PDA

View Full Version : Facing up to fear

bluebel
16-01-12, 19:29
Its taken me a while to post of my problems in here, firstly because i wasnt quite sure which area i fitted into as anxiety, depression and panic attacks do seem to blend into each other or are caused by each other. and secondly because its taken me time to face up to the fact that i have them.

I think i have a general anxiety i am a major worrier, but taking note of how i am when meeting new people i would say i have some social anxiety too.
the anxiety turns to panic the closer the appointment/meeting gets.
I get all the usual symptoms, shortness of breath, sweating, heart palpatations, and this then leads onto fear.

someone once told me that fear is Future Events Apearing Real, and that if you have anxiety or panic attacks about things that have not happend yet, your body reacts as though the situation has happend and you get the physical manifestion of that.

Ive tried most things to help me with my anxiety and panic, CBT and i think ive been on some kind of councelling or with a psycologist since the age of about 20 (i am now 41), things help for a while but then a stressfull situation occurs and i find myself back to square one so to say.

It has a major impact on my life, i wont go to certain places becuase i have a fear of being alone, i wont go to social functions becuase i dont know how to talk to people (this is most likely to cause a panic attack) and if i have a bump in my everyday life (a worry) i cannot let it go, people say oh stop worrying but i dont think they know how hard that is.

I have finally decided to try anti depressants just give me a little boost to carry out normal day to day stuff, my depression is getting worse and i have now found little joy in most things, this is a major desision for me as i am very much into self help and natural remedies. but i think after 20 years ive given it a good go.

Sorry this post is so long, but its been nice to get some of it out in the open, thanks for reading.

Stormsky
16-01-12, 19:41
hi..
im not a fan of Anti D's, took them for 10yrs.. and spent most of that trying to get off them again.. been off them 5 months now... but i totally understand you wanting to try them so as to get some normality out of life after suffering 20yrs..i think with fear, is that if you fear a situation or tell yourself something will happen in a situation, youve already added fear to something you havent done yet... we arent born with fear/anx, we learn it, and so have to un learn it... you have to tell yourself that lots of great things are going to happen if you try this or that, and start to get good feelings about things youve yet to do...:)

bluebel
17-01-12, 10:56
thanks stormsky, yes fear is learnt.

ive got an appointment with my doc today shes a good one so hopefully will sort something out today, also appointment with psycologist so will chat to her too.

anti depressants are the last stop for me but things are just piling up at the moment its causing my anxiety to go through the roof.:weep:

mmb
18-01-12, 12:05
Hi Bluebel,
I think the title of your thread says it all... I have tried Anti D's and wasn't very good with them, but I know lots of people (including in my family) that are... you are making a decision, you're trying to take control over your life and trying to feel better and that's great! Good luck and I hope you start to feel better soon xx

bluebel
21-01-12, 22:39
Thanks mmb, ive been to see my doc and decided not to go on anti d's i just dont trust them, but i have a few more coping stratergies and i have to say finding this site has been a god send, just to know your not the only person who goes through this is very helpfull.

CONS
21-01-12, 23:03
Thanks mmb, ive been to see my doc and decided not to go on anti d's i just dont trust them

Excellent, now get to some talking group therapy, realise your very normal and start to get your life back, knowing what you have is one thing, facing it head on and stepping outside your comfort zone until it is mastered is another, all the best