PDA

View Full Version : Cialopram stopped working all of a sudden HELP!

Fordrsrickc
13-01-12, 17:36
I've been on Citalopram for about 5 months starting at 20mg going up to 30mg and after getting anxious on several occasions and feeling shortness of breath again about 4 months in my doctor increased my dose further to 40mg and i don't feel any change whatsoever on the increase about 3 weeks in. In fact I feel like I did when my anxiety and depression all started. Every symptom I had at the beginning have started to creep back in. With shortness of breath all the time, headaches, tiredness, anxiousness, shakes, mood swings, hot flushes, negativity, sweating, low mood, irritable, and I have not had any of my symptoms for months and I feel like my body has become immune to the meds and now fighting the effects or something stopping them working. I am on the waiting list for CBT and I am wondering if I now need to change meds or drop back down to 30mg any help from others who have had a similar experience would be appreciated. Thanks:)

pinkdove
13-01-12, 17:42
Hi Yes i have done the same as you last year, went as high as 60mg, which was way too high.

I really did'nt feel any higher than 40mg worked any better, just had increased anxiety and tiredness,

You sound to me as if 30mg worked for you, because we can all habe the odd blip day, however your increased dose will usually take about 4 weeks to settle, so you could give it another week or so, see how it goes, i now take 25mg, and felt any higher than 40 just made me feel worse.

wishing you all the best and hope this helps xx

hadenough
14-01-12, 21:12
Hi,

I started on this med about 4 months ago and was prescribed 40mg tabs. They were brilliant to start with and I felt so much better.

However a few weeks ago they seemed to stop working for me as well. I have been back to the GP and she has said to carry on for a little while to see if things settle and if not maybe I will have to change to a different AD.

By the way Ive had all the symptoms you mention plus a few more.

I hope that things settle for you soon.

theharvestmouse
14-01-12, 21:14
I hope this doesn't happen to me.:unsure:

ewood79
14-01-12, 21:25
Hello, I have been on Cit for about 5 years on various doses ranging from 40mg to 80mg..... I'm currently on 70mg

The drug us been a big help to me as it is a bit of a leveller..... But remember it won't stop the panic symptoms all together, we still have to work on it with our CBT etc and outside counseling help etc....

Try and stick on the 40mg and see how that goes... Most times it's just our anxiety talking saying there not working anymore etc or we want them to work straight away and make it all dissapear over night! How nice that would be....

Keep your chin up!

Greenman50
14-01-12, 21:55
I,m no expert and i,ve been on 20 mg for 12 months .
I,ve not had a great few weeks lately to be honest :mad: , i,m getting some of my old symtoms back aswell . I think these tabs give us some breathing space but we all have to try and help ourselves with cbt , distraction techniques etc , but its not easy !