PDA

View Full Version : Really struggling to manage my panic attacks

StressedStudentNurse
11-01-12, 10:19
Hi,

Im a first year student nurse and only started my course in September. I started having my panic attacks shortly after starting my course and I can have as many as 8 in a day and its so exhausting, especially with having to go to lectures. I don't sleep well anymore and I often wake up in the middle of the night having a panic attack. I'm now on placement and quite a few times I've had panic attacks while working. I've been using 'Bach's rescue remedy spray' but its very hit and miss as to whether it works or not. I have tried asking for help via the university and all I have heard from anyone I asked is 'are you sure your right for the course?' They have completely knocked any confidence I had as I have always wanted to do this. University are referring me to occupational health and Im worried im going to get thrown off my course. I spoke to a nurse from there when I was getting a Hepatitis B injection and she asked me if im right for it too. I just don't know what to do anymore. Please can someone advise me on what I can do to control my panic attacks?
Thanks.

sickandtired
11-01-12, 11:01
You could try beta blockers,but they may only help with the physical symptoms....it wont take away the panic completely.If you explain to your doctor about your course etc....he may be able to give you something stronger.
Personally,Ive ended up taking fluoxetine as the panic attacks were happening more frequent and I was becoming agrophobic and depressed.The side effects were rotten for the first 2/3 weeks.(I couldnt have worked as it gave me severe insomnia)...but now Im alot calmer now and havent had a panic attack for 2 weeks.Im afraid there,s no quick easy solution,but I would see the doctor soon,because it certainly saps all your strength and self esteem

StressedStudentNurse
11-01-12, 14:40
I've been to the doctors and the first couple of times, they refused to put me on anything as medication is a last resort. Im also now on fluoxetine which I started yesterday. I really hope I don't get too many side affects with them as I can't really have time off from my placement. Wish there was a quick fix against them. After panic attacks I always feel so exhausted. I had one the other morning before placement and I was so tired throughout my shift.

snowgoose
11-01-12, 15:34
Hi Student Nurse :)
so sorry to read that you are struggling so much with panic . It is so exhausting
just read that you have started meds .
Did you have anxiety before uni? And how much support are you getting from home ? Are you studying away from home ? sorry for all the questions ..just trying to get some background info :hugs:

The truth is that it takes time to get so ill and time to get better again .......but you will !!
look back to your reasons for wanting to be a nurse and make sure it is what You want and not others expectation . A wonderful arduous job . And with your sensitivity you will make good empathetic one :hugs:
IF for some reason you need time off to recover then surely you can maybe go back and catch up later when stronger . You are young love and will and can get your calm back promise . lots of time to get the career you want .
let us know how you are when you can
Snow
x

pinkdove
11-01-12, 15:41
Hi i totally agree with snowy, don't put too much pressure on yourself, and if you need too take some time off, even if it is just a short break to get your anxiety under control, and catch up on sleep,

You will be able to concentrate, and work better when you feel better, and if you really want to do this, you will do it, you are suffering just now, and probably need some time out, to help your recovery, but recover you will.

Good luck and be kind to yourself, you are not alone xx

Worriedgirl87
12-01-12, 21:49
I'm going through the same thing. I want to be a nurse and I am getting panic attacks. It's terrible. I don't want to quit, but I might have to because my panic attacks are taking very my life.

thesavior23
14-01-12, 01:49
Hi, I'm sorry to hear that. I've been going thru a lot of panic attach for more that 5 months now.. The reason is about my job ( that I'm not happy with) , mortgage, bills, getting married and death.. Everyday I'm alone at home I can't help but cry.. I always asking why,why I have chest pain,why I feel so down, why I don't wanna get out with friends, why I'm not happy with my life,and why I'm afraid to die... My doctor book me a psychiatry for me, and gave me pills for my anxiety... I'm praying to god that I hope everything will be alright so that we can start a family.. Like you I feel the same way too.. You need someone to talk too and go to gp and get help.. And remember all of this are normal.. We are not freak were just human. God bless.

D47C
14-01-12, 03:39
You probably know this, panicing about panicing is the greatest source of panic. Sometimes you just to have find somewhere you feel relaxed and stay there for awhile.

Stormsky
14-01-12, 08:14
hi
The thing to know with panic attacks is, you have an attack and then you panic... i suffered for years before taking that on board.... in other words you cant stop an attack (where you feel sensations coming on of rapid heart beat etc) but you can chose how to respond... i havent had a panic attack in years, i do still get the odd attack, but when i feel it coming, i just dont panic... its panic that adds fuel and gets the adrenaline going into full blown panic attack,, without adrenaline the attack dies away...

StressedStudentNurse
14-01-12, 17:32
Thanks everyone for your posts.
Snowgoose - i have a lot of past issues from my childhood i haven't dealt with properly yet as it was only brought into the open a year ago. I get a lot of support from home from my mum and yes im away from home - about an hour away, but im not homesick.
Think I really need to work on my management of stress and panic and just generally how I deal with it. I have asthma too so panic attacks don't do that any favours. There are a lot of problems at home too, like money issues and my mum is ill so I worry about that a lot. My younger sister is getting bullied in high school and she isn't coping very well and won't open up to anyone. I think I just have a lot on my plate right now and people are always telling me I expect too much of myself and I need to relax and take my time. I just don't know how to.
Worriedgirl87 - I've felt like quitting so many times since starting, but im thinking if I just keep at it and try to overcome them, within time they will go away and ill be ok again. My friend told me to really think about if this is what I want. If it is, put all your time, thought and effort into achieving the best I can. Then there will be no time to worry. :) just don't rush into making a decision you might regret in the future.

apm
02-10-13, 14:54
Hi there,

One thing to remember, this won't affect your ability to be a great nurse. It's something you need to get through, and then it won't be an issue.

It's worth remembering that we are all on a journey towards recovery, and each occasion of panic or anxiety is just a blip on that journey, and small bump in the upward trend! :yesyes:

Keep the faith and get help where you can... the professionals will help you to manage this yourself.

Take care,

Alex.

debs71
02-10-13, 15:09
Hi Hun,

I'm sorry you are struggling so much. I think that if you are able to address your anxiety, which you have had before starting your course, then there is no reason that you cannot proceed with your ambition to nurse.

The main, good thing is that you are starting meds, but I am quite concerned that you are coping with all of this while undergoing your placement. It puts a great deal of pressure on you, but at the same time it could be the best thing for you to remain occupied as being busy does help with distracting our minds from the anxiety and panic.

I am not surprised that you got the reactions you received from the University staff, and I think it is pretty disgraceful that a health faculty and particularly a nurse are not helping you find ways to manage your anxiety but still remain on your course. I can understand in one way their hesitations - I was a Paeds Nurse for 10 years and it is a tough job - mentally and physically - but I am sure that you were already well aware of this, and clearly have a dream to nurse, and if that is your dream, you WILL achieve it and have the drive to succeed. It is just that at this point in time, you need support and time to deal with the anxiety.

Do you have a dedicated tutor/mentor who is overlooking your placement? Could you speak to them privately and explain/inform them of your situation? It is important to confide in someone or have someone you can tell if you do find you need time out whilst adjusting to the meds and handling the anxiety. It is entirely possible to take time out. I knew many students who did so, and then made up their placement hours at a later date.

Lots of hugs to you.:hugs: