PDA

View Full Version : Panic Attacks

LilysMummy
14-01-12, 19:52
Hello, im Jess, im new to this site.. but my doctor suggested i join some online panic attack/anxiety forums, and im hoping this helps.. anyway ive been having panic attacks for around 5 years now, any little pain turns into a massive problem, if anybody has any advice on what they do when they have panic attacks ect wauld be good to chat, i went to a group for anxiety and panic attacks once sent there by my doctor but all the people in there made me feel anxious, so i never went again.. i have a beautiful little girl.. she helps me get through each day.. but once shes in bed, the anxiety starts all over again! wauld like to meet some new people in the same boat as me :)

nicola1980
14-01-12, 20:12
Hi and :welcome: I suffer anxiety and panic attacks, bloody horrible :mad: do you take any meds to help you? xx

LilysMummy
14-01-12, 20:15
No i dont take anything for it, ive been to the drs lots of time and they said medication is the last thing he wants to do, because i suffer health anxiety, do you suffer with this, yes its horrible wish it wauld just go away!! xx

nicola1980
14-01-12, 20:23
No fortunatly i don't suffer health anxiety, ive got what the doctor says a panic disorder but with the help of meds and councilling its slowly getting under control xx

LilysMummy
14-01-12, 20:27
Thats good :) what councilling are you doing, i wauld like to do some 1-to-1 theropy.. im going to speak with my doctor, because groups make me feel anxious! x

potato11
16-01-12, 17:16
Hello Lilysmummy :)

It is a huge help to know you are not alone and meet others in the same boat. But, just like your groups - remember that some people will make you feel better, others worse! depending on how helpful their advice is :P

I highly recommend an online CBT course I found here on NMP - the link and some reviews can be found here http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=91696

CBT has helped me so much, I am still working on some low-level anxiety but now I have the coping tools and rationalisation to cope with it and I get better and better all the time :) it is well and truly worth your time

the NICE guidelines for NHS (who compile all the research around conditions then decide which is best) say that CBT is the number one treatment for panic disorders as ultimately they are caused by faulty thinking.

Example - imagine you are upstairs late one night and hear a noise downstairs - you suddenly get a jolt of fear, thoughts begin "what was that?!" you start imagining meeting a crazed burglar....... until you find out it's the cat.

What I'm trying to highlight is how strongly your body reacts to thoughts - one minute you're paralyzed with fear, the next you're relieved - all because of a change in thoughts. CBT helps you see your thoughts for cats instead of burglars :)

I wish you all the best on your journey and feel free to PM me