PDA

View Full Version : Ruining peoples lives with my illness

FixMe
14-01-12, 17:58
How do i stop my anxiety affecting those around me in a negative way? I know it's difficult for them to understand it so I feel like I'm making people miserable, my boyfriend especially. He doesn't know how to help me and to be honest.....neither do I

FixMe?

Stormsky
14-01-12, 18:06
hi- we all have the same problems with partners not knowing how to help...you have to try and explain why you are they way you are, and its nothing personnal... its hard for them to understand, as it is for anyone whos never suffered anxiety... i recall when i was 23 my best friend killed herself due to manic depression, and i couldnt understand it at all... then 10yrs later i suffered depression myself and its suddenly clearer... have you seen your doc? and on any meds or counselling?

FixMe
14-01-12, 18:27
I'm on meds and waiting for counselling now. I've explained everything to him and he said he will try his best to support me, but I just don't want to feel like I'm pushing him away and I don't want to push him away due to my health. Is there any support for family and friends of people with anxiety and if yes do you know where i could find them?

Stormsky
14-01-12, 18:34
Im sure there must be support groups, depending on the area you live, you could check with your GP surgery, they may have details. Also read this,
http://www.anxietynomore.co.uk/advice_to_partners.html

FixMe
14-01-12, 18:37

FixMe
17-01-12, 12:54
Thanks Natalie, I just worry that I'm going to end up pushing people away. It's far too easy to blame yourself in these situations even though you know it's out of your own control. xxx