PDA

View Full Version : does anyone else get really anxiouse over silly things?

tricia56
13-01-12, 17:46
hi this may sound a silly thing to ask but i get really anxuoisewhen i have to cook dinner for my family even tho its a normal thing to do and i dont know why i get so anxiouse while cooking it even dishing it up im so anxouise and its starting to bother me as suerly something like that woundnt make you anxouise does any one else get like it and wat things make you anxiouse ?

Stormsky
13-01-12, 17:55
what part of it are you scared of?? i used to get really scared if i had to handle knifes etc.. which is perfectly normal with anxiety... i wasnt scared of actual cooking tho.. the more attention you give to it though, the more it will happen...

tricia56
13-01-12, 18:07
hi there is nothing really im scared of about it which seems daft si i havent got a clue why i get so anxouise maybe i just get stressed and not anxouise and im confussing myself between the two if that makes sence

Stormsky
13-01-12, 18:13
perhaps the heat of cooking is starting the symptons... stress sounds more like it then..

Erin27
14-01-12, 03:10
It does sound like stress and nerves. I am similar in that I'll get really anxious and get a horrible feeling over certain things and sometimes it can come from nowhere when I think I'm fine.... and its usually not anything major... For example - a date or when I've started seeing someone and wonder how its all going to go... singing in public (which I enjoy and there's nothing to be scared about).... sometimes social anxiety and wonder how I'm coming across to people... Sometimes the smaller things are often what become more prominent in our heads and we focus all our mental energy on these things... sometimes as a distraction from other things or sometimes I think it's part of who we are.

But the symptoms are manageable and there are techniques for working through them. I'm sure your meal will be great - I hope you have a nice time. Also, I find the following book really useful. Its called "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff; and its all small stuff" - Chances are you'll have heard of it but thought I'd mention it anyway.

All the best,

Erin

hanshan
14-01-12, 07:54
Hi Tricia,

It sounds like generalised anxiety disorder to me.

I think of it as anxiety looking for something to be anxious about. That is, you're anxious first, and pretty soon you find something to be anxious about. If you conquer your fears on that front, they will just pop up somewhere else.

The solution for me was two medications - mirtazapine and pregabalin - which have stopped that anxiety process, and allowed to get me back to normal. I still worry and get stressed from time to time, but it's just like ordinary people.

I've written about mirtazapine and pregabalin in other posts. They don't work for everyone, but if you haven't tried them, they may be worth a try.

Hanshan

Loubeelou
14-01-12, 19:03
It's definitely not a silly thing to ask! Anxiety makes us worry over the silliest most tiny things you can think of which sounds totally bizarre to any non sufferers.
I get muscle tension in my neck & shoulders when cooking but I think that is more the fact I am stressing to make sure it all cooks on time.
My anxieties range from going to appointments to eating a meal with other people! It's all ridiculous stuff but things that are completely out of our control!

I also think association has a lot to do with it. If you've felt anxious over something once, you tend to feel anxious the next time and so a vicious circle begins x