PDA

View Full Version : Brain Zaps whilst on Citalopram?

Ghosty
12-01-12, 12:51
Hi all

Can anyone relate to this:
Been on Citalopram 3 months and have just started experiencing what some call Brain Zaps (that jolt which wakes you when you're nodding off/asleep).
Had at least 2 last night (along with other twitches like abdomen, etc) which woke me. I don't get the brain zaps when I'm awake (do get little twitches over body though).
As I said thus has only just started (about 3-4 days ago).

Has/does anybody get similar WHILST TAKING Citalopram and not tapering off it?
Please, it's really making me panic and anxious...:weep:

Phil

---------- Post added at 12:51 ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 ----------

Anyone?:)

How about the same due to anxiety? Anyone?

Catya
12-01-12, 13:11
Yes, I got them when starting up on medication and also still get them after two and a half months.

---------- Post added at 13:11 ---------- Previous post was at 13:08 ----------

I've always put it down to the medication altering the structure and messages in the brain.

Ghosty
12-01-12, 13:38
Hey Catya

Hows you?

Many thanks for the response, much appreciated.
Never got them when first taking the Cit (unless the diazepam I was taking alongside it to start was masking them?).

You know how it is when something 'new' pops up, I've been worrying myself sick thinking I've now developed MS or ALS (motor neuron disease). I put having a stiff/sore neck, recent brain zaps and twitches together and come up with the above diseases.

Am off to Docs later today to have a chat and see what he thinks.
Hope you're doing good!

Thanks again
Phil

klr
12-01-12, 20:42
I'm on Mirtazapine and I get these,in the morning.

Jmac
12-01-12, 23:32
I'm on cipralex and had those for about a week or so around the 3 month mark. Pretty much gone now - just shy of 5 months.

I think it is just the body getting used to whatever the medication is sorting out.

Ghosty
13-01-12, 12:05
Cheers folks for the replies, much appreciated.

Went back to docs and upped cit to 40mg from 20mg, and have been given another dose of diazepam to take alongside for about a week or so.

Cheers
Phil

screwpanic
14-01-12, 17:55
i have had these on/off for years whilst on no meds, i used to think of them as adrenaline rushes as i was falling asleep. i'm on day 10 of citalopram 20mg now and have had these the last 2 nights, last night they seemed to last for hours then i woke up during the night almost as tho they were still happening in my sleep, have kinda gotten used to them and try not to freak out over them anymore, last night i must have nodded back to sleep as when i next woke it was morning. great thread on these here - http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Anxiety/Adrenaline-rush-when-trying-to-fall-asleep/show/415706

Ghosty
28-01-12, 09:45
Hey all

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!
Interesting thread Screwpanic!

Cheers

oneofus
28-01-12, 11:23
Always look on the bright side of life. These involuntary spasms are a sign the medication is working. I'd be more worried if the medication produced no physical effects? Mind you I would prefer if they'd find a formulation lacking in Bromide!

One of us

Charnwood Fox
29-01-12, 14:16
I would prefer if they'd find a formulation lacking in Bromide!I have no problem with that part of the 'exercise', but there's a decided desensitisation, meaning there's sometimes no 'conclusion', if you see what I mean. Frustrating......for me, anyway.

Ghosty
30-01-12, 09:39
Bromide: yeah, take about a drawn out process with - more often than not - no 'conclusion' as you so eloquently put it :)

Ghosty

---------- Post added at 09:39 ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 ----------

What are brain zaps? I thought they were called Hypnic jerks.
Anyone explain? I genuinely don't know what a brain zap is.

Yeah, that's basically what they are; they're called a few things.
Really annoying though!

Peace

Ghosty