PDA

View Full Version : What therapy to use?

brenda
11-06-06, 13:33
I have really bad anxiety about anything medical
I have to go to hospital for tests and treatment and am already feeling so bad about it.

I wonder what therapies you have tried that work

Thanks

Daisybun
11-06-06, 14:01
Hi Brenda, when i went in for tests last week I did some deep relaxation, breathing, also rescue remedy. You could try taking a relaxation CD on a personal hi-fi or i-pod to listen to while you wait or if they allow it while you're having treatment.
Hope it all goes well

Take care
Daisybun

'This too will pass'

brenda
11-06-06, 18:25
The thing is I am terrified of having hypnosis so that would be no good for me. it would be another anxiety to get over.

I dont know if i will make it to the hospital that is the problem.
I get bad panic for days beforehand. this weekend has been terrible.
each time I go to the hospital the symptoms seem to be worse as the experience is not very nice when I am there.
I panic about what treament they might give me and not being able to get out if I need to.
So much so that I am thinking of cancelling or postponing the appointment.

If they do find something wrong I dont know how I would be able to have the treament anyway

I need a way to get over this as it is ruining my life.

I have agoraphobia so going out is a problem but I am working on that and managed a 10 minute journey recently.

THanks
Brenda

clickaway
11-06-06, 18:54
Hi Brenda,

Have you been referred to the Mental Health Team by your GP?

Then you get assessed, they will come up with something, possibly CBT. It may be an idea to see what the waiting klist might be.

If it is lengthy, then another possible avenue is some kind of therapy on the phone - No Panic offer CBT in a phone group, but also do one to one sessions.

No Panic is a charity - you'll have to join them and pay for the course, but is not too expensive.

Ray
http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

brenda
11-06-06, 19:19
Thanks Ray I think I will do that.
I was looking at some books on amazon but having help to do it would be better
its not a problem paying for it if it will help me

brenda

brenda
11-06-06, 19:25
Forgot to ask is the no panic to do with this forum
Ta

nomorepanic
11-06-06, 19:44
Brenda

No Panic is a registered charity

Look at this post for more info ....

No Panic Telephone Recovery Programme (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8317)

Nicola

Piglet
11-06-06, 22:41
Brenda I can highly recommend the course with Nopanic - it has helped me quite a bit with my agoraphobia recently.

I have still have a long way to go but chatting to the others each week is really helping.

Bear in mind hun that lots and lots of people don't like being in the hosp/docs/dentist for their appointments - could you go with someone (I always do) and then try and chat to keep your mind off it.

Oh and I always take a bottle of water to drink and a banana.

Piglet x

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

alexis
11-06-06, 22:56
Hi, at our hospital, they will let you wait in your car and ring when its your turn if you have a problem, I know it doesnt stop the anxiety, but cutting down the waiting in a crowded room did wonders for me when I was at my worst,
I highly reccommend CMHT, and CBT
sorry reply not a lot of good, trying to helpxxx

brenda
12-06-06, 10:09
HI Alexis
what is CMHT?
I know what CBT is
I am going to join no panic this morning and hopefully get on one of their telephone courses
Thanks
Brenda

nomorepanic
12-06-06, 12:31
It is Community Mental Health Team

Good news about No Panic course.

Nicola

brenda
12-06-06, 18:05
Hi
I think my anxiety would be that I wouldnt be in control if I were hypnotised.
It seems like giving somebody else control of what is happening to you.
Having seen hypnotists on TV making people do things it worries me too much

Hope this helps you see what people worry about a bit
Brenda

nomorepanic
12-06-06, 19:00
Brenda

That is stage hypnosis - what we are more referring to is Hypnotherapy where you are in complete control and know everything that is going on - it is just deep relaxation.

You will remember it all and are always in control.

Hope that reassures you.

Nicola