PDA

View Full Version : When will the Panic subside?

Sophie123
15-01-12, 11:51
I am on day 5 of Citalapram and still getting really bad panic attacks like I have not had in years:weep: I am really starting to get anxious and feel like I am never going to be the same again and that Cit is having an adverse effect on me. I have had a few bits of normality which I did not have in the really early days but I am really struggling with the panic. I keep getting really hot rushes, my legs and feet feel like jelly and I feel really scared. Will this improve anytime soon and at what point do you think it would be best to up the dose to 20mg??

pinkdove
15-01-12, 12:04
Hi sophie, what you are experiencing are the side effects you can often get when starting citalopram

However they should subside in a couple of days, this is very normal, they can often make us feel worse, before we feel better.....hard i know.

I would stay on 10mg for about 2 weeks before you increase to 20mg, but ask your gp if you are concerned, what you are feeling is normal when starting cit, and things will get better but it is early days.

What do you do to distract yourself? try reading, watching a light film. try the games on this site they are quite addictive and a great distraction.

Keep up the good work you are getting there, although it may not seem that way right now, but when the cit kicks in, and the side effects stop (and they will) you will beginh to feel the benefits, wishing you all the best xx

Sophie123
15-01-12, 12:07
Thank you so much for your support Pinkdove. I am finding it really helpful. I must admit I do have some moments where I feel better then I did but then the panic sets in again. I will keep going on them as I am 5 days in now so hopefully they should start to settle down in a couple of days.

screwpanic
15-01-12, 12:24
hi sophie, im now on day 12 and having had a good day yesterday im also feeling ok so far today. i still have background anxiety but i'm begining to notice it less and less as the days go on. the hot flushes have now gone and last night i slept straight thru for 9hrs (had been waking up at 1.30 and 5.30 previous nights)! i still get occasions where i feel a bit odd (weak and depersonalised) but i hope this soon passes. stick with it the worst will soon pass.

nicola1980
15-01-12, 12:39
Hi, i was the exact same when i started them, my anxiety went through the roof and was having awful panic attacks, ii remember literally rocking and shaking on the sofa but it does pass honestly, unfortunatly the majority of SSRI meds will enhance our symptoms and make us feel 100 times worse before we get better but it DOES get better, don't be in any rush to up to 20mg, id give it 2 weeks on 10mg like pinkdove says cause i upped to 20mg after a week and i felt awful, the trick is take it easy don't rush it small steps at a time :hugs: xx

Elen
15-01-12, 12:58
Dont know if it will help or not Sophie but I started having terrible panic and anxiety attacks and I have never had them before.

I found convincing myself that it was just a side effect and that it would pass would work, coupled with breathing excercises.

Stick in there.

Elen

pooh
15-01-12, 18:03
I had horrendous side effects ( worse than what made me go to the doc lol) I was prescribed diazepam to counter this. Could be a short term option for you to get over the worst of it. I can say honestly from my heart, at least for me, it didn't last it did pass :) I'm on week 8 I think can't remember ( a bit of memory loss) lol round about that anyway it's one of the side effects that hasnt passed yet but I can live with that one LOL