PDA

View Full Version : Scared after having smear done !!

kittykat
11-01-12, 10:26
Hi everyone.......i have not been on here for absolute ages as i have been working really hard to keep my anxiety under control :) , but am looking for a bit of advice.
Had a smear test last night and whilst she was doing it it felt very uncomfortable and a wee bit sore, never had this before so am really worried now as well. Also when i had sex with my hubby the last time don't know if he went too deep (sorry) but i had a pain with it like he was hitting something ,told him to be a bit more gentle and it was okay, i've not had any bleeding / discharge , spotting in between periods or abdominal pain and all my smears have been clear, but this one with the pain whilst she was doing it has really frightened me , can't help but think something is wrong. Now im going to drive myself crazy waiting on these results, has anyone experienced this before , and cant help thinking that what if it started right after my last clear smear 3 years is a while for something to be going on inside you. Any advice would be great to help me stay sane ty xx

LuSmith
11-01-12, 20:28
Oh hun! I didn't want to read and run, seeing as its a very scary situation to feel left in if you don't know whats going on.

I had a normal smear two years ago, and yet am going through some very abnormal bleeding atm, with pains and all the likes, but have been told by the doctors that they don't even think its something serious even with all this, so even though I can imagine you probably are thinking the worst right now, its very doubtful you have anything to worry about cnsidering there are no other symptoms :) Its likely that its just tender for some reason, I've found sex very painful at times with no explanation!

I know you'll worry yourself silly but try to stay relaxed and just wait for the results, I'm sure its nothing abnormal and if there was any bad cells you'd be very unlikely to have anything bad for the last 3 years so it'd be easily taken care of :)

Liliana83
16-01-12, 21:25
Try to relax. There is no reason for you to panic (speaking from personal experience)...please keep us posted on results.

EmmerLooeez
16-01-12, 22:28
Hey,

Try not to worry yourself, I'm sure that everything is fine :) It takes considerably longer than 3 years (around 15, if I remember I correctly) for cancer to develop so try not to worry yourself. Smears are there to test for precancerous cells rather than cancer. When smears do come back as abnormal they are usually either borderline, slight/moderate/severe cell changes. (Sometimes graded as CIN1, CIN2 and CIN3, though these are normally diagnosed through a colposcopy) Borderline changes and slight changes usually revert back to normal by themselves and are no means of concern (though I know that's easier said than done). Moderate and severe changes have also been known to revert, but sometimes need treatment.
Detecting an actual cancer or carcinoma in situ is extremely rare and even then they are not incurable.

The feeling of your husband 'hitting' something is something that I've experienced, it may just be the stage that you're at in your monthly cycle as your cervix changes positions a few times during the month, it is usually higher up around ovulation (14 days-ish before your period is due) and then lower before and after ovulation. If you were at a certain stage in your cycle then that could certainly account for said sensation.

I've had 4 smears and only 2 were uncomfortable, I think it (again) depends where abouts you are in your cycle (relating to cervical density) and the gyn that performs the smear - 2 have been painless, I bled after one and experienced pain with another.

If you suffer with health anxiety then you will naturally be prone to worry more about procedures like this, and quite naturally.

I'm sure everything is fine chicken, it's easier said than done but try not to worry yourself too much over it. Your results will be with you soon and will provide you with peace of mind. :)

Take care, hope you're well,
Emma.x