PDA

View Full Version : Worried about voice loss

alh
09-01-12, 16:53
Hello! I am new to this forum, and as an 'over anxious' person , am panicing about my voice!
8 weeks ago I had a sore throat and some voice loss, but no real cold that usually follows, It was a busy time at work(I am a teaching assistant) and carol services and lots of talking around that time. Anyway have been on antibiotics, which after 2 wks made me have a bad tummy! Then another dr said it was reflux and put me on some tablets to stop acid......I don't feel any different, although feel ill from worry! Have to go to ENT on Thursday for a consultation.The dr said they would pass a camera down my throat, but when the hospital rang they said they may not do that on the first visit :shrug:I am really worried as I want to get this over with and know the cause! I worry that I won't be able to talk , or if it's serious :scared15:Alh

countrygirl
09-01-12, 17:29
I have had the camera up nose and down throat for voice and coughing problems and it was nowhere near as bad as I expected. Most ent clinics as long as the appt is not at a satellite health centre will do the looksee at the first appt.

The spray anaethetic mist up one side of your nose and it trickles down back of throat - feels odd but not that bad and then they feed the tube up the nose and down to just above your voice box - very quick and I found it okay. They then ask you to sing!!!!!!!!!!! ahh ohh etc and then when you least expect it they pull it out which is a bit interesting but over with so quickly you sort of go " arghhh ughh oh" and thats that. I could not drink anything for 30 mins after and no hot drinks for hour afterwards until your swalloing reflex back and you could feel again so did not burn yourself.

With me they were looking for benign harmless nodules on my vocal cords but all was well and whatever it was that I had had for 6 months ( hoarse voice and choking cough when I talked) went away on its own never to have again.