PDA

View Full Version : Hello to All!

Cadchr
11-06-06, 15:48
Okay, so here is my story -

I'm a single mother of two teenage boys. For all of my 34 years of life I have been a "type A" personality. Very career oriented, focused, driven and would even say I was a "work-a-holic". It sounds crazy but after the 9/11 events I began to feel depressed all of the time. Although I don't live in the Northeast USA, I once lived there and felt a connection and was literally obsessed with the media coverage. After a year of this obsession, and not sleeping well (due to nightmares), my doctor put me on a low dose of prozac. Everything was fine. Until about a year ago.

A year ago, I walked out on my high paying job (where I worked 80 hrs a week) and began, immediately, having anxiety. I was worried about how I was going to support my kids, I felt useless as a human being and just didn't want to live anymore because I was disappointed in myself for not being able to handle the stress of my job anymore.

Following my departure from the job I so loved (but also hated because of the stress level), my ex-employer hit me with legal issues and wouldn't leave me alone. Thus, I began having anxiety attacks.

My doctor then prescribed a low dose of xanax to take once a day, in the evening and then I take another when I actually have an attack.

The bottom line for me is that I find the xanax makes me not care about stuff. Even writing this email is frustrating me because I don't care and find I am even irritated that I'm making myself do it. Because I now feel like this, I want to come off of the xanax but am afraid to ask my doctor to weane me from it for fear the anxiety and paranoia will come back.

Does anyone notice they feel irritated when they take xanax? Any suggestions for weaning?

afraid_of_everything
11-06-06, 18:44
I don't have much to say but I noticed that you didn't have any replies and I, for one, would be upset if nobody replied to me - so welcome.
Lorna

chucklehound
11-06-06, 19:03
Welcome to the forum

nomorepanic
11-06-06, 19:05
Hi there and welcome aboard.

Lovely to see you here.

I am afraid I don't know much about Xanax but use the searach facility and you will find the previous posts.

Hope we can be of some help to you on here.

Nicola

giddy
11-06-06, 20:03
Welcome to the forum
Love Helen

jackie
11-06-06, 20:59
welcome helen

i really dont know much about meds but i hope we can help you even if they dont

jackie

EmmaJane
11-06-06, 22:02
Hi welcome to the forum.

I dont know anything about Xanax either. Is it worth talking to your Dr about maybe changing your meds, or even trying an alternative therapy?

Good luck

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.

hayles
12-06-06, 09:03
A very big welcome to you xxx

Hay x

trac67
12-06-06, 09:14
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care
Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

panicdiva
12-06-06, 09:15
HI, I don't know anything about the meds that you are on. However, I think it would be worthwhile talking to your doc about changing your meds. I take it that the prozac was no longer working for you? For what it's worth I think that maybe the reason you are irritated with yourself might not be the meds but more a symptom of the anxiety. The reason I say this is because I often get very irritated with myself & others when I am feeling really anxious and I am not on meds. Just a thought. YOu really will get alot of good support & advice from this forum so you have done the right thing by joining.