderline result ( the cells get squashed
It's likely nothing to worry about but can appreciate how worried you are.

My test cost £210 so was v expensive but in my case was worth it.

Hope this info has been helpful and hope your feeling better about things soon xx

---------- Post added at 12:17 ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 ----------

Forgot to add that I also bled at my smear in October 2011 ( this cane back inadequate and had to be repeated) and bled at the smear in November 2011 fir which I had the borderline change result.

shelgalou
14-01-12, 18:21
Thank you for the info that helps me a bit, how do they carry out a hpv test? i would however convince myself that i must have hpv as the cell changes i had previously were so bad, it just seems so unfair i still have the same partner, although we are hardly ever intimate as i am so scared poor him! how long did it take for the results to come back? xx

Aillie
14-01-12, 22:12
Hi the hpv test is the same idea as a smear test exept a softer brush is used. The DNA of the cells are tested for high risk , as well as low risk hpv.
It's not painful and had my results back in a week.