PDA

View Full Version : Is this really just a virus?

VioletWings
13-01-12, 19:44
Hi,

I've been feeling extremely lethargic the last week or so, and my chest hasn't felt 'right' -as if it's blocked or something - causing me to feel breathless.
I haven't been doing much as a result. I went to the docs last week and said my chest sounded fine, and he thought it was just some kind of virus.
Anyway, I have stayed the same and today feel even more weary than ever. I have been in bed a lot today, my neck is really stiff and hurts to turn my head right and left, and I have been getting random chest pains. My breathing feels like such a strain on my chest when I try and take a decent/deep breath.
Also my stomach feels like it's involved, with tightness, and sometimes I wake up with a deep nausea feeling. Does this sound like just a virus to you? I feel horrible, but not got cold symptoms or a temp.

Thanks

sebinkent
13-01-12, 20:52
Have you been stressed or worried about anything lately? It sounds like classic anxiety to me. With a virus affecting your chest and respiratory system, you would have a cough and probably other symptoms. Worrying about whether you might be ill just adds to the anxiety which will make the tight chest and pains worse. Anxiety does some weird things to your body!

VioletWings
13-01-12, 23:26
Thanks seb, right before I got ill I did get very upset and stressed about my pet budgie being ill (my boyfriend said I was way too worried over it) I have thought it could be anxiety.. and my symptoms even sound to me like anxiety when I hear myself say them.. but I feel like I can't sit up for long for feeling ill, I've been in and out of bed today =/ Maybe it's a combination of the two?!!

sebinkent
14-01-12, 00:24
If you worry long enough about something, that puts a lot of stress on the body and I had no idea until recently how profound that can be. It all proves that the mind and the body are really connected. I went through a period of intense worry and stress about my health and in the end, the worrying and negative thinking caused more damage than anything else.
If you still feel ill in the morning, it might be worth another visit to the doc but I do think that it is another case of anxiety and stress..

All the best.

PinkRoxy
14-01-12, 07:20
Maybe give it a few more days and still not better then go back to the doctor. Chances are it couldve been a virus which has turned into an infection or something like it.
But def go back to your doctor if it continues, and no need to be worried about it aye because I dont think its anything that worrying.

Ive had so many viruses that have turned into infections many times. Also if its winter then its common for the cold temp to make your chest feel sore too.

macc noodle
14-01-12, 08:31
See another GP in the practice and get a second opinion - it will put your mind at rest or, at least, give you a clear path to get over whatever you are suffering from.

I am sure it is nothing serious.

Get well soon.

VioletWings
14-01-12, 12:21
Thanks everyone. I'll see how I get on over the weekend!

Dazza
14-01-12, 12:34
I have many of the symptoms you mention... docs said today i have a throat infection / inflammation, even though i don't have cough / fever or anything... but i do feel rough as hell, with little energy or appetite. I think most of the symptoms are due to anxiety.

hope you feel better soon. :)