PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding after sex

debbsi
16-01-12, 07:13
Dont believe this - just as my sex drive was returning to normal after being afraid of bleeding after sex - it happened!
I had a cervical erosion about 5 years ago which was cauterised. As my health anxiety got worse I stopped having sex and my marriage nearly ended. In Sept last year we sorted things out, I started my CBT and now things are much better. Then last night I bled - bright red blood after sex, I am on day 14 of my cycle and am 39, not on contraceptives, not pregnant and my last smear was about 18 months ago and was normal - never had an abnormal one.
So Im guessing its another erosion or linked to my age - as I do have some perimenopausal symptoms.
I had stopped looking for reasurrance each time I was worried over something - I am going to see my GP when I can get an appointment to see the nice one!
I'm trying not to worry - and so far much better than I would have been 6 months ago if this had happened then

Acidomoduso
16-01-12, 08:06
My wife had exactly the same as you. She also had her erosion sorted and now things are much better. This was last year. She had been suffering for many, many years with it. Maybe you need to go back and have it cauterised again. I know that her doctor said it may come back.

debbsi
16-01-12, 13:59
Hi
thanks that makes me feel much better - I didnt know if it could come back or not - when i had mine done i didnt really get any after care and forgot to ask xx

---------- Post added at 13:59 ---------- Previous post was at 13:54 ----------

i seem to have put my post in the wrong place - i meant it to go under female health issues-oops

RosieXXX
16-01-12, 14:48
Hello debbsi,

The good news is your smear was perfectly normal, so you have nothing to worry about there.

Unfortunately cervical erosions can appear again and also sometimes the tissue on the cervix can become quite fragile, which can cause a problem too. I know it can be very disconcerting having this symptom, but I am sure once you have seen your doctor she will be able to reassure you all is well. :hugs:

debbsi
16-01-12, 14:56
thanks Rosie - I have an appointment this afternoon, so I hope he makes me feel better x

chelley27
16-01-12, 15:30
I have this,mine bleeds on contact so i cant use tampons at all , it hurts and bleeds when i have sex. i had a colposcopy and it came back normal. the explanation i was given was that its normal for some women to bleed ;-( so i guess i just put up with it.
im 27 and i dont have children yet

debbsi
16-01-12, 16:45
Hi
Oh Chelley poor you :(
But thanks for that cos it makes me feel less alone!
Ive just got back from the drs he said i need another smear test but GPs can no longer break the 3 yr cycle so he has to refer me directly to the colposcopy clinic - which i think is better as if it need cauterising again they can do it there and then so no waiting around for smear results then having to go to clinic after that. So just got to wait for an appointment now - I asked him if it was normal to have repeat erosions he said it was normal to have repeat erosions or ectopys,so I feel much better now. Not looking forward to the appointment - but who enjoys having a smear done anyway x

chelley27
16-01-12, 17:14
Hi
Oh Chelley poor you :(
But thanks for that cos it makes me feel less alone!
Ive just got back from the drs he said i need another smear test but GPs can no longer break the 3 yr cycle so he has to refer me directly to the colposcopy clinic - which i think is better as if it need cauterising again they can do it there and then so no waiting around for smear results then having to go to clinic after that. So just got to wait for an appointment now - I asked him if it was normal to have repeat erosions he said it was normal to have repeat erosions or ectopys,so I feel much better now. Not looking forward to the appointment - but who enjoys having a smear done anyway x

I hope you get the results you want, it is awful having to go to those kind of appointments, i can honestly say the smear and the colposcopy wasnt bad but the biopsy of the womb really really hurt i cried. but they all came back normal. it is so frustrating when we get normal results but still experience the symptoms. Repeat erosions are not unknown but im a little worried as someone told me these can cause ectopic pregnancies, do you know if there is any truth in that? i really hope not, we are trying for a baby at the moment :-( xx

debbsi
16-01-12, 17:21
Oh sorry hun I dont know - I have had my family as Im nearly 40, Im very lucky to have 2 children, I hope you manage to get pregnant. I had problems in my 2nd one age 25 as I had some bleeding - I think this is where my fear originally stems from. I bled twice early on then went on to have a normal full term pregnancy - he's 14 now!
Fingers crossed for you xx

chelley27
16-01-12, 17:29
thanks hun i shall keep trying for sure, xx:)

Munchlet
16-01-12, 20:40
Hi

I could have written your post myself!

I have had exactly the same problems as you and I'm 39 in a couple of months, mine started 7 yrs ago after my son was born, was told it was an ectropion, had it treated, all ok, but sex life plummeted because of my anxiety.

Then all seemed to be ok for a while but same thing started again recently, so after a visit to the nurse who told me it hadn't come back I finally plucked up the courage to see the well woman dr at our surgery who has said it has, it's quite small but is there and if knocked it will bleed.

So she reassured me about that and my smear was normal 7 months ago, but to put my mind at rest she is sending me for an ultrasound to prove that's the problem. Unfortunately that's now started me worrying about ovarian cancer so I'm gone from cervical cancer to ovarian in a couple of weeks!!!!:scared15:

But they definately can return, it's caused by our hormones so all the time we are pre-menoupausal they can occur.

Greenman50
18-01-12, 23:30
Just wanted to say us men seem to have it easy in the down there department :blush:, my wife has had a number of issues aswell but ok now .

We have it easy .

debbsi
19-02-12, 18:33
Hi
Thought Id update - my GP referred me to gynae, I went last week and she examined me and said there was no erosion but i had some bartholyn cysts which may have bled. She said to come back if it happens again.

So now Im freaking out about having sex - I want to try to see if it happens again, but I really dont feel like having sex due to the anxiety!! Grrr maybe a large glass of wine or two!

oneofus
19-02-12, 18:43
Just wanted to say us men seem to have it easy in the down there department :blush:, my wife has had a number of issues aswell but ok now .

We have it easy .

I would like to disagree! Shortly after we married I manged to burst my foreskin, bled like a pig. Amusing to go to the docs. He did offer to put a stitch or two in but I declined :whistles:

One of us

---------- Post added at 18:43 ---------- Previous post was at 18:40 ----------

Hi
Thought Id update - my GP referred me to gynae, I went last week and she examined me and said there was no erosion but i had some bartholyn cysts which may have bled. She said to come back if it happens again.

So now Im freaking out about having sex - I want to try to see if it happens again, but I really dont feel like having sex due to the anxiety!! Grrr maybe a large glass of wine or two!

My wife had a small problem with bleeding, which seems to have been fixed by using an internal coil. Oddly coffee often made it worse, probably due to caffeines effect on causing small blood vessels to enlarge.

One of us

debbsi
19-02-12, 19:01
think i was wrong when i said bartholin cyst I think is was Nabothian cyst.
Ive just finished a course of CBT and Im desperatly trying to move on and stop worrying - but its soooo hard :(
My mood hasnt been good for the last few days - Im sure Ill be fine in a couple of days but Im really impatient :mad: