PDA

View Full Version : Acid Reflux concerns...so worried!

beth0277
12-01-12, 18:14
I'll start out by saying that I have never felt heartburn in my life. I went for an Upper GI about 18 months ago for something that ended up being nothing, and a "small amount" of reflux was found. I freaked out after reading about silent reflux and barrett's esophagus and things like that, so after a year of prodding, my PCP referred me to a GI who did an endoscopy. She found that I had esophagitis (errosive esophagus) caused by acid reflux. Shocked the heck out of me. So, I was put on medicine to heal it, and also control the acid reflux (still no symptoms whatsoever of having reflux). She wanted me to take the meds for 3 months and then get a Barium Swallow test to make sure my esophagus was healed, then go off the meds and give it a few months and then we will do endoscopy to check to see if there is any "new" damage. If so, we will know that I need to stay on meds long term. So, I had my Barium Swallow test this past Tuesday and it came back normal. The nurse did say that there was a very minimal amount of reflux but everything was normal. Now I am freaking because at the time of the test, I was still taking my acid reflux medicine...Shouldn't that stop me from having reflux? I am so scared of esophageal cancer and worried that the medicine won't work for me in the future. I have no idea if it is normal to have a minimal amount of reflux and I don't want to go down the google road.

Does anyone have any input on this?

---------- Post added at 13:14 ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 ----------

I should add that when I first had the Upper GI that showed the reflux, I had given birth 3 months prior. I had also just recently started taking SSRI's, which I understand can give some people reflux by relaxing their esophageal sphincters (sp?). I also had excess weight on me from the pregnancy, which hasn't really went away. :blush: I most recently just started taking Wellbutrin, 1 week before my Barium Swallow test. I am wondering if it could be these medications causing me to have the reflux. I just hate it because I don't feel anything...so how am I supposed to know if I have it!!?!

Greenman50
12-01-12, 18:37
"The nurse did say that there was a very minimal amount of reflux but everything was normal "

Loads of people suffer with reflux , you have had the ok . I think because you have read to much about the condition and the worse case senerios , some of the words the dr / nurse said you have picked up on and are now worrying about . I do the same .
Perhaps you could get a check up every 6 months ? to see how things are .