PDA

View Full Version : My story with health anxiety

Harribo
13-01-12, 01:04
Hey my names Harry I'm new to these forums but already reading posts from other members I can relate to the majority of the members so I just thought I would share my story. Apologise in advance if it seems like I am dragging on but I suppose since I have never shared my thoughts with anyone I have a lot to get off my chest so sorry. Any advice or feedback would be amazing. Thanks :).

So yeah as I said before my name is Harry I am 20 years of age and my health anxiety started about a year ago. I suppose I am slightly different from other members as my anxiety is 100 percent self inflicted and I only have myself to blame.

I started taking drugs when I was 16, prior to that I was very anti drugs. I fell into the wrong crowd and started smoking fags, then it went on to weed/skunk and finally cocaine. I abused my body every weekend. I had the money to do so and I thought I was enjoying myself. When I look back on it now I was very unhappy. So yeah my typical week would be work hard at work monday to friday and come the weekend I knew what was going to happen. It started off as sniffing half a gram of cocaine on a typical night out and towards the end of my drug taking career it was around 5 grams which is about 200 pounds worth plus my drinking money. Up until I was 20 I had no problems with anxiety but I realise now the ammount of crap I was shoving up my nose it was bound to have some major effects.

My first panic attack came on a friday, I was on my way home from work thinking yeah another great night out tonight, girls, friends, drink etc when all of a sudden my body just lunged me forward. I had no clue what was happening to me. When I got home I rushed to the doctors screaming I needed help. My symptoms were. Dizzyness, basically my hold body felt numb and I felt as though I was going to faint and pass out. I thought I was going to die to put it bluntly. I told the receptionist to call me an ambulance but they told me to wait in this room and wait for the doctor. Why would I wait for the doctor? I'm having a heart attack! I staggered back home, I must of looked off my head and told my sister to call me an ambulance, mum and sister were in bits. Ambulance came and hooked me up to the machines etc. Your heart is fine Harry.....I feel normal again!!!! I went to to the hospital anyways and had bloods taken etc.

That was my first panic attack and by far the scariest! Anyways I carried on doing what I was doing going out with my friends doing stupid things, more panic attacks, more ambulances called more nhs money wasted. Obviously each attack varied in intensity but when your in hospital and there doing all these checks and saying there is nothing wrong. You blame yourself and question your own sanity...

I started to realise how unhappy my life was and from 16 to 20 my life was filled with bad choices and decisions. I cannot put a number on it but I have estimated that I have wasted over 15,000 pound on drugs and drink. I mean at 20 I could of had a mortgage... I became depressed and realised all these years when I thought I was happy I was actually not. I didn't have a girlfriend, I knew my friends were not actually friends.

I decided to try to get out of my vicious circle and try to find someone to share my life with and just be happy as I knew that is what my life was missing. I decided to go online dating! Aha I know sad right, but after a few awful encounters I was speaking to this really nice girl. So we arranged to meet where she was working which was at the pub she was working at. I was still doing drugs at this point so I took some with me to get me out of my shell. I walked into the pub and my jaw dropped. I was in love. To cut a lonnnng story short that was my last night of doing drugs. I quit cold turkey. That was 7 months ago now. And now we have our own flat 2 kittens and she has a shiny ring on her finger. But.....

There is always a but ha? I rarely get panic attacks now but I am always anxious! I get maybe 3-4 attacks a month compared to the 10 plus when I was on drugs, yes that is progress, but I can't go on like this anymore. I am finally happy and I feel that I should be able to move on from my past but I can't. I always feel on edge I get headaches, chest pain and now suffer from acid reflux. Doctors say the ammount of stuff I was taking has obviously done damage but it will take up to two years for that damage to be repared. I have not counted but I have had atleast 20 ecgs now, blood tests, blood pressure, light shined in my eye and more recently a ct scan! All normal but I still feel anxious I have had everything done to me to prove that I am not dieing or have cancer or tumours or heart attacks. But you tell yourself they have missed something and google your new symptom. I have to get out of that habbit google damn you!

I apologise for the long story, I don't want to go on antideppresants. Especially with my drug history. But I am strong minded otherwise I wouldn't of been able to give all that up. I have seen someone about it before but I was still taking drugs at the time so couldn't give it a real shot. Maybe I should go down that route again.

To finish off here is a list of symptoms I have experienced with my anxiety/panic attacks. All advice would be greatly appreciated!

Heart palpatations
Tension Headaches/Normal Headaches
Back pain/chest pain
Muscle spasms
Twitches
Muscle pain
Electric shocks in body
Tingling in chest
Dizzyness
Light headed
Feel like I am in my own world/bubble
Losing my mind
Slightest thing that touches my chest feels like pressure is on it.
Acid reflux also known as gerd.

I will add more once I think of them ha. Thank you for reading and I welcome all feedback like I said. :) x

Thanks.
Harry.

rubymolloy
13-01-12, 01:56
hiya harry..its nice you have a nice girlfriend and cats!
Im much older, 49 and started to get panic attacks after self abuse with alcohol. It has to be the most frightening experience in the world to be in panic.
I rarely get them now but do suffer odd episodes of gripping fear and whatnot...but they do eventually go away.
The body has an amazing power of healing itself, it just takes longer than us mortals want it to!
The chest pains and twitching I'd reckon are tension related...its amazing the amount of weird feelings i personally get and still after years of it i can be surprised and have to remember that its the anxiety condition playing up!
Well done getting straightened out, it is the first block to getting well to change our lifestyles. I gave up the alcohol and its been paramount in my stabilising.
Im sure you will find lots of support on here, people seem very kind and understanding as I guess they have been to the same places too.
Best wishes and kind regards
ruby
x

Acidomoduso
13-01-12, 02:17
Hi Harry. Good to see you are getting back on track. Keep up the good work, dude.

My own panic attacks started from an extremely strong skunk when i was mid 20's. I did a few recreational drugs in my early 20's but this one gave me a proper panic attack, exactly as you describe. Not long after that i quit drugs. It took me a few years to even take a paracetamol. I'm 40 now and the only downside is that it's left me with this annoying health anxiety. I know it's daft but it still happens - and that's AFTER going to CBT and successfully conquering it!

Anyway, from what you are saying it sounds like you have the strength and the motivation to overcome this. Like the doc said, it may take a couple of years but you'll always have the people of this forum to help you when you are low!

Good luck buddy!

Oh, and by the way... if that's your girlfriend on your avatar then WOAH! what an incentive dude!

Harribo
13-01-12, 02:40
hiya harry..its nice you have a nice girlfriend and cats!
Im much older, 49 and started to get panic attacks after self abuse with alcohol. It has to be the most frightening experience in the world to be in panic.
I rarely get them now but do suffer odd episodes of gripping fear and whatnot...but they do eventually go away.
The body has an amazing power of healing itself, it just takes longer than us mortals want it to!
The chest pains and twitching I'd reckon are tension related...its amazing the amount of weird feelings i personally get and still after years of it i can be surprised and have to remember that its the anxiety condition playing up!
Well done getting straightened out, it is the first block to getting well to change our lifestyles. I gave up the alcohol and its been paramount in my stabilising.
Im sure you will find lots of support on here, people seem very kind and understanding as I guess they have been to the same places too.
Best wishes and kind regards
ruby
x

Aw thank you very much for your reply, my kittens are amazing aha! Its nice to hear about others who also abused there bodies and come out the other side because even though its self inflicted it takes a lot of willpower, courage and motivation to come out the otherside, thank you ruby x

---------- Post added at 02:40 ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 ----------

Hi Harry. Good to see you are getting back on track. Keep up the good work, dude.

My own panic attacks started from an extremely strong skunk when i was mid 20's. I did a few recreational drugs in my early 20's but this one gave me a proper panic attack, exactly as you describe. Not long after that i quit drugs. It took me a few years to even take a paracetamol. I'm 40 now and the only downside is that it's left me with this annoying health anxiety. I know it's daft but it still happens - and that's AFTER going to CBT and successfully conquering it!

Anyway, from what you are saying it sounds like you have the strength and the motivation to overcome this. Like the doc said, it may take a couple of years but you'll always have the people of this forum to halp you when you are low!

Good luck buddy!

Oh, and by the way... if that's your girlfriend on your avatar then WOAH! what an incentive dude!

Cheers for the reply that is my fiance in the avatar.For me it wasn't a hard choice giving up, found a person who makes me extremely happy so it was either be miserable and live a short life or be very happy and be with someone who I adore. She's an amazing incentive. Sometimes I have rubbish days and think sod it I'll go get some drugs but then I look at hannah and my thoughts change, because at 20 I have wise head on my shoulders now. And I want to settle down with her. I hate taking paracetamol or any other tablets as I look on the label and read all the side effects and it scares me! Scares someone who took illegal drugs ha.. Bit silly really I just appreciate life much more these days. It was hard for me to write all that but I'm so glad now that I can talk to people who have been through similar things :)

Acidomoduso
13-01-12, 02:57
Aw thank you very much for your reply, my kittens are amazing aha! Its nice to hear about others who also abused there bodies and come out the other side because even though its self inflicted it takes a lot of willpower, courage and motivation to come out the otherside, thank you ruby x

---------- Post added at 02:40 ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 ----------

Cheers for the reply that is my fiance in the avatar.For me it wasn't a hard choice giving up, found a person who makes me extremely happy so it was either be miserable and live a short life or be very happy and be with someone who I adore. She's an amazing incentive. Sometimes I have rubbish days and think sod it I'll go get some drugs but then I look at hannah and my thoughts change, because at 20 I have wise head on my shoulders now. And I want to settle down with her. I hate taking paracetamol or any other tablets as I look on the label and read all the side effects and it scares me! Scares someone who took illegal drugs ha.. Bit silly really I just appreciate life much more these days. It was hard for me to write all that but I'm so glad now that I can talk to people who have been through similar things :)

I was exactly the same so i know where you are at. I was around people who would pin up daily (never touched a needle meself - strictly an amphetemine, weed and acid guy) and not long after i left Cornwall, the main dealer there died of an overdose. So, yeah, even paracetemol is scary when you've taken, experienced and seen what you have. I'll just say that i haven't touched an illegal drug in over 15 years and still struggle with some of the heavier, prescribed drugs.

I really, REALLY hope you can see it through and i hope you and your girl keep it strong. And you never know... you might be asking me to photograph your wedding one day (i'll make sure i'm free for you - i am one of those proper photographers so that's a real offer there)!

Harribo
13-01-12, 03:07
O wow, thank you so much, I will hold you to that! Proberly won't be for a couple of years but wow that is very kind of you. I really appreciate that :). Is there anywhere I can see your work? I love photography rubbish at it myself but love looking at it.

ewood79
13-01-12, 20:46
G'day Harry

Well done on kicking the drugs.... Keep up the good work

I have a similar story to urs but with weed which I haven't smoked for over 10 years, I'm 33 today actually....

Don't be afraid about prescribed medication or paracetamol etc that's just your anxiety talking.

I too have had at least 10 Ecgs, blood tests, chest X-ray, stress test etc and all clear.....

I have trouble accepting it all sometimes but I just have to go with the flow.

Keepin touch buddy

Cheers jarrod