PDA

View Full Version : Just starting on Citalopram...

miniholly
11-01-12, 17:30
Hi,
So I've been feeling very very depressed and anxious lately so my doctor has prescribed me Citalopram.
I'm very nervous as I've had bad experiences with anti depressants before as I used to be on Sertraline but I had bad hallucinations on them and I used to be on Fluxotine also but they didn't really do much, so I am very nervous about taking these, I've already taken my first tablet but I don't really know what to expect any help please?

clc
11-01-12, 17:41
I'm on week 3 and I'm still here! They haven't started working for me but then I just upped my dose! Takes 2-4 weeks and most people say its more like 6. The side effects I have is loss of appetite and increase anxiety but again I'm not sure they are the meds might just be me!

Sleep wise I fall asleep really easy but tend to be waking up around 5 but I think we all know mornings are the worst!

You should be fine! :)

miniholly
11-01-12, 18:15
Thanks for replying :)
Its been about 2 hours since I took my first one and I've really got the yawns lol, literally its one yawn after the other feel so tired so I'm hoping a good night sleeps on the cards for me tonight! I really hope so not slept properly for about a month now.
Really hope I don't have the loss of appetite though as my appetite is already awful and I'm skinny enough as it is, don't want to look stick thin!

Sophie123
11-01-12, 20:18
I started mine today as well so I know how you are feeling. I have tried others and they didn't really work for me but I have been on Cipramil before and it really helped me once I had got used to it.:D

miniholly
11-01-12, 21:32
I've only ever been on two others as I was under 18 at the time so they were limited to what they could prescribe me (according to my psychatrist at the time) but I'm 18 now so I can try different ones, really hope these work out!

NoPoet
11-01-12, 23:27
Cit is best taken in the day if it interferes with your sleep. If it is making you yawn your head off all day and it doesn't interfere with your sleep (which generally stops happening in the first couple of weeks) then try the evening.

fell_on_black_days
12-01-12, 00:39
I've just started on it too. have had a few side effects, dizzy, chronic yawning, odd times when I get hungry and then not.

miniholly
12-01-12, 23:39
On day 2 and haven't stopped yawning all day! Had all the teachers at my college yawning as well lol. not good when a teachers trying to explain an exam to you, felt a bit dopey as well today, also had a really good nights sleep last night too which is a first. And also my appetites actually come back which I'm very happy about :D

fell_on_black_days
15-01-12, 01:32
the yawning thing is odd, feels like my head could split I'm doing it so much. my legs twitch too and this morning I was zonked out though didn't feel tired. most odd!

miniholly
16-01-12, 00:25
Just another update, feeling a bit odd today and yesterday, almost a bit panicky and noticed the odd visual disturbance, feel very very very tired (even after 11 hours of sleep!) and today have a ringing in my ear! read the leaflet that came with them and they're all side effects argh :mad: how long will it take for these to pass?

fell_on_black_days
16-01-12, 00:50
I slept for a long time today and yesterday too. perhaps it takes a couple of weeks for it to pass. this is my first week taking them.

jaspergrumfuttock
16-01-12, 00:59
Hi miniholly

I took cital'm for quite a long time and I found they took several weeks to build up before they started to take effect. They didn't stop the attacks but took the edge off making it a little easier to see the attack through. However if the side effects remain perhaps you should re visit your doctor.
All the best