PDA

View Full Version : On Citalopram and just broken a rib need pain killers (but which ones?)

AnxiousPhil
13-01-12, 23:57
I cracked a rib in training today and am on citalopram. I need some pain relief and paracetamol is not having any effect at all. I know ibruprofen is a no.

Please can someone tell me what kind of pain killer I can use on a short term basis until it gets a little easier.

Thanks a lot
Phil.

---------- Post added at 23:57 ---------- Previous post was at 23:29 ----------

Any chance of reply? I've tried nhs direct who wont help and am in a lot of pain

nomorepanic
14-01-12, 00:00
Why won't they help?

I cracked a rib once and just took aspirin as far as I can remember cos I was scared then to take paracetamol

How do you know you cracked a rib as well?

annette1
14-01-12, 00:09
HI Phil

only thing you can take is paracetamol, asprin or codene. Don't take Ibuprofen or Votarol as they can cause other problems such as stomach bleeding.

suzy-sue
14-01-12, 00:23
You can take Ibrofen as long as you take it with food,Otherwise it can irritate the stomach lining this is rare tho .. If it gives you Heartburn or Acid Dont take anymore .Co-codamol is also worth trying ,but it may make you tired ,but it is effective for bad pain .T/c Sue x

nomorepanic
14-01-12, 00:28
ok conflicting advice here so I think you need to get medical advice to be honest

suzy-sue
14-01-12, 00:32
I was told this by two Gp.s as Im also taking Cit ...Try the co-codamol in my opinion its better ..Dont take too much of it ..Ice pack applied to the area will help too .You could also apply some Voltarol or Ibrofen gel ..Aspirin and Ibrofen /Voltarol are all Anti-inflammatory drugs ...Aspro -clear is better on the stomach than ordinary aspirin .as it is added to water and is fizzy .Less likely to irritate the stomach .than the Normal type ,,T/c Sue

Dragonsblonde
16-01-12, 14:25
I think it is best to ask your own doctor as their advice is based on your personal medical history.

I was allowed to take Ibuprofen for the first 18 months on CIT by both my GP and the Pharmacy, but under caution to only take every now and again. Now though am under investigation for gastro bleeding and have been banned by my hospital from taking anything other than paracetamol and Codeine.

amanda*43
16-01-12, 14:27
Hi, If you could get your self to a chemist/pharmacist, they would advise you. Hope you feel better soon.

avasnana
16-01-12, 15:43
HI,

I would just ask the Pharmacist, just tell them what you are taking already and they will be able to tell you what is safe to take. Better to be safe than sorry x

Hope you feel better soon

swanlinnet
16-01-12, 16:33
A cracked/broken rib is excruciating. I remember it well. Every time I coughed the pain jolted through my body big time. Very painful.

I should say the GP is the essential first stop. OTC medicine, on the one hand, may help but, beleive me, there are far more effective meds' on the market.

Alas; one notable side effect of certain pain meds' is euphoria. In other words, if you get a liking for the undeniable pleasureable effects some pain meds' produce then you could be skating on thin ice regarding addiction.

Being honest with oneself on this matter is crucial. For if you justify taking such medicine for pain when the reality is you are chasing the euphoria then it's a highway to addiction.

That said, a good GP will certainly know just what it is you need.

Good luck, Vince

NCP
17-01-12, 22:51
Pain killers are ok, its anti-inflamatory drugs which can cause a problem as mentioned.

Its the pain that is the real buggar with a cracked or bruised rib, so paracetamol should help or see if the doctors can give you something a bit stronger if its chronic.

You could try cooking this simple curry to reduce inflamation, there are lots of food sources which have the same effect without risking serious illness.

http://www.dalepinnock.com/main-dishes/anti-inflammatory-curry/

Here is the blurb on interactions between anti-inflamatory drugs and SSRI's.

http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/celexa-with-ibuprofen-oxycodone-679-335-1311-0.html

"Serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SRIs) may potentiate the risk of bleeding in patients treated with ulcerogenic agents and agents that affect hemostasis such as anticoagulants, platelet inhibitors, thrombin inhibitors, thrombolytic agents, or agents that commonly cause thrombocytopenia. The tricyclic antidepressant, clomipramine, is also a strong SRI and may interact similarly. Serotonin release by platelets plays an important role in hemostasis, thus SRIs may alter platelet function and induce bleeding. Published case reports have documented the occurrence of bleeding episodes in patients treated with psychotropic agents that interfere with serotonin reuptake. Bleeding events related to SRIs have ranged from ecchymosis, hematoma, epistaxis, and petechiae to life-threatening hemorrhages. Additional epidemiological studies have confirmed the association between use of these agents and the occurrence of upper gastrointestinal bleeding, and concurrent use of NSAIDs or aspirin was found to potentiate the risk. Preliminary data also suggest that there may be a pharmacodynamic interaction between SSRIs and oral anticoagulants that can cause an increased bleeding diathesis. Concomitant administration of paroxetine and warfarin, specifically, has been associated with an increased frequency of bleeding without apparent changes in the disposition of either drug or changes in the prothrombin time. Bleeding has also been reported with fluoxetine and warfarin, while citalopram and sertraline have been reported to prolong the prothrombin time of patients taking warfarin by about 5% to 8%."