PDA

View Full Version : advice from someone whos been there

Debb
10-06-06, 18:20
bye

nomorepanic
10-06-06, 18:28
Debb

The first steps post we have on here and the website - First steps for overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=firststeps)

says this ....

Have a medical check up. It is seldom that anxiety is purely the result of a medical condition but it is possible.
Tests you can expect routinely for anxiety are an ECG – electrical tracing of the heart and blood tests that include urea and electrolytes, haematology screen and thyroid function.

I always tell people to get any worries checked out and then if it comes back normal and the doctor says it is anxiety then reassure them that way.

Nicola

Wannabeloved85
10-06-06, 18:29
i TOTALLY agree! couldnt say it better myself. It also a lil problem when you read the symptoms and find yourself getting up oin the morning with those symptoms!

trevor
10-06-06, 18:29
hidebb,,

i tottally dissagree with you so much,,90%of our so called illnessses are anxiety related and i think you saying go to your docs with any little symptoms is wrong of you i think you are just scaring people more which is not helpul>????

after reading your post here i WILL not BE READING ANYMORE,,

trevor,

better to fight for something than to live for nothing

marie ross
10-06-06, 18:32
Hi Deb,

I've only been here for a couple of months, and have got to know a lot of the people in here and all their symtoms they are experiencing. If they are having difficulty with a new symtom and are scared, then yes i will reply and tell them to go and see the doctor for reassurance more than anything. Many people in here have been to the doctors many times over and over again with their worries and are told that its just anxiety and panic a lot of the times, but people stilll like to come here and to vent of steam and get reassurance from us all.

I can see where you are coming from, but nearly all the people that use this forum have been to the doctors many times with their problems.

Take care.

Marie XXX

ceecee
10-06-06, 19:14
hi deb i agree with what you are saying to some extent. but i would have to say i really dont know how i would have got through these last few months if it wasnt for the great people on this web site.sometimes us anxiety sufferers just need a little reassurance when a new symptom presents itself and then we have a greater knowledge and so a lot of times we dont dwell on that particular symptom and therefore it sometimes dissappears as quick as it came take care rachel x x

trac67
10-06-06, 19:25
Woah now one way to scare the living daylights out of someone who suffers with panic attacks, anxiety and health anxiety is to put up a thread saying not all symptoms are down to anxiety.

A question if you feel that a forum or chatroom such as the one we have here can be a dangerous place then why are you here posting?

I think everyone will agree with me that unless you have actually suffered from anxiety yourself then you cannot really understand how it feels, yes a doctor can reassure you to a certain extent but unless that doctor has suffered with it themselves they wont be able to put your mind to rest like someone else who has suffered exactly the same symptoms as you have.

I think maybe you post just to cause a stir, and that is not what this forum is about.

Trac

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

sxalabarde
10-06-06, 19:55
I agree with you to some extent. It's true that suffering from anxiety does not automatically prevent us from getting other diseases and any worrying symptoms should be checked out, HOWEVER, speaking from personal experience, I can (like many people here) get myself totally worked up about over tiny symptoms that no one in their right mind would go to see a doctor about. (See for instance, my post about my tremendously worrying 2mm mouth ulcer that cleared up in three days). What I needed then was a bit of reassurance, and I got that here.
I cannot speak for others, but when it comes to me, my problem is not that I will not see a doctor, but that I'm only too ready to do so over stupid things that usually go away in a few days. It's practically the definition of my illness.
I'm eager to accept any unlikely explanation for my symptoms as long as it involves a terminal illness, preferably cancer, and usually disregard any other benign possibilities. So rest assured that I, at least, will go to the doctor if there is just cause (hey, why wouldn't I when I go for lots of things that are just plain ridiculous). Maybe your advice is useful to others, but for me, it's the last thing I need. The hypochondriac inside me wants to believe exactly what you say, that it's not anxiety, that it's something physical and most probably lethal. I think most of my struggle is in realising that it's not.
I repeat, you don't have to tell hypochondriacs to go the doctor, that's mostly what they are famous for anyway.
I'm having a terrible day with anxiety. This week it is the turn of throat cancer. Please see my blog if you have any HELPFUL advice http://sylvie-c.blogspot.com/.

Melissa

nomorepanic
10-06-06, 21:30
By removing your post Deb you just prove that you don't stand by what you said.

Oh well - take care and I hope you find another forum that only helps people that are on medication and see their doctor every day cos that is all you seem to believe in!

Nicola

Daisybun
10-06-06, 22:37
Dear Deb
I think that you need to adopt a little more compassion in your opinions. The people who post on this forum are not all into pity parties, they are desperate, unhappy, frightened and actually need some support. I think that criticising and making personal judgements in this way is not helpful, especially for people who have a low enough personal image anyway, you may be right, this is not the right site for you.

Take care
Daisybun

'This too will pass'

ceecee
10-06-06, 22:44
hi debb im sorry but i have to agree with daisybun on this one!i have suffered from health anxiety for four years and i can assure you im not a self pitying person .only my husband and my dad know i have this condition i would never tell antone else !i try to carry on every day e.g working ,looking after my 2 children.all we want on this web site is to share our thoughts and feelings with others to let them know they are not alone!surely helping someone feel better about themselves isn,t a bad thing.wish you lots of luck in your recovery process take care rachel x

Daisybun
10-06-06, 22:52
Thanks Deb, I hope you find the right place for you. I am still rational in my mind too, I have found it very helpful, as there are not many people outside who can relate to how i feel. I am a professional, run a home, sing in a band and have health anxiety that I am dealing with, this forum ahs helped me to unload and get the support i need. i hope you find what you are looking for.

Take care
Daisybun

'This too will pass'

Wannabeloved85
11-06-06, 11:44
i think she's removed the post because she was slammed by her own opinion.
******hidebb,,

i tottally dissagree with you so much,,90%of our so called illnessses are anxiety related and i think you saying go to your docs with any little symptoms is wrong of you i think you are just scaring people more which is not helpul>????

after reading your post here i WILL not BE READING ANYMORE,,

trevor,*******

Can you really blame her for deleting? everyone has to deal with their illness a differant way. when she wrote that post,she was also saying to herself. Freedom of speech{typing}was free. dont know about now though.
How do we know if something is seriously wrong or not? are we dr's or are we sufferers? Dont take someone elses health into your own hands. we cant diagnose and we cant and DO NOT have the right to say "you are ok, its anxiety" our health is the most precious thing we possess and if were worried, we should seek help, if your not, we dont!
Go on any anxiety site you can find and they say, if your worried, go to the dr. anxiety symptoms are also likable symptoms other diseases, now im not trying to scare anyone, we all {including myself} have posted bout worrying symptoms, but we do have to keep in mind that we can get ill.
Please, dont get worked up over illness's but please also keep in mind that anxiety doesnt make you immune to other illness's. if theres a new symptom and its not on the anxiety list or not well known and your worried, you have the right to stand up for your health and get it checked out.
Sorry ive offended, but i have my opinion
Beccix

kellynwv
11-06-06, 14:41
This is crazy.

So I can't I have freedom of speech on here?

nomorepanic
11-06-06, 16:26
Kelly - of course you can. You can say whatever you want to.

Nicola

trevor
11-06-06, 17:49
hi Wannabeloved85,,

sorry im afraid i dissagree with you how can you say if your worried about your health which is obviously anxiety related why go to the docs its a waste of his time,,
if i wennt to the docs everytime i had a symptom he would have put me in a mental home by now,,
my arm aches,,,my jaw hurts i get headaches i think this is wrong with me i think thats wrong with me come on be sensible,,

ITS ANXIETY,,,

trevor,

better to fight for something than to live for nothing

jackie
11-06-06, 21:09
please everyone this is not an issue of freedom of speech

the fact is we are on a site with people who sufferf rom one anxiety or another. they come on here to feel less alone and less afraid in a world that sometimes fails to recognise their illness

there fore it is essential that in this place we are compassionate and understanding and not flippandt when it comes to others fears, i for one get enough of that on the outside world

debbie was wrong in the way she approached this and no one is for one second taking away her freedom of expression, what we are saying is be careful what you say to the already vulnerable as you could break them

no one is asking for permanent sympathy, i cannot stand pity, but a little empathy goes along way

jackie

darkangel
11-06-06, 21:24
i totally agree with jackie on this issue

we are all rather vulnerable but the last thing we need is to feel even more frightened than we already are - we are not looking for pity - its about showing each other respect and empathy - it should not be about freedom of speech.

darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

Wannabeloved85
11-06-06, 21:46
But it has gone to freedom of speech! she expressed an opinion and she was slammed and felt she had to delete her post! She was not WRONG about anything, what we believe is true, we have our own beliefs and opinions. theres debates and theres slamming, and im afraid she was slammed. As for the symptoms, like i said in my last post, its up to you if you feel you need reasurance from a dr, but we are not the dr's.
Im finished with this convo now.

EmmaJane
11-06-06, 22:31
Hi all,

Is it me, but Im abit lost here...

The topic seems to start with Debb saying Bye and then everyones views after. Was there a posting before this, that I have missed???

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.

nomorepanic
11-06-06, 22:38
EmmaJane - Debb removed her post I am afraid so you won't be easily able to follow this thread now.

Nicola

EmmaJane
11-06-06, 22:41
Ok Nicola,

It sounds like one of those, Id rather not get into anyway.

Hope your well

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.