PDA

View Full Version : Swallowing/Aerophagia

beth0277
12-01-12, 15:20
Recently I have been obsessed with my swallowing. It is to the point now that I consciously swallow several times a minute. Most of the time, right after I do, I feel a little "tickle" of air come up my throat, almost like a burp, but maybe more like a mini burp. I wonder if I am swallowing too much air and that is what is causing this? I know there is a condition called aerophagia, which is when you swallow too much air, but I don't really burp, so I don't know if that is what this is? It didn't start until I got the lump in my throat sensation and then started thinking about throat cancer and things like that.

eva82
12-01-12, 16:56
Wow I get this same exact thing too! Along with the mini burps, lump in throat and excessive swallowing. Sometimes I even start clearning my throat a lot too which I'm sure drives everyone around me crazy. I agree that when we are anxious we tend to swallow in more air which really makes these sensations come to the forefront. What helps me is to try and get my breathing back to a normal rhythm again.. Even just a 15 minute walk or meditation helps me. I hope you feel better soon... And try not to worry too much about this because it's very common with us anxiety suffers. Xx

beth0277
12-01-12, 17:52
Thanks luv2teach! I know I have read that many people get the lump in throat sensation, but I didn't know if the "air bubbles" coming up after swallowing was normal.