PDA

View Full Version : Crowds

brucea
29-04-04, 15:12
Hi i'm alison, i've suffered from panic attacks in crowds for over 20 years.[V] I'm one of the lucky ones and can live a relatively normal life,[8D] it still hurts though when people realise that i'm 'not normal' and that there's something 'wrong with me'.:( Reading your page makes me feel less isolated, thanks.

On the whole i do most things i want, but because i'm shy i find crowd's very intimidating and going out for a drink, etc fills me with nerves, most folk wonder what thier going to ware to a night out, i wonder how i'll cope and who will be my 'safe' person if i dont![|)]

It is possible to have a life with the attacks, i've never let it stop me totally, but it has restricted my life alot. I try to go by the maxim of 'I rule my life, my life dosent rule me' - then i run away and hide if asked to go somewhere 'scarry'![8D]

Your site is very helpful, i've tried quite a few of the methods suggested and yes, they dont ever make the panic go away totally, just easier to live with. Which at the end of the day is what we all want - to be able to live, not just exist. Thanks again.:):):)

benoo5
29-04-04, 20:33
hya alison,welcome to this wonderful site,its good to see that youve had a look around,before posting.

its very comforting to know,that your not alone,as there are many thousands of people suffering the very same symptoms,as yourself.

you havent mentioned,whether or not you are taking medication,and whether your receiving any form of therapy.

its great that you have a positive attitude,and that its not ruining your life,so i would say,that with the correct treatment,there is every possibility of you making a good recovery.

an interesting fact to remember,is that when you do go to a pub,theres every chance,that someone else in their,is feeling as anxious as yourself.

finally,correct breathing techniques used ,before going out,can be of great benefit...ime sure others here will be able to give you great personal advice....best wishes....bryan.

nomorepanic
29-04-04, 21:10
Hi Alison

Just a quick note to say "Welcome to the site". You sound quite positive and are doing all the right things to get on the road to recovery.

Let us know if you have any questions atall and we will try to help more.

Nicola

brucea
04-05-04, 16:21
Hi Nicola / Bryan

I'm not on any medication, for me i prefer to be in control and dont feel happy taking anything that takes that control away from me. As i said before i'm lucky and i can handle the panic. I use meditation, breathing, visulisation and if worst comes to worst - i get out of there!

I cant imagine what it must be like to feel trapped (like you were in your car) and not be able to get out. I've had a few bad attacks and have learnt to read the signs, i know what sets me off and can try and control it or avoid those places that will set me off. But at the end of the day i know if i do have an attack i will survive it and i can remove myself if i have to.

The knowledge that I am the one in control is the best thing i can think of to make me feel safe, whatever it is that gives you that control is what i would recomend for anyone, be it medication / therapy, etc. I know even when i'm panicing that i am still in control.

Thanks

benoo5
04-05-04, 23:52
well done alison,you have a great attitude,and the ositive approach that you have,will see you through the hard times.

an idea,that you can use ,when in a pub,is a type of distraction technique..look at the people in the pub...whos got the biggest bum...who smokes...whos got the loudest voice...who drinks spirits,and who drinks pints...whos trying to hide there bald patch.

the hardest part of going out,is thinking about it beforehand,this is where your meditation,and breathing exercises can help...avoidance is a backward step,every time you do avoid,a file enters the brain,and becomes part of your bad memory patterns.

you are such a positive lady,ime glad that you enjoy yourself,i just think a little tune up,will be of great benefit to you.

best wishes.....bryan.