PDA

View Full Version : Best Medication for Anxiety

mike2512
10-01-12, 17:01
Hi, Im just wondering what you opinions are on the best medication for Anxiety? I was on Citalopram for 7 years and have been off them for 14 months but im really struggling with day to day life. I wake up anxious in the mornings and as the day goes on i get this weird feeling its very hard to explain il be doing something ie cleaning up but my mind will be elsewere then il get this sort of split second head shock its very scary. I cannot stop thinking about death and its making me feel awful. Iv been the doctors and he said i need to go back on citalopram but the side effects coming off them lasted well i still get the head zaps now so i feel my body still hasnt adjusted after 14 months off them. I hate the off balance feeling i get all the time, i turn my eyes and i feel strange i cant cope with this. I have a very supportive wife and 3 lovely kids but im always complaining im ill. I just dont feel right at all in my head. So i think its time i took some medication to help lift my mood and hopefully the weird head sensations will stop. Im also waiting for some CBT but its taking ages. Thanks

pinkdove
10-01-12, 18:03
Hi Mike,I;m sorry you are feeling so bad just now.

However if the citalopram worked for you before then it should again, I know it is hard to get off it, I have reduced down from 60mg since last april, but only 5mg every 4-5 weeks, but in december going from 25 to 20mg was a step too far, so went back up last week to 25mg, and am doing ok and this is my second time on cit,

I know you will be looking for a quick cure , but the truth is there is'nt one, but if you feel so bad ask your gp to predscribe some diazapam to help you over the first couple of weeks or so. my advice is take your gp's advice, bite the bullet and start the meds if they helped.

Wishing you well, and good luck xx

BigDaz
10-01-12, 19:23
I've been on Amitriptyline for 8 years or so. It's not addictive and minimal side effects. I don't know how it compares to other drugs though because I haven't had any reason to change.

haz
10-01-12, 23:25
There is no one answer to this question. Different people seem to do better on different meds. It's trial and error I'm afraid but there are plenty of them and you will find one that suits.

For me personally, diazepam is great for short term relief and I found paroxetine to be the best for long term treatment, although sadly it stopped working after 14 years. I'm now on sertraline.

Good Luck. x