PDA

View Full Version : New at this

FurtherSeemsForever
02-05-04, 18:12
Hello all...I've been reading a lot about panic attacks over the last couple days. I'm starting to learn what it is all about. I'm 20 years old and in college. It's been a rough year - and finals are just beginning (meaning the end is near!). I had my first panic attack about a month ago. I actually had tried smoking pot for the first time - and I flipped out and went running down the street. By the time my friends caught up with me - I was saying how nothing was real and how life didn't matter anymore. That first attack was purly terrifying (i'm shaking just thinking about it). But the other day I had another one out of nowhere - I was walking to a class, and suddenly everything in my vision kind of twisted and I was left feeling like nothing was real again - it's such a completely ridiculous feeling thinking about it all after the fact. But my heart starts racing and I feel like I can't breathe hard enough. Now over the past 2 days I've been getting them about twice a day. They're very very small - the initial fear feeling lasts about 5 seconds - and then the trying to calm myself down takes about 5-10 minutes. When the scary part of the attack happens, I forget everything that I've read online about the science behind the attack and I feel like I'm going insane. Like life doesn't exist again. It's so weird!! I'm a biology major - so I'm always looking to find scientific data to how things work. It seems to help a lot - I'm able to come out of the "unreality" much faster now that I know it's due to adrenaline, etc. Well, I'm completely new to discussion boards - I don't really know what to expect from writing all this down - but it's WONDERFUL to know that there are other people out there with this same issue. Thank you all for existing!
-Kristen

nomorepanic
02-05-04, 18:23
Hi Kristen

Welcome to the site. We appreciate that it is hard sometimes to put down in writing how you feel but you will gets loads of support on here and we will all help you as much as we can.

I have suffered for 11 years but have been much better this year. I had an anxiety attack 2 weeks ago and like you I forgot what to do and how to cope. Scary isn't it?

Quite a few of use something called "Rescue Remedy" to ease the panic feelings. I am not sure if you have seen or heard of it atall.

You also need to take a good vitamin B complex - take a look at Meg's "First Steps" post for more details. www.nomorepanic.co.uk/firststeps.htm

Have you seen the doctor atall? Has he offered any help.

Take a look around other posts and hope to hear from you again soon.

Nicola

sarah
02-05-04, 20:13
Hiya Kristen

Welcome to the site. You are right, its great to finally find other people do exist with the same problems.

We are all here to help each other so I hope we can be help to you too.

love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

dianesrm
02-05-04, 20:50
Hello there Kristen

I know this whole thing is just temporary because of all the stress you're under lately. A bio major is destined to have some anxiety problems. Are you eating enough protein? Have you lost a lot of weight lately? Do you miss your family? Ryan? Yep, that can all cause some serious problems but it will pass as soon as you're back home. I'm sure your wonderful mom will faten you right up. You're probably the pot roast/corned beef/salmon type aren't you? I might suggest going and eating a whole lot of meat and thinking on a regular basis how important you are and how much you're loved by everyone (especially your mom).

Also, NEVER do drugs. I used to have a friend who did them back in her younger days and she's not been really normal since.

Just go get in your nice new car and drive to the store and buy meat!
If you pass a stray cat along the way, take a bite.

I love you, a completely unbiased person

Meg
02-05-04, 23:16
Hi Kristen,

Well done for figuring it out and managing to shorten them now.

Do not learn to be afraid of these - as you know they will not harm you at all and you've already managing them well. Ignore them as soon as you can after they start and do not wonder too much about your situation currnetly. Just put it down as one of those things..

Your type will disappear as simply as they began as they are chemically driven and when your brain chemicals settle down so the panics will go.

Support yourself nutritionally to aid healing and you'll have this all behind you very soon.

Be aware though that you are sensitive to chemical changes so keep well away from any recreational drugs at all.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

FurtherSeemsForever
03-05-04, 01:28
Even though it's just been one day since I've found this site - I already feel so much better. When I leave my apartment and go walking down the street though, I still feel sort of strage - like I'm not all THERE. But I can control myself. I feel better after I eat a big meal. (That "diansrm" entry was from my mom - who is very supportive of this whole thing). Oh - and don't worry about the recreational drugs issue - I think I scared myself away from that once and for all. Thank you guys so much for helping out. School is almost done - and I fully expect that these attacks will go away as soon as I get back home. I just have to keep it out of my mind - and try not to think too much about them happening again. It's funny that the most stressful part of this situation is the worrying that I am going to have another attack. That just stresses me out even more, which seems to always trigger another one. Ridiculous! I'm going to keep a positive mind about it all. Best thing I can do is to try to relax, and know that it WILL end soon.
-Kristen

kate
03-05-04, 09:00
Hiya Kristen,

Welcome to the site.

The feelings of unreality are very common.

Depersonalisation would appear to occur when the mind is overcome with anxious thoughts and as such shuts itself off to try to protect you from these thoughts.

This results in the feelings of unreality.

As you say, the most stressful part is the fear of having another attack which of course feeds the fear.

You have the right approach. You are keeping positive and relaxed, which is the best thing you can do!

Take care

Kate x

Meg
03-05-04, 09:53
Kristen,

Fear of the fear (having another one) is one of the main reasons that people stay in the cycle long after the triggers have gone..

get busy, distract yourself, have belief that they will go and most of all as soon asyou find yourslef thinking about it - stop and force yourself to think of something else for 5 mins or so.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

me
03-05-04, 13:32
hello kristen, welcome to the site, its wonderful full of great advice and lovely people. you sound like you have been having a very stressfull time, i believe stress brought my panics on but with the help of this great site, eating properly, taking vitamins, relaxing more and the support of my family and friends im getting better. your mum sounds lovely. you take care from mary x

nomorepanic
03-05-04, 14:04
quote:Originally posted by FurtherSeemsForever

(That "diansrm" entry was from my mom - who is very supportive of this whole thing).
-Kristen

Kristen, that is so lovely that your mum has come on here to help and support you. I did wonder how she knew you.;)

The worrying and waiting for the panic to happen is horrid isn't it? It seems to hit you when you least expect it doesn't it?

You have a good attitude for coping with these attacks and we all wish you the best of luck with the recovery. :)

Nicola

FurtherSeemsForever
03-05-04, 22:36
Hey - Today has been fantastic! I've been eating more, and I haven't touched a cup of coffee now for the past few days - and so far (it's 4:30) I haven't had any serious symptoms. I've been keeping myself very very busy - studying for finals, and filling out my application for transfer to Northwestern University. It's getting much easier to just stop thinking about panicking at all...when I find myself getting a little light-headed, and feel my heart starting to speed up from worrying too much - I quickly start concentrating really hard on a certain thought - for example, my boyfriend, or how good it feels to have so many people who are willing to help me. I have found that when I pray and thank God for EVERYTHING that I have, it completely makes me feel calmer and more relaxed. My heart slows down and I stop worrying that I am about to have another one. I also find that it helps to be around people, and listening to good music keeps my mind from traveling to places I dont want it to travel to. Breathing slowly with my stomach helps a lot too - it just naturally slows everything down and I feel less anxious. I talked to a friend of mine whose mom is a nurse - and she said that one way to quickly stop your heart from beating too fast is to press down (like you're taking a Number Two) on your intestines. Keep in mind - she's a nurse - I did not make this up. She said that she gets many people in the hospital with panic attacks, and pressing down like that decreases heart rate almost immediately. I dont know if that may help any of you out there...I know it's kind of gross to talk about - but who knows! Maybe it'll help out. I'll be on again later - thanks again everyone!

-Kristen

sadie
03-05-04, 22:53
Hi Kristen,

You seem to be coping with your panic attacks quite well which is great news. Keep positive about them and always remember they can not harm you..even though it doesnt feel like that at the time. Read as much info you can about panic attacks and that should help you understand your symptoms a lot more.

Anyway, welcome aboard and keep up the good work because the quicker you control your panic attacks the less likely you will suffer longterm.

Keep in touch and good luck with your exams.

sadie