PDA

View Full Version : Betablockers banyone help who takes them? NEED HELP ASAP :-(

AngelHeart
13-01-12, 19:20
If you have a betablocker does it get rid of the anxiety feeling straight away? Not having a panic attack but I have anxiety in chest, feel like my throat is closing and pins and needles on my tounge

Thanks u xxx

JohnBliss
13-01-12, 19:54
Hi There
Beta Blockers won't stop anxiety but they should alleviate the Panic Attacks by blocking the adrenaline. They may also alleviate the Anxiety because you know you're less likely to have a Panic Attack hence you don't suffer so much from the "fear of the fear"
Best Wishes
John

AngelHeart
13-01-12, 20:06
Thank you very much, been precribed them but worried about taking them lol Dr said to take half (20mg) if I want but dont know if this will be as effective!

Swan
13-01-12, 20:17
Hi, that could be a reaction to the tablet, I have tried beta blockers, and can't take them because of the side effects I had.

JohnBliss
13-01-12, 20:29
Hello Again
I take 50mg a day-have done for years with no side effects-the one I take is Atenolol
All the Best
John

sickandtired
13-01-12, 20:52
beta blockers had no effect on me whatsoever....I needed AD's

CrazyC
13-01-12, 21:19
I have just been prescribed these today. I keep hearing mixed reviews i have them for anxiety but alot of people dont seem to think they will help. Im told to pop them just when i feel panic or worry - doctor seems to think they will help me.

AngelHeart
13-01-12, 21:42
I havent tried them yet either, dont know what to do :lac:

Sabre
13-01-12, 22:07
Hi all, i take a beta blocker called propranolol, they are the only meds that worked for me, i couldnt handle anxiety meds, i tried citalopram, setraline and fluxotine side effects got the better of me!
The beta blockers dont help reduce my anxiety and i know that, they just help me with the physical symptons of my anxiety, mainly my fast heart rate and palpitations and i feel they have helped me!
All the best
Rob

clc
14-01-12, 10:33
Propanalol helps me sleep. They have also reduced the panic attacks. I missed one day and the next morning had a huge panic attack. A people have said they don't help you mentally but help you physically.

kate89
14-01-12, 10:36
hello i was on propanolol for 2 years.they didnt help with all the anxiety symptoms but was a great hel for palps,banging heart and the shaky feeling

Loubeelou
14-01-12, 18:35
I have taken Atenolol 20mg for a few years now and too be honest I am not sure they do anything really! They definitely do nothing for the anxiety side of things and if I am going to have a panic attack, my heart will thud furiously anyway.
The main reason I stay on them though is they do keep my heart at a slightly lower rate which is good as I tend to get obsessed with listening to my heart which sets off an attack if it's too fast! :wacko:

Stormsky
14-01-12, 19:29
Sorry, Beta blockers didnt help me, made meel feel like a zombie...they dont cure panic, more like slow your heart rate, which i didnt like the thought of..