PDA

View Full Version : Need help...please read

beth0277
16-01-12, 19:07
I posted the following thread a few days ago. I have felt okay about things and the smell actually seemed to go away for a few days, but now it is back. I don't know if I am just thinking about it too much or what is going on. I am going to CBT and my therapist has recommended that I don't have any unnecessary health tests but I am so lost as to whether to get this checked out or not. I am hopeful that if I try to forget about it that it will go away, but I don't know. I never had this issue before my HA flared up again. I know it can be a sign of a brain tumor and I don't think I have any of the other symptoms but I have been careful not to google it. My vision is fine and I do have headaches, but I have had them for as long as I can remember and they haven't gotten any worse. I don't know if I just have super senses with my anxiety and because I know that the smoke smell can be dangerous I have "tricked" my mind into smelling it more and more. I don't know what to do. I have a history of running to the doctor for every little thing and getting tons of tests so I am trying to stop that. My therapist said that in order for me to get better, I have to stop the "checking". I did have a clean CT scan about 18 months ago. Can anyone give me advice? What should I do? I quoted the original message below...

My HA flared up about a month or so ago. I was in a store a few weeks ago and I smelled perfume very strongly. I was several feet behind the woman wearing it so I felt like I had super senses. There is no way she had that much perfume on, I felt like it was up my nose. Then, I noticed a really strong "warm" smell in my car that no one else noticed- again, super senses I believe.

One day at work, I started smelling smoke. I freaked thinking something was on fire, but it wasn't. Since then, I get this smell several times a day. I have thought the worse (of course) like a brain tumor.

Does anyone else get these sort of smells? I never had them before my anxiety got bad.

---------- Post added at 14:07 ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 ----------

Well, I haven't gotten any responses but thought I would update. I couldn't handle the stress and went to the ER. They got me in fast for a CT scan and I am in my room right now. They just came and said everything was normal and they think the smell is coming from a bacterial nasal infection. The dr I saw said this is the case most of the time, not something frightening like a tumor. I am getting antibiotics and will be on my way.

I just wanted to update for anyone who may have similar fears. I was so sure it was a tumor that i have ignored my sore throat and runny nose. It still may just be my anxiety, but at least anything neurological has been ruled out. They said if it doesn't improve, I can always go see an ENT.