PDA

View Full Version : Nearly blacked out at the doctor's...

daisycake
09-01-12, 18:44
Had to get a blood test this morning but I hate needles. Nurse got me on the couch, had me half reclined and got the needle in. Next thing I knew everything was swirling and I felt very light headed - she tipped the bed until my head was towards the floor and my legs were in the air, and told me to keep my eyes closed and breathe normally. Flet very giddy and woozy, and kept kind of jerking. I think an anxiety thing as I often kick my legs when anxious. She let me up after a few minutes, gave me a glass of water and sent me through to GP (as I had an appt with her anyway). Still felt dizzy with GP but she wasn't concerned, just asked me to wait in the waiting room after appt if I still needed to come to back to myself. That unfortunately didn't happen as my mum collapsed during my appt with GP and took about seven fits. I had to go to hospital with her. I am still not feeling 100% normal if that makes sense, am quite dizzy. Not sure why that happened, I have felt odd with injections before and am usually made to lie down but not that dizzy before so quite scared? Is it really just a near faint? GP and nurse were completely unconcerned - just said that since I have broken my left foot, they wanted me to be careful, both were worried I'd get up and keel over again. Am at home now but still a bit dizzy..

kinnygirl1
09-01-12, 19:18
Sounds horrible - bet you are still in shock after all that trauma and maybe that is why you still have the dizzies? Hope you and your mum are soon ok. Take it easy and rest till you feel better again.

vicky23
10-01-12, 14:41
wow that sounds like a morning and a half! poor you :hugs:
I think it's quite common for that to happen as a result of needles a lot of people have it happen to them- not quite sure why! But that's why the nurses ask you how you are with needles before the take blood to see whether you should sit or lie.
So it's perfectly normal!!
But I can very much understand why you'd be feeling scared if you suffer from HA. Also like Kinny girl said I bet the reason you're STILL feeling dizzy will be the stress from your Mum's collapse. I'm sure if you had been able to go home and relax afterwards you'd be totally fine now.
Hope things look up soon
X

Carys
10-01-12, 14:49
Sounds like a faint, bet they've seen plenty before to know what they are :winks: My husband has fainted when he s had injections/bloods done before now at the surgery.

VioletWings
10-01-12, 16:28
My mum fainted once when having blood taken, if you're already not great with injections it makes sense that it was to do with that again. Sometimes things are just worse than other times (if you are under stress generally right now your reaction could have been stronger?) It sounds like you had a horrible morning, but hope your dizziness cleared up.

PinkRoxy
11-01-12, 06:56
I had a sort of similar embarrassing situation. A couple of years ago I decided to get the flu vaccine because of the swine flu outbreak and so my gp did the injection and so I went out to pay for the visit at the reception and then all of a sudden I felt really weird like I had one of those headaches and was feverish and then I felt really awful in a matter of minutes had no idea what was wrong.

I told the lady at the counter that I suddenly feel unwell and I just had the flu vaccine and she said that they generally get patients to wait about 10 to 20 minutes after having it in the waiting room so she got me to wait for a bit.

I felt really yuck and went back up to mention it again and she decided to get me a nurse so a nurse came out and I had to go and lye down by that point all I wanted to do was go home and sleep. I asked the nurse if I would be alright to go and she asked me well if felt alright and I said not really but I want to go home and sleep.

So hesitantly she let me go and I had to catch the bus and by that time I was achey and shivering and so I got home and slept the rest of the day with layers on my bed and fully clothed because I was that cold and achey just like a flu.

I woke up the next day and was completely fine.

But I know how you feel its really embarrassing. Plus I hope your mum is ok.

Pipkin
11-01-12, 11:38
I completely sympathise. Exactly the same thing happened to me and, again, the nurse wasn't at all concerned - she said they see it quite often. For me, it was definitely the anxiety and my brain was telling me it couldn't cope with the situation. The next time I had blood taken, I was very nervous about it but it was ok and it's been fine for subsequent tests (not that I enjoy it though!).