PDA

View Full Version : Feeling so anxious I feel i am going to die

Fiercemouse
09-01-12, 22:57
I had an operation on my chest in September. This was to repair a problem I had since a young child and was meant to give me a new level of confidence. Just before the operation I was very healthy and had controlled well the high blood pressure that had prevented me having the operation in the past. I was not happy with the results of the surgery from a cosmetic point of view and got quite upset about this. Aparently during the operation my blood pressure dropped to half the normal level although this was not made into a real issue only by nurses holding my oxygen on when I came round in recovery.
Since the operation I have experienced very strange episodes of anxiety resulting in symptoms resembling heart problems with a fainting feeling and inability to speak. I have felt closed in around people and annoyed by them when in close proximity. This has caused me to miss work as ateacher as I have just been unable to get myself out of the staff room into a lesson because it has felt like I am dying.
Even going out with friends or visting friends has become a huge problem as I become so anxious before going that I sometimes just have not gone to events because I feel so bad. My doctor has been very unhelpful and I have had to push so hard almost begging to get a further referral to check out my heart. This has just exacerbated the issue further. As I told my GP AFTER AN EPISODE MY HEART FEELS CLENCHED AND i AM SO AWARE OF WHERE IT IS AND THE SAME FOR MY OTHER INTERNAL ORGANS AND THE EPISODE LEAVES ME ABSOLUTELY DRAINED EMOTIONALLY AND PHYSICALLY.
I have recently isolated the operation and particularly my letter to my surgeon complaining about my lack of satisfaction with the start of the problems. This combined with my Doctor eventually referring me on has given me something that is keeping these demons at bay. I am trying to rid myself of all the negative thoughts about my operation and appreciate the good things it has done for me. I know it is early days but I feel that this is the way forward. My job has been stressful of late but this is not the trigger and I think it is something to do with the operation and my perception of the results. I made it out on the weekend without any episodes and today in work was very busy and although I could feel that I didn't end up in a heap
Anyone have similar experience or can share something helpful with me?

Lynnann
10-01-12, 19:58
Hi Fiercemouse,

What you are describing is classic anxiety and panic symptoms, accepting this is the first step towards recovery. There were bound to be cosmetic problems from a chest surgery, was this not explained to you before the operation? Oxygen during recovery is quite usual.

I think there are avenues of help for you but accepting that anxiety can make you feel that bad will be your first step. Have a chat with your doctor from that perspective and see what they suggest? Well done for making it out at the weekend and being able to continue working :)

Lynnann:flowers:

Dazza
13-01-12, 19:09
I sympathize with you on two levels, as I suffer from lots of anxiety, mostly health related and I am also a teacher...

I've also had to cancel classes sometimes... I even walked out of a class two weeks ago, because I suddenly became dizzy and had tightness in the back of the neck... I was convinced it was something cardiac related. It's not the first time it's happened to me in class....thankfullly not often though.

chl_hobbs
25-02-12, 09:24
Your story is very similar to mine...and I'm a teacher too!! It's been hell.
Charlotte xxx