PDA

View Full Version : Kalms..??

zombie
11-01-12, 12:52
Has anyone tried taking them to ease their anxiety? I know they're only herbal, but just wondered if anyone found they helped or has any alternative suggestions.

Z

clc
11-01-12, 13:20
I didn't really find them useful I'm afraid although my anxiety is really strong! I you don't want to use meds maybe consider meditation? I'm just about to start as I have heard mindfulness CBT is one of the best treatments!

lleksam
11-01-12, 13:27
I found they did little to nothing for my anxiety. They're not really meant for an anxiety disorder.

Mindfulness CBT can be very effective.

robinbrum
11-01-12, 13:31
Never found them any good at all, like most of the natural "remedies" you will find in Holland and Barrett and Boots. There's a lot of money to be made from it though so I guess someone's feeling happy.
Oh slap my cynical wrists:D

zombie
11-01-12, 13:42
Never found them any good at all, like most of the natural "remedies" you will find in Holland and Barrett and Boots. There's a lot of money to be made from it though so I guess someone's feeling happy.
Oh slap my cynical wrists:D

Afraid I'm a member of the cynical club too..:blush:

But just thought I'd ask, you never know, While I do tend to be a bit sceptical about a lot of the "money making remedies" Some do appear to be Ok. Cod liver oil, for instance, does help my joints (in my case)

And a suppose the vast majority of medicines are derived from plants or natural sources.

Just clutching at straws really, don't really want to go back down the medication track but feel like I'm looking for something.

snowgoose
11-01-12, 13:49
slap me as well re being cynical :winks:
spent fortunes on remedies ,lotions ,potions .....like a witches cavern my kitchen

But what did help me and another family member was Vit B complex and Magnesium . A good make though . Also find the occasional Berroca tablet helpful to counteract that awful lethargy that comes with being so anxious all the time
hope you find something to help
snow :hugs:

Jamesk
11-01-12, 13:54
that awful lethargy that comes with being so anxious all the time

This always strikes me as one of the biggest issues - anxious so tired, so sit around brooding, so don't take exercise which I know makes me feel better, don't do things because I'm scared, more time to sit around anxious......

Talk about a vicious circle. :ohmy:

robinbrum
11-01-12, 14:00
Depends what you're taking them for. I think they make a lot of spurious claims about mood-enhancing products derived from plants. On the other hand vitamins and fish oils are obviously good for your physical well-being. I have taken fish oils (and should do permanently) but I never noticed any difference to my mood,as some people claim it does particularly with depression. 5 htp and l-phenylalanine never made any difference to me either. Some people say they do help but my guess is they are in the minority,they just tend to talk more about it.
Of course, cannabis is a very effective natural mood altering substance widely available in our towns and cities. Trouble is 1, its illegal and 2, can lead to long-term paranoia and even psychosis...probably best avoided:D

zombie
11-01-12, 14:08
Yeah I know that feeling..:)

Been out of work for quite a while with one thing and another. Managed to find a little part time job and the anxiety is starting to build...

As you say it burns you out, you start to feel tried, achy and lethargic. Thought I'll not give in and went to the gym.. within a couple of hours of getting back in, I was so tired I couldn't keep my eyes open so dozed off mid afternoon. Still I suppose it did allow me to get some sleep, a biggy for me when I get anxious is I just can't sleep at all, just still watching the clock tick by.

Determined to try and keep it in check, but I'm struggling with it again!! But I really want this job, I think it will do me a lot of good in the long term.

robinbrum
11-01-12, 14:09
snowgoose, good point about the b-vits and magnesium. I am taking them now and hope they will benefit my long-term health.

snowgoose
11-01-12, 14:17
snowgoose, good point about the b-vits and magnesium. I am taking them now and hope they will benefit my long-term health.

I truly do think they help ....but typical me stopped taking them [probably buried under hundreds of other herbal stuff in my cauldron ]
My son takes them and has found huge benefits re sleep etc. I cant quite remember but I think taking the magnesium in the evening is beneficial for that .
best google though .
hope you find they help ........off to unearth mine and practice what I preach :blush:

robinbrum
11-01-12, 21:27
Zombie - keep it up with the gym and the job mate. I have a gym membership that is completely wasted right now. I must get back there - starting tomorrow.

PanchoGoz
11-01-12, 21:49
Vitimin B helps me a lot. Helps my appetite too. Might pop down the chemist and grab some magnesiun now, might as well go the full hog!

Littlehelper123
11-01-12, 22:24
I have and love them , they're really good. They're the kind of thing though that they either work or they don't. Most people go off of them because they don't like the fact they don't work instantly - you need a build up of them in your body to notice a big difference.

zombie
13-01-12, 12:10
Well, I thought as I'd already bought some "Kalms" I'd give them a go. (even though I'm sceptical) This my 4th day and I have to say I do feel less on edge. Could be coincidence or maybe they do help a little. I'll carry on with them and see how I go.

Stormsky
13-01-12, 13:03
They did nothing for me, more a placebo, you believe they work, so they do for a while.

zombie
13-01-12, 17:51
They did nothing for me, more a placebo, you believe they work, so they do for a while.

I tend to agree, other than I expected them to do nothing. It was more a "Oh well, I'll take em now I've bought em"

I can't say in all honesty I'm convinced they're doing anything, other than I don't feel as on-edge as I have been doing. They're not doing any harm so I'll try em for a few more days..