PDA

View Full Version : Should I or shouldn't I

ewood79
16-01-12, 21:17
Hi guys

I've been a bit anxious of late and obsessing at all sorts of things.....

I was just concerned of late about blood pressure....

My blood pressure ranges from 130/80 to 140/80 most times and when I completed a stress test 6 months ago it was 140/60

I went to the doctor last week and I was like stresses out an the nurse took it an it was 170/80 but then went down to 150/80

When I went in to see the doctor etc and discussed what we did he checked it and it was 145/80 and said its all good!

I'm like now wondering if I should get a BP machine and see how I go etc..... But I'm sure it will just make me worry more.....

countrygirl
16-01-12, 22:21
No no no no no! is that strong enough advice:D:D

The worst possible thing for anyone with ha is a bp machine as you will be taking your bp every 10 mins and the more you stress the higher it goes so the more you stress etc etc. I know as I have been there and done that as have loads of people on here.

Your bp is completely normal and actually very good for someone with ha in a medical setting, this is one thing you def do not need to worry about:yesyes:

xtremx
16-01-12, 22:27
No no no no no! is that strong enough advice:D:D

The worst possible thing for anyone with ha is a bp machine as you will be taking your bp every 10 mins and the more you stress the higher it goes so the more you stress etc etc. I know as I have been there and done that as have loads of people on here.

Your bp is completely normal and actually very good for someone with ha in a medical setting, this is one thing you def do not need to worry about:yesyes:

Listern to what countrygirl said nonononono I bought one and wish i never did was needing new batteries for it every week. I was taking my bp several time in a row every hour or so and got stressed out by the readings.

Your doctor is right you bp is ok. You read on the net about 120/80 and below but i would say every doctor would tell you that 140/80s is fine mine does

Save you money :)

cathycrumble
16-01-12, 22:31
country girl is right I too stress over BP my stress came after a few domestic problems then losing my job. I cant stop thinking about it and I am absoulty teffified of having it done I cant take it myself I gave my machine to my ex and waiting for CBT to help me deal with this problem my gp says I am putting all my anxiety on the bp because my last reading at my gp and i was stressed was 128/80 I dont need to go back for another 12 months but why cqant I get it in my head that it is fine I do take a 5mg of amlodpine

Your BP is spot on

Cathy xx

EmmerLooeez
16-01-12, 22:56
Do NOT get a BP test!! Please don't.
I think you know yourself that it will only make you worry yourself more.
You're probably thinking that it would be a great source of reassurance being able to check it, but the chances are that you would be using the machine when you were feeling anxious - a time when you're blood pressure is naturally at its highest and this would only cause you to worry more.

You can have a blood pressure test any time at the doctors, that is probably better for your panic. :)
Take care and look after yourself.
x

ewood79
16-01-12, 23:12
Thank you guys you are legends I think I know deep down it would be a bad move.... I didnt really know how much your BP can rise in times of anxiety and your right it would just cause me to stress.....

My counsellor said look at this way if you have worked a full day, rushed to the dr, have anxiety issues at present and are worried about your BP and it's 140/80 and maybe 150/80 but then goes back down after 5 mins you have actually really good BP!

Thanks so much guys for your replies you have all made me smile...

Jarrod xx

Mirabelle
17-01-12, 00:09
Hi wood
The BP readings you quote are normal, healthy readings and no sign of trouble at all
xx

ewood79
17-01-12, 20:34
I didn't realize how much your blood pressure can be affected by anxiety .....

bignik
17-01-12, 20:38
good advice I have one , and I check it every hour. I am getting to the point where I am going to throw it in the garbage bin.

There is also a thing called white coat syndrome , they saying just visiting the doc raises BP in most people , also if a smoker a simple thing like a cigarette an hour before reading will give higher readings.

sickandtired
17-01-12, 20:39
noooo dont get a monitor....your BP is normal!!
Im on meds for BP....before ....it was 210/120 !!!!!
now its around 138/84 just right....
but before Xmas after a bout of panic attacks....it had gone up to 150/100 even WITH my BP meds!!!!!
I am taking AD,s now as well.....feel alot calmer and know I need to practice keeping relaxed and stop letting my thoughts get the better of me

robin321
17-01-12, 21:05
I agree with the others. Do not get a machine!
I developed a big panic of taking my blood pressure after getting a high reading at the pharmacy. I rushed to do a stress test, and a 24 hour monitoring. Trust me, the monitoring was not fun. It took it every 1/2 hr, and I was in a panic each time. I drove my wife nuts.

BTW, my reading were 155/110 (avg) when panicked, and 123/83 on the 24hr monitor (which was prob still high). It was also normal during stress test. But if I take it myself at pharmacy I still panic, and get readings in the 155/110 range. So don't worry. Your readings are fine.

cathycrumble
17-01-12, 21:28
How do you keep it out of your mind now Robin and how do you cope about getting it taken in the future I keep getting this picture in my mind of me walking in the surgery and panicing and they wont be able to get a proper reading. I did have it done the other week I asked my gp to do it and I was nervous but it was 128/80 so I know I can go and have it done but I just panic in my head and think I cant.

I have not been keepfit for ages as i start thinking of my bp going up and that is the silliest thought ever because excesize helps bp
I have definitely lost the plot with this bp lol

Cathy xx:roflmao:

ewood79
17-01-12, 23:21
I knew that it wasn't high I just was seeking that constant reassurance but when my counsellor said if its 140/80 at the end of a hard working day with lots of anxiety I'm not doing to bad after all.

With my counsellor I've been doing a lot of uncovering and I've really had health anxiety since I was a young boy say 5 or 6 I'm 33 now!

I should say periods of it but still amazed me how far back it went too.

---------- Post added at 09:51 ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 ----------

And robin 123/82 is perfect blood pressure!

Acidomoduso
18-01-12, 13:10
As someone who has hereditary high blood pressure, i can say those readings are normal. My reading WITH taking 100mg of Losartan a day is anywhere between 135-165 for the systolic (the working heart rate) and 90-110 for the diastolic (the resting heart rate). The diastolic is the one they are more bothered about. Anything consistantly over 90 is considered hypertension and needs monitoring. Anything consistantly over 100 needs meds normally. My highest reading was 190/180 in the throes of one of my panic attacks!

I have to have a BP monitor to keep an eye on it but i only check it once a week AT THE VERY MOST! :)

In your case, i wouldn't waste your money. A yearly check-up is all that's needed.

ewood79
18-01-12, 21:12
Thanks for the reply! After my stress test the bottom one was 60 so
That's pretty good then!?