PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram fear

Pen
12-06-06, 18:25
My general anxiety seems to have seeped into depression/health anxiety and as a result the psychiatrist that I am seeing said that I am not getting better quick enough and that I need to take anti-depressants for 6 months. I thought that I was doing ok, I know that I’m not right but I’m getting there, for example I went on holiday two weeks ago and I felt almost back to normal. The anxiety returned when I got back but I could cope with it. My problem is that I am absolutely terrified of taking medication. The whole nightmare began in February when I had a severe reaction to prescription medication following a gall bladder operation. Again I have started to get better about taking tablets and can now manage vitamins and painkillers ok. He suggested that I take citalopram 20mg but having read the side effects I really don’t think that I can take them. I am terrified of the anxiety feelings getting worse and the possibility of suicidal feelings for the first 1-2 weeks. I really don’t want to take medication but I want my life back. I’m so confused and the constant worry is making me worse. It’s like a vicious circle and I don’t know what to do. Does anyone have anything positive to say about citalopram? The only thing that I can think of is asking the doctor for diazepam to calm me down in the event of the anxiety getting worse but I don’t know if you can do that.

Sally S
12-06-06, 20:42
Dear Pen,
I can really really empathise with your situation.
My nightmare started about a month ago, when I started to have panic attacks which developed into terrible constant anxiety. Because of the anxiety I was getting really depressed and feeling that I couldn't go on. It was horrific, and I was terrified. I went to my GP who saw what a state I was in and after a couple of visits suggested I take Citalopram and Lorazepam for when I had the attacks.
Like you, I really didn't want to take the medication, fearing the side effects and not wanting to be dependent. I started taking it 17 days ago. I am now totally back to normal, I'm at work, out all weekend with my husband and friends, with hardly any anxiety. It's great. There were side effects, I felt a bit sick, very anxious and couldnt sleep but I took Lorazepam and sleeeping tablets to get me through. I also got some great reassurance from people on this site; they are very supportive.
I am looking at the Citalopram as a means of getting my life back to normal so that I can do everything to figure out why it was happening and how to stop it from happening again. I'm just about to start CBT, and I'm getting into Reiki and yoga, and have just got a personal trainer.
Well, that's my positive story, the first week or so won't be easy so take Lorazepam to get through it. The decision is ultimately yours of course, and I hope you have lots of people supporting you; don't forget we are all here for you!
I hope you get well, whatever you decide to do, try to think about what makes you happy, hobbies etc and do it!
Lots of love
Sally xxx

trac67
13-06-06, 08:49
Hi Pen,

I have been on citalopram twice now, am currently still on them, and they help me a great deal. It did increase my anxiety for the first few weeks, but not to the extent that I couldn't deal with it.
The citalopram keeps my anxiety under control and helps me to be able to do all the normal every day things, without feeling anxious about them.

Take care
Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Hangtough
14-06-06, 18:59
I seem to have every side effect going when taking medication, but it does pass and you do get the benefit. Someone once said to me, short term pain, long term gain...I think that says it all. I know it's scary, but it will be ok. I'm still here to tell the tale. And the side effects are never as bad as the leaflets say.

Good luck
Hang tough