PDA

View Full Version : Heart Worry

Natalie x
16-01-12, 22:09
Hi. I had a twinge in my left arm earlier and then in my shoulder which has eased now, however I have a habit of when I start to feel anything like that I automatically check my pulse. My pulse felt quite slow and then obviously I panicked. I then felt a bit funny like my eyes were a bit fuzzy and now I'm starting to panic again. Can anyone relate to this? I'm worried my heart is going to stop or something x

xtremx
16-01-12, 22:15
Hi. I had a twinge in my left arm earlier and then in my shoulder which has eased now, however I have a habit of when I start to feel anything like that I automatically check my pulse. My pulse felt quite slow and then obviously I panicked. I then felt a bit funny like my eyes were a bit fuzzy and now I'm starting to panic again. Can anyone relate to this? I'm worried my heart is going to stop or something x

Hello Natalie. Easy said that done but try to calm down. I have so many heart worries this past year or so and I am still here.

I get arm/shoulder twinges everyday and arm pain that starts in the shoulder and goes down my arm. But as with most thing I think bad posture can be to blame (thats for me).

I like you find myself checking my pulse when stuff like this happens but it never really tells me much and then i start to stress.

Babikins
16-01-12, 22:29
Hey Natalie, how are you feeling now?

It seems more likely to be a musculoskeletal twinge than anything cardiac related. If something more sinister was going on you would have a whole host of problems, like cold sweats, nausea, shaking, loss of muscle strength, speech problems etc etc. Sounds like you are having a bad patch of anxiety and panic. Don't forget, rushes of adrenaline caused my panic can make you feel poorly in themselves. Try to keep calm, deep breaths and rationalise with yourself for a while. Keep and eye on how you feel and if you genuinely feel like it could be something more, give the NHS direct a call. Heres hoping you feel better soon! x

Natalie x
16-01-12, 22:33
Thank you both for your replies. I was sitting doing college work on my laptop lying in bed so that could maybe be the cause of the twinges which has then lead me to have the funny breathing and taking my pulse. I'll try and watch some tv and put it out of my head. As you both said, easier said than done! x

---------- Post added at 22:33 ---------- Previous post was at 22:31 ----------

Hi Babikins. Thank you for your reply. It could just be the way I have been sitting on my laptop. I'm trying not to think about it and try not to take my pulse and hopefully it will pass x

EmmerLooeez
16-01-12, 22:34
Hello,

I'm sorry that you're feeling like this. Your heart won't stop for no reason, I've actually been told that we that suffer with anxiety have stronger hearts than the norm due to the 'work out' that panic provides our heart with (it is a muscle after all)

I worry a lot about my heart and so can relate to what you're feeling - if there were something wrong with your heart I think you would have experienced more than a twitch, though I know this can be worrying. What were you doing prior to checking your pulse? A slow heart is actually a good sign :) the fittest people have a slower heart rate so try not to worry yourself.

I know it is easier said than done but try and not to check your pulse as this will probably only make your mind more ill at ease.
Your heart is still beating! And it will continue to do so for a very long time.

Hope you're okay, try not to worry yourself too much, take care.
Emma. x

pablo22
17-01-12, 02:40
i agree with emmerlooeez! we probably have stronger, resilient hearts thaan the general population! i always get this.. i funny feeling in my chest of arm or shoulder.. i automatically think .. "theres something wrong with my heart i'm going to collapse and die" ..then i get more anxious.. then my anxiety symptoms.. than boom.. panic attack.. and i wont leave the bed for the day lol

kinnygirl1
17-01-12, 13:40
Hi there - I get this constantly so I can really relate- just reading your post I started to get chest and left arm pains of my own and I am all kind of jittery today. It's hard to believe that it could be anxiety but it is very likely to be. A member on here told me that a heart attack usually ocurs within 15 mins of onset of symptons so I always wait 15 mins after I feel one of my twinges or pain and if I am ok make a conscious effort to put it to the back of my mind.

hugs

K x