PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety: GP wont prescribe, can I go private?

miamoo
11-01-12, 11:34
Hi everyone, I'm new here and found you while I was googling:)

Basically I have suffered from anxiety since I was a child due to very serious issue's that I wont go into here. As I've got older the anxiety has developed into depression and I went to see my doctor around 8yrs ago.
My doctor was great an it took around 2yrs to get me stable and happy. I took citalopram which totally dealt with the depression, and really helped with the anxiety. He was also happy to prescribe me Zopiclone and Diazapam on a very low dose for use on a very occasional basis, for any anxiety break through.
(Zopiclone lowest dose 14 tablets prescribed every 4-5 mths max)
(Diazapam 28 2mg tabs prescribed again every 4-5 months).

My doctor was fantastic, really understood me, and my life was happy.
3years ago when he retired, I have had hell trying to get another GP (I have seen lots!) to prescribe me the Zopiclone and Diazapam, they just say no, untill I break down, cry even beg (how humiliating) because I just need to have that extra help occasionally (I really am talking occasionally, once a fortnight at most).
Dont get me wrong, they all give me the prescription in the end, but I cant keep going through this, its causing me more distress, not less, and I feel as though I cant go on like this.
I totally understand the risk of addiction but surely 1 tablet approx once a fortnight isnt putting me at risk.

My only other option now is to see a private GP, cost isnt an issue, and the extra time to speak to him/her is only going to be a bonus. Will a private GP prescribe me these tablets on an occasional basis under my circumstances?
Or am I being unreasonable with my requests?
Thanks for reading x

pinkdove
11-01-12, 12:01
Hi and :welcome: to nmp.

No you re not being unreasonable at all, it makes me so annoyed when gp's won't or don't understand the effects of acute anxiety.

I had the same problems as you when i wa sfirst ill, but i must admiit i was using diazapam quite a lot, but now i am recovering my gp will prescribe me 14 2mg tabs every 2 months or do, since i told them i need them in certain situations.

They are not on my repeat precription, but when i need then i just add it to the bottom of the script, i know you say that cost is'nt an issue, but you should be able to get the help you need on the nhs, i would talk to one of the gp's and explain the added distress they are causing you, and that you do not or woyld not abuse the meds.

I wish you good luck, i know how hard this can be. take care x

miamoo
11-01-12, 12:36
Thank you so much for the reply, I really have told them how I feel and each time they say 'yes ok I will give it to you just this once, but no more' then I try a different GP (in same surgery) and same again.

I have spoken to a private GP just now, and he was lovely. He said that he has no problem at all prescribing me what I have asked for on a 4 monthly basis. The actual meds cost isnt much more than I pay from my NHS GP, but obviously I have to pay for a full consultation.
I do agree though that when you pay ridiculous amounts of tax, its so unfair I have to pay again, just because you cant find an understanding GP.
I have the option of keeping my private consultation private, or them telling my NHS GP, I am not sure what to do on this?
My NHS GP while 'nice' isnt really understanding(lack of time), and obviously will be annoyed I have gone against their wishes. I'll discuss it with the private GP, and see what they recommend. Thanks again xx

london
11-01-12, 15:39
going private you may still not get them . as he will give you what he thinks is best
its not like years ago when private doctor was like sweet shops with pick and mix them days are gone
i am sorry fot you that the new doctor is being like this to you
i would get a new gp one who unser stands you good luck
god bless

miamoo
11-01-12, 17:46
Thank you for the reply, I have spoken to the private GP and he said on the phone that under my circumstances he would see no problem giving me the prescription. Obviously he wants to speak to me, and I am booking in for a 30min appointment, where he will take my full medical history, family history and discuss my situation.
Why do you think he will say no?

Littlehelper123
11-01-12, 17:48
Heya , sounds like you've had a bit of a hassle !

Thing is, most of the time if you GP won't give you the medication there is a pretty good reason. They probably feel that you should try without it.

Best thing to do is ween yourself off of it. No it's not doing any harm to you now , but long term it could (not trying to scare you x)

Try talking to your GP and see what they advise you do if they won't prescribe you. Going private won't be any better, if anything they'll be firmer. Try natural medications and therapy for your stress because I've done really well without medication.

Hope things work out x

miamoo
11-01-12, 18:10
Hi thanks, yes I agree with you to a point. I know that its better to try and cope without meds, but I'm taking 40mg Citalopram and I couldnt cope without this.
As I said before, its not that the docs WONT prescribe me the meds, they always do eventually.
I'm not addicted, and I really dont need to wean myself off it, I've been taking the odd tablet here and there for the last 5ish years. I NEVER take more than 1 tablet a week. I dont take a Zopiclone, if I've taken a Diazapam and vice versa. I do use the tablets as an emotional crutch, I admit that, but just knowing I have them is usually enough, and I can cope without one.
I do appreciate your opinion, and reading the forums it seems alot of people have problems with Diazepam, so I see where your coming from.

Alabasterlyn
11-01-12, 19:43
I think your GP is being very unfair. I have a friend who takes Zopiclone, she takes it maybe twice a week and inbetween if she can't sleep she will take one of those anti histamine type meds that make you sleepy. Her GP is fine prescribing it to her because like you she takes the medication sensibly. There was a big article in The Daily Mail last week about Zopiclone and how lots of GP's are prescribing it on a much more regular basis than you take it, so I can't see how the amount you take is doing any harm at all. Not being able to sleep is awful and your GP really shouldn't be giving you such a hard time.

I know a lot of GP's are more reluctant to prescribe Diazepam because the NICE guidelines changed, but once again they are only guidelines and GP's are allowed to use their discretion.

I hope you manage to get this problem sorted out and would be interested to hear what the private GP has to say about it.

miamoo
11-01-12, 20:29
Thank you for your post. I will definately let you know how I get on.
I think the main reason none of the GP's around here will prescribe these meds is they are being forced to reduce the number of prescriptions they give out. I really dont think thats for my benefit, or in my best interests, its just to keep there figures down.
The fact that they keep giving me the tablets (after I beg,plead,cry) just proves that they are an option for me, so why make me humiliate myself just to get something that I can simply ask for, it seems, if I pay privately.

haz
11-01-12, 23:23
Why don't you ask to be referred to a psychiatrist?

Has your GP offered alternative medication?

macc noodle
12-01-12, 07:48
Hi

Sorry you feel that the doc(s) not being helpful BUT it would be irresponsible of a doctor to continue to prescribe medications that can be addictive and that they feel you do not need.

Both Zoplicone and Diazepam are known to have addictive properties, hence the reason why the docs will only prescribe you "emergency doses" rather than a repeat prescription for habitual useage.

You need to go back to a GP at your practice and explain your feelings and ask for alternative help in overcoming your problems - demanding a prescription for the drugs you want is just not an option if the GP feels that there is a reason why they are not suitable for you - maybe you should ask why they are taking this line so that you can at least consider your options.

Paying to see a private GP for drugs of this nature does seem a rather extreme option and does, dare I say it, sound like someone who is far too reliant on the drugs in any event.

As a matter of interest also, I have not heard of anyone seeing a private GP for a prescription and then being able to use NHS services for the fulfilment of that prescription - did not know that happened - I thought once you sought private medical counsel that you then had to pay for whatever they prescribed.

Anyways, consider going back to the GP and see what they can suggest - a referral to the Mental Health services would be an excellent start - and I might add, if a psychiatrist thinks that you need the drugs you are asking for, then they will be prescribed in the appropriate manner.

Good luck

Macc Noodle
x

Alabasterlyn
12-01-12, 08:27
Hi

Both Zoplicone and Diazepam are known to have addictive properties, hence the reason why the docs will only prescribe you "emergency doses" rather than a repeat prescription for habitual useage.

I used to be on an 8wkly repeat for benzos, the NICE guidelines have now reduced that down to a 4wkly repeat, which is stupid as I am still taking the same medication, but having to pay out twice as much. The point I am making here is that GP's are still giving out prescriptions for benzos on a regular basis. I am not saying I totally agree with it, as obviously they are addictive, but I was under the impression that Zopiclone was a Class Z drug so not considered to be as much of a problem as the Diazepam.

mikewales
12-01-12, 08:57
I think there are new guidelines for prescribing diazepam, a lot of docs now only give out weekly supplies, and often they will only do this for a couple of weeks for emergencies rather than using them as a long term treatment. This could be why your doc has stopped them.

JaneC
12-01-12, 09:26
Miamoo, I think it's a real shame that your are being forced to go private. Docs should be able to see from your records that you are not abusing them and your usage is responsible and not addictive. In the summer, my GP gave me temazepam for insomnia, which had I put with for about 15 years. It has made such a difference to my life and I wish I'd got it years ago. However I never use it more than 3 times a week. Also, there seem to be people on here who use diazepam daily on a long-term basis. Where is the consistency in that. Good luck with the private GP and I'm really sorry you have been put through so much hassle x

miamoo
12-01-12, 09:45
Thanks for the replies.
I am happy to pay for the drugs privately, I'm not expecting a NHS prescription.

I have already said that the GP does ALWAYS give me the meds.
I dont demand them, I just have to go into my whole story/history everytime getting upset obviously due my circumstances(they have never read my notes they dont have time I suppose).
If my GP would give me the meds I asked for say every 6mths, I would be happy, I could cope with that. But its the battle that I have to go through everytime my script runs out.

Basically what I was asking when I first wrote this, is that CAN a GP prescribe Zopiclone/Diazapam on a regular basis say every 5mths, 28 lowest dose tablets of each. To be used on a VERY occasional basis.
The doctors dont have any other alternatives for me, hence the reason they always prescribe 'just this once'.

I really dont need to see a psyciatrist, I am well generally, as I said my main symptoms are kept under controll with the citalopram.

JaneC
12-01-12, 09:56
Miamoo, my first prescription for 28 temazepam lasted seven months. When it was close to running out, I phoned my surgery's repeat prescription line, just as I do with my other medications, and was given a further 28 without seeing the doc, no questions asked x

miamoo
12-01-12, 10:03
I am really quite upset by some of the posts on here, I also notice that some drugs do get given out 'like sweets' by NHS GP's by people who abuse them, and then go back for more, which the GP then happily prescribes.
These people get sympathy on here, yet I am clinging on by my finger nails to my life, my work, my family and yes occasionally I need abit of extra help. An I am accused of being 'demanding'.
I had an awfull childhood(like alot of others here). I was sexually abused since I was 5 along with my sister by all of my mums boyfriends, with my mums knowledge. My sister is in a mental hospital, thats how well she coped with it.
I cope how I can, which I think is amazingly well considering
I have had counselling/CBT/hypnotherapy/acupuncture they me helped a great deal, but at the end of the day, no one can wipe my memory. I get by and now have built myself a happy life a good job an amazing husband and a lovely home.
99% of my life is happy, but I see something on tv sometimes I'm ok but sometimes it can drag me back there, I dont want to live like that, I refuse to live like that if there is an alternative. I really didnt want to go into this here.
Thank you to everyone who has posted I will get back to you when I've seen the Private GP, and let you know how I go.

Alabasterlyn
12-01-12, 11:44
What worries me most about all of this is the total lack of knowledge and understanding by GP's. When they do their training they do very little on mental health problems, hence their total lack of empathy with patients a lot of the time. My own GP practice, where there are about 7 GP's, are all pretty clueless about anxiety.

If we go to our GP for help with smoking then we will be offered tons of FREE support, despite people making the choice to smoke. Go to them with an anxiety disorder, something that you haven't created yourself and you are treated like some kind of nut job who has to beg for help.

If someone can't sleep and a GP isn't willing to prescribe something, then they should at least offer something else that will work or refer the patient to someone who can help them.

miamoo
12-01-12, 12:24
None of the GP's around here are sympathetic to people with anxiety problems, I only realise just how bad they are, because I did have a great and very sympathetic GP.

Alabasterlyn
12-01-12, 12:35
None of the GP's around here are sympathetic to people with anxiety problems, I only realise just how bad they are, because I did have a great and very sympathetic GP.

Sadly it doesn't surprise me. I've had anxiety since 1970 and haven't found any GP, psychologist or psychiatrist that has really understood the stuff I have told them about. I always get the feeling that as anxiety disorders are classed as a "neurosis" rather than a "psychosis" that many professionals find it hard to know how to treat us. Most of us just accept the poor quality of help we are offered and plod on regardless and we are allowed to just plod on as we aren't a threat to ourselves or the community at large.

miamoo
12-01-12, 12:51
I'm so sorry to hear that you are going through the same thing. What you have said is spot on. x

clc
12-01-12, 12:53
Dont get me started on GPs! I've been told to start citalopram stop it after a week. Start fluanxol stop it after a week as it blurred my vision and couldn't drive. GP told me it was addictive when the leaflet and pharmacist said its not. started citalopram again as I was getting worse. told by the doc to start in 5mg due to my weight. told by the next one I could up to 20mg. Begged for propanol even though I had taken it before. They just know nothing and I have seen about 7 different GPs mostly locums who are useless.

As far as I'm concerned of it improves your life who cares if it's addictive! You just have to take it for the rest of your life.

My dad laugh at citalopram as he was just given Valium when he got depression! He didn't get addicted and has never had it since!!

miamoo
12-01-12, 13:03
clc I have to say I have been taking Citalopram for more years than I can remember lol! I have found it amazing, and it has helped me so much. Stick with it, it takes time to work but you will get there x

clc
12-01-12, 13:32
Miamoo thanks thats always nice to hear!! I am determined for it to work! X

Greenman50
12-01-12, 14:01
Hi Miamoo

I hope you get on with the private Dr and he gives you the extra help you need via the meds .,
you are very sensible with them by the sounds of it , i just think peeps are trying to look out for incase you got addictive .
I,ve had valium on prescription , one dr would let me have 14 x 2mg per month but only short term then wanted to put me on something non addictive but i managed without . I think some can get addicted to them like some people can with alcohol .
I know what you mean about something on the tv etc bringing it all back , i wish i had some valium yesterday when i needed it .

Jonquil
12-01-12, 19:35
I wonder whether you have thought about trying to find a different NHS GP practice- you are perfectly entitled to do this and it may be that in the current practice they just have a policy on prescribing diazipam. It may also be that it is not a great practice. The practice I used to be registered with was dreadful- I had so many bad expereinces and when I complained officially they just ignored it. I ended up just not going to the Doctor unless I really had to (e.g really bad throat infection that I couldn't eat or sleep because pain was so bad). Now I am registered with a different practice. The doctors are so good, have been prescribed what I need including diazepam when needed and given the time I need when I need it to talk.I feel that the practice is really geared up for dealing with me and my anxiety, and so different from previous expereince. Hope you get the help you need one way or another. Jx

Alabasterlyn
13-01-12, 08:18
There was an item about insomnia on BBC Breakfast today. They interviewed a psychiatrist from Imperial College Hospital who runs a special sleep clinic. He was saying how a combination of strong medication and CBT was the answer, yet he had been unable in over 2yrs to find any CBT therapist who was actually trained to help people with insomnia. It was also pointed out how the majority of GP's don't realise the extent of how insomnia affects a person.

dan1234
05-03-12, 12:52
Sorry to revive an old thread but I also have experienced the same as the OP.

My GP prescribed me 7 X 2mg diazepam tablets X3 so 21 tablets which I used over 4 months. She then refused to prescribe me more.

I went to a private psychiatrist who prescribed me 30 X 2mg diazepam tablets in one go without question or any problems.

I use them sparingly and with caution. My shrink said below 6mg daily for 2-3 weeks is very very unlikely to cause any form of addiction.

The 30 tablets should last me a couple of months, and he said he would have no problem issuing another prescription. He charges £15 for the script if I don't have a consultation with him. So less than £20 for a couple of months supply of diazepam is worth it in my book.

Alabasterlyn
05-03-12, 15:39
Sorry to revive an old thread but I also have experienced the same as the OP.

My GP prescribed me 7 X 2mg diazepam tablets X3 so 21 tablets which I used over 4 months. She then refused to prescribe me more.

I went to a private psychiatrist who prescribed me 30 X 2mg diazepam tablets in one go without question or any problems.

I use them sparingly and with caution. My shrink said below 6mg daily for 2-3 weeks is very very unlikely to cause any form of addiction.

The 30 tablets should last me a couple of months, and he said he would have no problem issuing another prescription. He charges £15 for the script if I don't have a consultation with him. So less than £20 for a couple of months supply of diazepam is worth it in my book.

I think NHS GP's are being too cautious now and are denying benzos to patients who aren't going to abuse them. Surely a GP should decide on an individual basis whether he thinks it's okay to prescribe benzos and all they need to do then is keep an eye on the amount of repeat prescriptions they give out and also ensure they routinely ask the patient to come in and talk about the issues that they need them for in case it's something they are able to offer other kinds of help for, like therapy for example. When you think how much you pay for an NHS prescription it's not really a lot more to pay out £15 and feel secure in the knowledge that you can get more when you need them without having to beg for them.

dan1234
05-03-12, 15:52
I think NHS GP's are being too cautious now and are denying benzos to patients who aren't going to abuse them. Surely a GP should decide on an individual basis whether he thinks it's okay to prescribe benzos and all they need to do then is keep an eye on the amount of repeat prescriptions they give out and also ensure they routinely ask the patient to come in and talk about the issues that they need them for in case it's something they are able to offer other kinds of help for, like therapy for example. When you think how much you pay for an NHS prescription it's not really a lot more to pay out £15 and feel secure in the knowledge that you can get more when you need them without having to beg for them.

Its reassuring to know should I need more I don't need to go to my GP and beg for more.

LAURA48
05-03-12, 16:48
Dan - did you have to go through your GP to get a private referral? - I am the same boat with Lorazepam - never abuse them but do not get many and doctor would not increase (going through a bad patch) just wondered!

Thanks Laura

bignik
05-03-12, 17:10
they dont understand simply imho they havent experienced it at the levels probaly most of us suffer from , they work on the basis as one would expect say if you stepped out in front of a car and got a fright .. heart races etc ..

My wife has a fear of dogs , she will walk across the road to avoid , I say to her how do you feel when you see a dog , she says my heart jumps I feel sick etc ... I say how would you feel if one would come up to you and lick your hand ... she says I would die

I look at her and say well if you can imagine that feeling sweetheart it is how I feel every waking moment except I have no where to run

hope that makes sense

and as for addiction etc to diazepam or whatever , I would rather that , than waking up in the middle of night and piling loads of paracetamol into my mouth , which I did in one instance .. and the reason why ... nothing more than a panic attack at peak when I was ignorant and so sure I was going mad.

so brings me back to .... "neurosis" rather than a "psychosis" , I dont know , piling handfuls of paracetamol certainly isnt normal is it .. Ive got a wife and three kids ... I dont want to die

and if a medication keeps me calm and normal Im fine with that

dan1234
05-03-12, 17:46
Dan - did you have to go through your GP to get a private referral? - I am the same boat with Lorazepam - never abuse them but do not get many and doctor would not increase (going through a bad patch) just wondered!

Thanks Laura

Hiya,

Basically the story is I was tried on citalopram amitriptyline, propranolol and prozac. The prozac made me violent etc. Referred by GP to NHS psychiatrist. She offered me CBT and refused to prescribe meds, saying she wanted to try CBT out although she hadn't ruled meds out. I was at my worse at this point - couldn't cope, function etc. ( Tried CBT twice before.)

Not happy. Went private without a letter at all from my GP. The private psychiatrist was happy to see me without a GP referral. He prescribed Pregabalin and gave me 30 x2mg diazepam. He has written to my GP about diazepam, but If I have problems getting some I can always go back to him.

LAURA48
05-03-12, 17:53
Thanks Dan

dan1234
05-03-12, 18:11
Thanks Dan

Unless you have complex problems a private GP may prescribe for you?? Probs cheaper aswell!

miamoo
24-03-12, 18:32
I'm really sorry I didn't come back and let you know how I got on!
The Private Doctor was brilliant, I got the tablets I needed had a really good chat and he has offered a repeat prescription to keep my costs down. Since I have seen him I have only needed to take 5 tablets, I have got an amazing new job and I am really happy. Just knowing that the tablets are there is all I need 9 times out of 10 :)
I am sad for the other people that are feeling how I felt though, and not everyone can afford to pay for private treatment, so its really unfair. Thanks again everyone who replied x

Julianne
25-03-12, 22:51
Thank you for the reply, I have spoken to the private GP and he said on the phone that under my circumstances he would see no problem giving me the prescription. Obviously he wants to speak to me, and I am booking in for a 30min appointment, where he will take my full medical history, family history and discuss my situation.
Why do you think he will say no?

Good that you have contacted a private doctor and have now got what you wanted. In my own experience a private doctor is more likely to give you what you want provided there are no obvious dangers in prescribing it. You are paying them to listen to you and to help you and usually they go with what you want, if they don't pay another guy until you do get it, you say cost is no problem so that is your obvious route. Remember they are there to help you not create obstacles or hoops to jump through, you are not paying them for that. Being a private patient puts you in the driving seat not the guy the other side of the desk who is beholdened to the NHS.

NHS GPs are obliged to cut down on the medications you refer to and will very rarely ever prescribe those anymore.

good wishes

Neutralview
01-09-16, 18:56
I'm think about looking for a private GP/doctor does anyone know where I can find private gps/doctors who'd prescribe benzos are there any websites??

MyNameIsTerry
02-09-16, 04:50
I'm think about looking for a private GP/doctor does anyone know where I can find private gps/doctors who'd prescribe benzos are there any websites??

No, because websites in the UK would be illegal as Benzo's are not only prescribed medicines but controlled drugs.

You will find plenty of online pharmacies that will need a prescription. If you buy them from outside the UK, since some countries seem to care less about controlling drugs on the trafficking list by the UN, then Customs can just seize them as it's covered under the charge of "trafficking".

If a GP decides to prescribe them, that's up to them.

Hu
19-04-18, 15:09
Hello everybody,

Not sure if this is still arelevant thread but here goes.

So about me - PTSD (childhood traumas) generalized anxiety disorder, panic attacks, intermittent agoraphobia, 4 suicide attempts. Emigrated october 2015Severe traumatic violent experiences october 2015 more in 2017 and yet more in 2018. Took to alcohol for first time in my life. Present day - Blackouts, unconsciousness and severe injuries from alcohol abuse.

Was under the care of a kinesiologist for about 10 years and functioned like most responsible adults - work, uni, running household, looking after dogs, married and mostly happy and content. Kinesiologist emigrated. I continued to cope and actually thrive.
Since 2015, when the proverbial hit the fan, i broke - completely.

Rescued an abused puppy from the side of the road (abroad) in 2016 and brought him back to London - found out earlier this year that hes actually a feral dog. Poor soul was himself traumatised and badly abused and has severe anxity too (sarcastic LOL). His is escalating to the point of aggression.

Long story short, his vet prescribed HIM xanax. Doesnt do anything for him (he has a wonderful behaviourist whos helping us and him) so fidos zanax just lay on the kitchen counter. About a month ago, when i felt the daily 'hell cycle of panic and anxiety' start to kick off in my head i was terrified id binge drink and figured, lets take a xanax. OMF - 15mins later sanity arrived.

Earliest i could see a kinesiologist is 29/04/18. Went to GP on tuesday explained my tale of woe - she told me to go to my boroughs centre for addictions and asked to see me again today. Went to addiction centre yesterday, left and one of my common triggers kicked in - popped in to nearest off licence, got me a medium bottle of my poison, downed it and passed out at home. Explained to her about yesterdays episode. Asked if i could have 10 x 0.5mg zanax tablets. Not 10 packs - 10 tablets!!! She refused. Asked if there was anything at all she could do for me. She said no. I needed to go t the addiction centre and do whatever they suggested. Next scheduled visit there is monday.

Cut to the chase - apparently the secret to solving my problem according to my esteemed gp : I JUST NEED TO HAVE POSITIVE THOUGHTS. Cant imagine why i didnt think of that before. Super-duper LOL. Fidos vet is happy to re-fill his script - 30 x 0.5mg zanax for mommy.

Interestingly, i have refused meds in the past eg SSRIs and other anti-depressionmeds. I swear by kinesiology, reiki, massage, lots of time in nature with my dogs, switching from corporate to creative. I was in the best place id ever known.

The zanax is for the next month max to give my kinesiologist some time to help me.

Rant over.