PDA

View Full Version : doc wants me to increase my 37.5 mg to 75mg scared...

Conorm
17-01-12, 17:05
hi all i been on 37.5 mg for the past 18 days , they dont seem to off made me worse or not that i can tell coz my anxiety , depression n pure o has been bad anyway due to being due on and then on my period ..sorry boys
i have now finished my period and its the day after and i have felt propper crap today .....
i dunno wether to wait till im at day 21 so it gives my hormones a bit of time to adjust back so i know wether or not its all been crap due hormones or taking the tab??

any 1 got any suggestions and what have u noticed when increasing on this med , i dont wanna feel any worse than i do :(

xxx

petram
17-01-12, 17:18
sorry that last thread went through on my sons account not mine!!! so its from me x

petram
18-01-12, 18:28
okay i bit bullet n took 1 last night too, i went to bed around 9.30 -10 woke up at 2 ish , managed to get back to sleep ok , felt bit more settled than normal .. had a bit of a headache n a few palps in me throat .

petram
19-01-12, 21:39
day 2 , took roughly same time last night slept lightly , woke up felt moody which made me feel anxious n thoughty, took kids to school come home felt very relaxed so drifted lightly to sleep ,had a bout 45 mins still feeling anxious whilst being half a sleep , sat up felt more anxious , went to the shop felt very anxious walked home got in and felt alot brighter :) for a lil while then a lil anxious again , had a lil headache , noticed ocd thoughts alot more today grrrr. my brighter moments were nice but alot of ocd n anxiety in between them. will take 3rd 1 on upped dose again tonight , with the hope i have a better day tom plz god . x

brit
20-01-12, 12:06
Keep at it, i found venlafaxine pulled me out of a very dark place.

It was a long time ago when i started taking it (i'm off it now, but thats another story) but i seem to remember that going from 37.5 to 75 made me feel a bit sick. Other than that it was ok.

You will find that any anti-deppresent takes time to start working properly, usually anywhere from 2 weeks to 4 or even 6 weeks.

You will also find though that you will start having more good days than bad, and the bad days wont be so bad.

Keep at it, keep posting on here, we will support you!
:)

Pipkin
20-01-12, 13:11
Hi - I'm at exactly the same stage as you - day 3 of 37.5 to 75mg. I feel ok, just a bit more nauseous than before, and a bit of a headache. I can put up with these, it was increased anxiety which I was really worried about but so far, so good.
Hope you're doing ok too
P x

petram
20-01-12, 13:47
ah thank u for the replies xxx i really do need the support as do u . i got headaches that come n go , sleeping quite lightly but i been like for some while now . do get waves of tiredness .
pipkin do u take the lil peachy ones 2 1 am n 1 at night b4 bed?
do u mind if i ask what your taking them for hun?? xxx
thx again both of u

---------- Post added at 12:47 ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 ----------

i just hit the 3 week mark yesterday all together x

chappers1980
20-01-12, 16:18
I've had 4 weeks on 75mg and my GP says i only have to take them for another 4 weeks and then i can start to come off them as i'm feeling so much better

Hope you are all ok

I've nearly completed my phased return at work and am feeling really good still. I still have the odd anxious moment but i can talk myself down.

I've also noticed my sex life is so much better and i'm having so much more fun than i was. I also am enjoying going to sleep again rather than dreading waking up :0)

Hope everyone is doing ok xxx

petram
20-01-12, 17:30
im really pleased for u , i do hope n pray these work the same way for us in the early stages at the mo too :))
great news , dont rush of them!! lol
ty for replying n keep in touch
xx

Pipkin
20-01-12, 17:39
Hi everyone,
Feeling ok on the whole but still feeling nauseous (why does in come in a wave when you yawn?) and have a headache (I get migraines anyway and this is probably linked). Not experiening any increased anxiety though and this is my 3rd day of the upped dose. I have been on venlafaxine before so knowing that I can tolerate them and that they work for me makes me feel a lot better about them.
Petram - to answer your questions:
Yes, I take the peach tablets (37.5mg), 1 in the morning and 1 at night. However, I saw my GP this week and asked him for the modified release capsules so I will be changing to these from my next prescription. I did this for convenience and also the last time I took them, I remember that taking one in the evening had a habit of either keeping me awake or giving me some very strange dreams (and not in a good way).
I'm taking them for anxiety. Before Christmas, the GP prescribed sertraline. I took it for a week and had the most horrendous experience where my anxiety went through the roof and was worse than it had ever been. I ended up seeing an emergency doctor at the weekend thinking I was having some kind of serious reaction. I can honestly say that I have never felt that bad before - it was just awful. I think it was just that they weren't for me and I wasn't prepared to stick it out when I knew there was an alternative that worked for me.
Hope you are all ok. Keep posting so we can give each other some moral support. I'm hoping that the worst is behind us but there will still be some days which are a bit of a bumpy ride.
P x

chappers1980
20-01-12, 17:46
Hi everyone,
Feeling ok on the whole but still feeling nauseous (why does in come in a wave when you yawn?) and have a headache (I get migraines anyway and this is probably linked). Not experiening any increased anxiety though and this is my 3rd day of the upped dose. I have been on venlafaxine before so knowing that I can tolerate them and that they work for me makes me feel a lot better about them.
Petram - to answer your questions:
Yes, I take the peach tablets (37.5mg), 1 in the morning and 1 at night. However, I saw my GP this week and asked him for the modified release capsules so I will be changing to these from my next prescription. I did this for convenience and also the last time I took them, I remember that taking one in the evening had a habit of either keeping me awake or giving me some very strange dreams (and not in a good way).
I'm taking them for anxiety. Before Christmas, the GP prescribed sertraline. I took it for a week and had the most horrendous experience where my anxiety went through the roof and was worse than it had ever been. I ended up seeing an emergency doctor at the weekend thinking I was having some kind of serious reaction. I can honestly say that I have never felt that bad before - it was just awful. I think it was just that they weren't for me and I wasn't prepared to stick it out when I knew there was an alternative that worked for me.
Hope you are all ok. Keep posting so we can give each other some moral support. I'm hoping that the worst is behind us but there will still be some days which are a bit of a bumpy ride.
P x

In the early days, I got a few bad headaches. i think a lot of the symptoms i thought were side effects were actually still my anxiety like nausea cos i wasn't eating or sleeping properly. But they've all gone now, and a benefit for me has been that i haven't put on loads of weight and i prefer myself a bit slimmer which has boosted my confidence. I do recommend that everyone has some kind of talking therapy as well though as these can't sort everything out. I hate saying this but for me I am glad i had all this experience from start to finish as its really made me reevaluate my life. Its given me a real kick up the bum to change the things that were getting me down or anxious. Slowly the changes are starting to make a difference, which in turn means i'm not relying so much on my medication xxx

petram
20-01-12, 17:55
hi pip , waves of tiredness i mean not constant it comes over me every now and again just feel bit drowsy.
i was also on sertaline for 8 weeks and it made my anxiety so high it triggered off nasty ocd thoughts which im still having which led me to have depression too , iv had nothing up untill this last 3 weeks . for 12 weeks prior to the sertaline , coz i was scared stiff of meds !! however i couldnt cope , so had to try something.

i have found today that iv had a better day than yesterday where as yesterday i good moments today iv had a few bad half hours . headaches again that come n go and increased dry mouth .

has anyone drunk any alcohol on these tabs , i dont mean a binging session i mean 2 or 3 drinks?? and how was u if u did so??
xx

brit
20-01-12, 21:51
I've had 4 weeks on 75mg and my GP says i only have to take them for another 4 weeks and then i can start to come off them as i'm feeling so much better

Whow.. Careful now....
I dont know your specific situation, but i cant see how taking them for 8 weeks and then stopping will do you much good?

Just be careful that when you come off them you dont slip back - they arent like a sticking plaster that you remove when the cut is healed.
Usually people are on these for a fair amount of time, and once maybe some therapy has taken place then you can start to withdraw from them.

I'm not trying to be arsey, and obviously i'm not saying your doc is wrong, but please be carefull. Its not an easy drug to withdraw from, i came off it before i was ready and i'm still dealing with the fallout now 12 months later.
Take care,
Nick

Catya
20-01-12, 23:31
Yes, I too think that's quite soon to come off them? Take care.

petram
20-01-12, 23:45
i think chappers means she was on 37.5 mg for a while before upping to 75mg ??? xx

---------- Post added at 22:45 ---------- Previous post was at 22:45 ----------

and she s been on the 75mg for 4 weeks

petram
21-01-12, 11:42
day 4 off increase woke up fine , got up felt some anxiety coming on and harm thoughts which i didnt take to kindly too :( infact had a lil cry after , but its saturday so change from normal routine , gotta go asda ext so il see how that goes and post back later . xx

Pipkin
21-01-12, 15:08
Day 4 of increase for me too. Still feel ok though I think I'm a bit twitchy. I seem to be quite tense and keep grinding my teeth which is giving me a headache.

Although it says to avoid alcohol, I had a couple of glasses of wine last night and feel ok. It just seemed to make me really drowsy so I ended up going to bed early. A good night's sleep though. Want to go for a walk but it's wet and windy here in Yorkshire. Maybe later. Take care

Pip x

petram
21-01-12, 16:48
hi all , well asda s was fun NOT ... my harm ocd as been a complete bitch all day so far brightened up for 5 secs then wallop it starts again , maybe the increase is stirring it up a bit or just a bad with it god only know s just wish it would kindly go away !! not so much anxiety with it just bit down n tearfull with it .........its not great here either pip had a lil bit of sunshine earlier .
take care
pet xx

petram
22-01-12, 18:26
hi all this morning was ok few ocd thoughts but generally ok bit tense rather than anxious, day 5 off upping to 75mg, came home and something s had been niggling me i mostlytalk with my son about my ocd n anxiety and him me with his , we got a great relationship to be fair on this stuff, but i want my hubby to show more off a interest like ask how i am wat kinda day i had instead off rolling his eye s or just sitting in silence and not talking to me dont get me wrong he s a great man but dont seem to talk to me about it an di need that from him , he just seems to sulk as we dont make love very regular at the mo and havent for the last 4 months , as we did have a good sex life...... but if he was more into me and how i was feeling id feel closer to him and more inclined for love making , i kinda mentioned this in a fashion and all i got was oh so this is my fault then attitude!!! grrrrr , i said no but aint it worth a try ??? any way it wound me up which started off me ocd thoughts ( not NIce ) ....... so iv had quite abit of ocd this afternoon ... maybe if the chat would off gone better id had a complete good day ....??? how u all doing? xxx

Pipkin
22-01-12, 18:41
Hi there. I always think that it must be difficult for other people to understand what it's really like to suffer from anxiety. I find it totally irrational so I guess others do too. My other half catches glimpses of it in himself so he is pretty understanding.

Not a bad day here though I always seem to feel tense on a Sunday as it's back to work tomorrow. Not that work stresses me, it's just that the time isn't my own and I don't have the control over what I do like at the weekend. Still taking beta blockers at the same time as the venlafaxine - I had to start these after the sertraline episode which scared the life out of me. Will stop the BBs this week, all being well.

Hope you're all ok

Pip x

Catya
23-01-12, 10:16
I'm on 75mg and I see my dr tomorrow and he did say he would increase the dose?
What seems to be the average dose, anyone know ? Thanks xx

brit
23-01-12, 12:39
I was on 75mg for 6 years, but i know people who were on much higher doses, up to 225mg per day. Everyone is different, and what works for others may not work for you.

Trust your doc
:)

petram
23-01-12, 15:24
my aunt is on 400mg!! , my uncle was on 150mg , 1 of my sisters was on 225 , my youngest sister is on 37,5 mg im on day 6 off 75mg ,

day 6 off upping woke up felt lovely , soon tho my harm ocd and intrusives thoughts have been a real bitch again!! grrr , i do wander if upping the dose has made them a bit worse??? coz i know when starting n maybe when increasing this can happen , grrrr wish it would settle down , although most of the pyshical anxiety as subsided n i guess although the ocd is being a complete ass and i hate it im coping a tiny bit better with it.
how s every 1 else doing today??
xxx

Pipkin
23-01-12, 22:16
Hi all,

Feeling better today. Nausea wearing off and headache fading. Starting to feel calmer but I reckon it's going to take another couple of weeks to get the full effect. Anyone else noticed that their pupils are more dilated than normal? Half the time, mine look like saucers and it's a bit unnerving!

P x

petram
24-01-12, 10:19
pip how long did ur doc say to wait for the increase to take a effect hun? x

Pipkin
24-01-12, 14:57
Petram,

He didn't say though from experience it's 2-3 weeks. As I've been on this before, I think the doc has pretty much left me to it, not that I mind. When first prescribed, he said start on 37.5mg a day and when I felt I could tolerate it, to move up to 75mg. He suggested after a couple of days but I waited a week.

Side effects are now minimal and anxiety is definitely getting better. Next step, moving to the MR capsules so that I can take 1 a day as I hate having to take the evening tablet (makes it harder to get to sleep).

P x

petram
24-01-12, 16:54
day 7 off upping very tired this am and a bit nervous of my ocd being as constant as day previous , laid on sofa half the morning , a friend called round for a hour had a coffee , got really tearfull for a unknown reason , ocd present but not as severe as yesterday , had a particular thought whilst on school run that distressed me and wanted to cry , i called my sister who is a long term sufferer of ocd and harm thoughts who laughe dher socks off!!!
and said dont worry about it which made me feel better .

pip so far im ok with getting to sleep on the tab i take right b4 im going to sleep tho.
i seem to be a bit slower in responding to the med than u but i have ocd depression n anxiety , like i said yesterday the anxiety is def getting better but the moods need to brighten up somewhat so i can deal /laugh/ignore my ocd better x

---------- Post added at 15:54 ---------- Previous post was at 15:52 ----------

also felt a little bit monged at times today ??

Catya
24-01-12, 17:43
Well, back from the dr and been increased to 150mg ( 2x 75mg) per day. He wouldn't let me have the extended release tab because of the cost.
Have to see how it all goes.....

petram
24-01-12, 19:06
how long u been on the 75mg catya?? xx did u not feel any benefit from the 75mg ?? xx

---------- Post added at 18:06 ---------- Previous post was at 16:58 ----------

actually it s day 6 of taking the higher dose il be taking me 7th tonight...

Catya
24-01-12, 19:45
On it a week, 40mg citalopram since beginning of November. X

petram
24-01-12, 20:03
any improvement s with in a week hun ? how long before upping dose will we expect to feel some goodness? did ya gp say??xx

Catya
24-01-12, 22:35
No....nothing in the week other than some citalopram withdrawal. Never known an antidepressant not work before.
Keeping my fingers crossed for venlafaxine to do its job!

---------- Post added at 21:35 ---------- Previous post was at 19:32 ----------

Hi all,

Feeling better today. Nausea wearing off and headache fading. Starting to feel calmer but I reckon it's going to take another couple of weeks to get the full effect. Anyone else noticed that their pupils are more dilated than normal? Half the time, mine look like saucers and it's a bit unnerving!

P x
Yes.... Bit scared about this tonight. Does it go away?

---------- Post added at 21:35 ---------- Previous post was at 21:35 ----------

The dilated pupils, that is.

petram
25-01-12, 09:59
do u think your depression or anxiety or ocd can worsen when upping peeps??xx

Pipkin
25-01-12, 10:12
Kate - I think the eyes settled down a bit last time I took venlafaxine but they always had a tendancy to be more dilated the whole time I was on them. Apart from it looking a bit odd at times, it doesn't worry me too much. As far as I know, it's only an issue if you have a history of glaucoma or high pressure in the eye. I checked the latter out with my optician and I was fine (it's that test where they blow a puff of air into your eyes and you have to try not to blink) - worth doing if you are really worried but it would be highly unlikely you have a problem.

Petram - I would say that the answer is definitely yes. That's why the recommendation is to increase gradually. I was fortunate because, as I'd taken these before, I knew they would work so that made me less anxious in itself. It will settle down and you'll start to feel better soon. Keep posting.

P x

petram
25-01-12, 10:18
ty so much pip , crying spells yesterday and not coping with the harm thoughts at all last cpl of days , ty for making me feel better xxx

---------- Post added at 09:18 ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 ----------

i did think after 18 days of 37.5 mg it was quite soon for upping other wise side effects have been quite minamal chatty teeth n lethargic . x

Catya
25-01-12, 12:22
Thanks pipkin for the reassurance.

Petram , I too have OCD ( mainly the pure o) and I can hardly believe it but my mind is quietning already. Hope this continues. Citalopram did not help me in this way. X

---------- Post added at 11:22 ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 ----------

[QUOTE=Pipkin;

P x[/QUOTE]
You are lucky. I asked my dr about these and was told they're too expensive. Hmmmm!

Pipkin
25-01-12, 13:08
Kate,

When I asked for the MR capsules, I suspected that the GP would refuse but, as I've been on these before, I explained that these were better for me last time. He hesitated, looked at me as if he was going to refuse and then changed his mind. I was fully prepared to argue a case due to the short half-life of venlafaxine and how being late with a tablet can start to have an effect. I guess different health trusts give different guidance. There are MR tablets (as opposed to capsules) which are available and are cheaper (see this link http://www.southstaffordshirepct.nhs.uk/YourHealth/docs/meds/prescNewsletters/PrescribersNewletter12.pdf), you could suggest these next time.

P x

petram
25-01-12, 17:09
catya , thats great news , is that on the 150mg or 75mg , my pure o has been bad again today but through out most of the day i have coped well with it , and feeling a bit crappy at the mo and did incurr a hour or so off phsical anxiety , palps tightness in belly n racey head . catya wat kind of pure o do u have hun ? xxx
i found ssri s made o thoughts ten x worse in fact this is why i been suffering due to taking sertaline bought out high anxiety n pure which ad completly buggered off for a good few years!!! grrrrr meds!! xxx

---------- Post added at 16:06 ---------- Previous post was at 16:04 ----------

just been informed too im next on the list to be assigned for cbt at the surgery have any of u had this for pure o ?? and did it help , all i been tol dis harm ocd is very common x

---------- Post added at 16:09 ---------- Previous post was at 16:06 ----------

seems mine as tried to get more prominent since upping the dose!! x (pure o )

Pipkin
26-01-12, 10:26
Hi all.

I decided to stop taking the beta blockers yesterday as I was only taking them to relieve the symptoms of increased anxiety while the venlafaxine is kicking in. Woke up this morning with my heart pounding, shaky and sweating but, strangely, I don't actually feel anxious, I've just got the physical symptoms. Going to see how it goes as I'm hoping this will settle down. Anyone else got experience of stopping taking BBs? I have been on them at half the recommended dose for anxiety and only for 2 weeks.

Px

petram
26-01-12, 21:37
day 8 off upping for me woke up with belly anxiety for a short time but it passed , ocd present , but coped better , really felt my old self for a cpl of hours then more belly anxiety kicked in however ocd settled not a bad day at all a few quirks of anxiety , n i have cbt assessment tom at 10 am too . eekkkk not looking forward to telling some 1 who dont know me about my harm ocd cz it s flipping nasty!! xxx
keep us up to date every 1 n how ya doing , its lovely to know how ya all doing and having a network off support on here lots of love

Pipkin
26-01-12, 22:19
Hello everyone,

Still suffering a bit here. Shaky and heart still pounding but the I'm sure that the venlafaxine has now started to kick in as I'm worrying a lot less, just have the symptoms because I've stopped the beta blockers. Looking forward to the weekend when I intend to have a relaxing time as possible and maybe indulge in a couple of glasses of wine.

Keep with it - we'll all get there. In a couple of weeks' time we'll be able to talk about how much better we're feeling.

Take care

Pip x

---------- Post added at 21:19 ---------- Previous post was at 21:17 ----------

PS Petram - know what you mean about the belly anxiety. It's a real pig and makes you feel so tense and generally ill. I fully sympathise x

petram
28-01-12, 15:30
hi pip yeah i get palpy sometime sin the bottom of my throat and also shaky hands , i see a cbt for the ocd yesterday and he was lovely .

iv had a few much better times last cpl of days also along with some poo times , i went for a curry last night and had 4 halfs of cobra it was lovely really enjoyed myself actually , ocd is being a pig today trying not to give it alot but its hard at times.
keep posting
take care
petra xx

Pipkin
28-01-12, 16:20
Hi Petra,

I'm feeling a bit better too. Not half as shaky this morning - maybe a couple of glasses of wine last night helped. Been out for a walk around town and met a couple of people from work. Putting my feet up for the rest of the afternoon. Hope you're still feeling a bit better. I've never suffered fom OCD but I can imagine that it's really hard on top of the anxiety.

Take care

Pip x

petram
28-01-12, 17:11
spoke toooo damn soon been tense n anxious most of the after noon with the ocd continuing!!!
could be hormones , dunno which but which ever it is can bog off!!!
xx
yeah pip i wouldnt wish ocd on anyone xx

petram
30-01-12, 15:21
hi pip wat day we on now with the increase??
i can feel some benifits a bit more :) still have anxiety there n ocd but mood as been lifted more at times thank god , how u been?? x

Pipkin
30-01-12, 16:41
Petra,

Starting to feel better though still a bit nauseous and nervy in the mornings. I think it's definitely kicking in now and I've stopped the beta blockers completely. I reckon another week or so should see us feeling much better.

Take care

Pip x

Conorm
30-01-12, 18:10
yes same here , i hope but hormones do effect me so im having blips through out the day do u suffer higher anxiety ext with that too??
my shaky hand turns out to be a trapped nerve.
but still am getting waves of anxiety or lulls each day but can def see a difference x

Pipkin
30-01-12, 19:41
Petra,

Being of the male persuasion (Pip = Philip), I don't suffer much with changes in hormones so I can't answer your question. Just had a stressful last hour at work and feel deathly so I'm off for a lie down - not before taking my evening tablet of course. I generally feel worst in the mornings but today has been a bit of a horror. Still, small steps...

Pip x

Catya
30-01-12, 22:38
What dose are you on pip?

Pipkin
31-01-12, 07:55
Kate,

I'm on 75mg a day - upped from 37.5 a couple of weeks ago.

Pip x

Pipkin
31-01-12, 19:25
Petra and Kate,

How are you both doing? I'm definitely feeling better each day - I just need to get over the morning shakes. I'm going to get my repeat prescription this week and move on to the capsules - I'll let you know how I get on though I think they'll be pretty much the same.

Roll on the weekend where I intend to do very little!

Pip x

Catya
31-01-12, 21:26
I am beginning to feel some benefits now... A general more optimistic feeling all round. That feels good after such a long bout of depression.

Pipkin
31-01-12, 21:31
Kate,

What dose are you on? Are you experiencing any side effects?

Pip

Carys
31-01-12, 21:33
OOo Catya that's great, you are feeling some good from it. :D

Catya
31-01-12, 23:20
Yes... Have put it in my signature I'm on 150mg split into two doses. No side effects and some benefit already after twelve days.

petram
01-02-12, 18:53
ooppps sorry pip , i should of known i used to work with a man called phill n i took it opon myself to call him pip!! lol
yeah im def noticing some improvements , however not completly there yet still expierence some daily anxiety and dips , do any of u too??
glad to hear ya all getting there , hopefully within a cpl of weeks were see even bettter improvements :)
take care xx

---------- Post added at 17:53 ---------- Previous post was at 17:52 ----------

p.s getting some headaches , and body aches dunno if this is venex or general head cold?

Pipkin
01-02-12, 19:18
Hi all,

Yep, still feeling better each day but far from where I want to be. The mornings are still the worst for feeling jittery but this morning was better than before. My saucer eyes have calmed down a bit. I was starting to worry that people at work would think I was on hard drugs! My moods are still a bit variable and today I had a very strange heavy legs feeling but it only lasted a couple of minutes.

Glad we're all starting to feel better. I reckon that another couple of weeks should see the full effects.

Take care and keep in touch.

Pip x

Catya
01-02-12, 20:39
Yes, I still get the saucer eyes Pip..... Hmmmm, can look a bit strange? Oh well.
Some improvement but still lots of anxiety but I guess it's early days. Good luck all.

treetop
03-02-12, 18:27
Hi, I'm new to this forum :blush: My dr just put me up to 75mg too in the slow release capsule. I'm getting a bit confused because it says on my packet 150mg but i suppose that means 2 x 75mg daily! so does that mean that i am going up to 75mg?

She told me to take the last week before i start on the increased dose ( i have been taking it now for 3 weeks and a couple of days.

It was strange taking these tabs because they started having a positive effect from the next day i took them. For the first five days i was feeling really good, more relaxed - almost elated but not to the manic point but almost. Then i found out i had five weeks to leave where i live which obviously sent me into a lot of stress/ panic/ anxiety and depression. I think i felt less depressed though on the whole. I have now found somewhere so that is a weight off my mind. Of course there are other things to worry about now!
Anyway- thanks for reading thus far!

Before i had my appointment I was really wanting/ hoping she would up my dose- although i didnt ask. I am worried now and I was worried then that the moving etc has sort upset the apple cart and that i am simply wanting to have a repeat of the initial feeling really good/ high even in the first week. I've had bi-polar episodes in the past or breakdowns which were quite severe where i was in hospital. Also ocd, social anxiety and a lot of depression with anxiety.

I just dont want to go manic again and lose all contact with reality - I am feeling quite balanced today funnily enough! I keep thinking, Do i need to go on a higher dose? Its really been good for me so far Venlafaxine, its increased my confidence with other people i think and I dont feel so utterly down. I just keep worrying - since i saw the dr on weds i feel better, i'm worried i might make things worse! Next week i am moving too and that is when i would increase the dose x

Pipkin
03-02-12, 18:59
Hi Treetop,

Sounds a bit confusing about your dose. I started on 37.5mg a day (1 tablet a day) and then increased to 75mg (2 x 37.5mg tablets a day). I'm just about to swap to the extended release capsules (1 x 75mg capsule a day). What was your previous dose?

Pip x

treetop
03-02-12, 22:14
Arh i see - well ish - I am currently on 75mg (2 x 37.5 mg a day) and next week i am to increase to 150 mg (1 capsule daily) i got confused because my current box says 37.5 mg on it!

I know everyone has different metabolisms and they react in different ways to drugs but it makes me feel a little better because the thread is about going up to the dose i'm already on! Still i am a bit worried about going higher! Venlafaxine does seem really good for me though. I ve taken quite a few ssri's in the past, prozac, sertraline, citalopram (which sent me manic- and did the same for my brother) but then again it works fine for others) I think the first two def helped but this one seems to have added benefits for social anxiety and confidence.

Maybe it would help to take the 150 mg - i suppose i could go back to the 75 mg if it has adverse effects on me ! :)

I started to go back to not being able to sleep that well again- i dont know if it because its so cold at the moment though!

Thanks for replying Pipkin I really appreciate it!

Pipkin
04-02-12, 00:01
Hi Treetop,

I see now. Increasing the dose can make you feel a bit strange for a week or so - that's what this thread's about. If your doc thinks that's what you need then give it a go. Keep coming on here and let us know how you're getting on. Always plenty of moral support as we know what it's like.

Take care

Pip x

treetop
04-02-12, 00:14
Thanks x

Pipkin
05-02-12, 00:12
Hi guys,

How are you all doing? I hope you're all still seeing an improvement. I'm definitely feeling better than I was. It's really interesting reading back over this thread and seeing how bad we all felt a few weeks ago. As I've said before, I have taken venlafaxine previously and I'm surprised this time that it has taken so long to see an effect and for the side effects to calm down. Either I can't remember last time or I'm more resistant this time.

I started the modified release capsules today and haven't noticed any difference. As I'm a bit of an erratic eater (and if I take them without food, I get terrible indigestion), it's easier for me to take just one a day but the effect seems to be exactly the same. Doc forgot to change the prescription from 56 tabs to 28 so I got 2 months on 1 prescription which is always a bonus.

Keep in touch

Pip x

Catya
05-02-12, 15:43
Hi. Well sitting here feeling a bit sorry for myself. Have caught a horrid sickness bug so been up half the night. Of course this is when is difficult taking meds that you have to try and keep down. With my taking it twice a day too.... Don't want to get any withdrawal. Managed to eat one grape this morning, followed hastily by my tablet. So far so good, but feel so sick still.

Pipkin
05-02-12, 16:05
Kate,

Sorry you're feeling so bad. You're right in trying to eat but i know it's really hard when you feel so ill. There's quite a lot of sickness going round here too. It'll soon pass so try to take it easy, eat what you can and you'll soon be feeling better.

Take care

Pip x

petram
08-02-12, 16:40
hi guys sorry not been on for a week , which for me is a good sign that im not as needy maybe?!
had a great weekend away for me dads b day had a good drink and flipping good hangover to match but not the anxiety n lows i normally do get .

however last 2 days i been seeing bit more anxiety and lowered mood including tears today grrrrr , however im near finishing my monthly s sorry (men) if too much info , so im hoping this is a hormone blip !!?

have any of u noticed u get hot hands on these tabs??
i been bit more sweaty last 2 nights too.
pip its now 3 weeks on the higher dose for us now isnt it?? glad ya doing good mate.
do u still get ya blips or rougher days ?

xx

petram
11-02-12, 16:50
how are we all doing ??? xx i got a sinus infection so now on anti biotics as from today and i do feel rough with it ...spoke to the gp n the pharmasist and they both said that drinking over the top last w/end and being poorly can make u have a blip !! :( xx

Pipkin
11-02-12, 17:56
Hi all,

Not too bad here. Anxiety is much better but I have a constant headache which I think is still through clenching my teeth which I must be doing when I'm asleep. Going to give it another week and then go to the dentist and see what he thinks.

Seems we're all suffering with one thing or another. The trouble with anxiety is that even normal ailments get us worried as we think it's something more sinister or a side effect from the meds. I must say though that I seem to have fewer side effects than the last time I took these, fingers crossed it stays like that.

Take care

Pip x

Catya
11-02-12, 18:25
Hi pipkin. How long have you been on them now? Did you find the anxiety increased first before getting better?

petram
14-02-12, 12:45
hi guys how is every doing i v had a crap week n a half now ok i got a sinus infection and im taking amoxilcilin 500mg 3 x day , but mood is still quite low :( anxiety is low but still apparent at times , i just wanna feel happy n these lows are giving me a negative out look and im not liking it at all :( its horrid its like you feel low in ya body .... can anyone put any light on this ?? or positive advice ?? i may have to up my ven to x 2 37.5 mg at night n 1 in the morning , which feels a shame coz i was starting too see some benifits a cpl of weeks ago , :( xxx and when u upped b4 catya my ocd def felt more worse and so did the aniexty for a cpl of weeks x

Pipkin
14-02-12, 18:44
Hi guys,

Hope everything is ok. I'm still feeling better day by day with the anxiety at the lowest for a year. I find these drugs have a numbing effect - sort of like removing the anxiety and low feelings but also the really happy feelings too. Not zombie like, more stable, which suits me fine.

I would say to have faith and that these meds can work. I know they're not for everyone but it's clear that that can take quite a while to work.

Petra - I've posted on the other thread and answered your questions.

Take care and stick with it. We're still in this together - you've all been a fantastic help over the past few weeks and I can't thank you enough.

Pip xx

---------- Post added at 17:44 ---------- Previous post was at 17:38 ----------

Sorry Kate - I've only just seen your question. It's been about 6 weeks - roughly the same as Petra. My anxiety definitely got a lot worse before it got better. Nothing like my sertraline experience though which I can only describe as horrendous - I know they work for a lot of people, and may have for me given time but I couldn't cope with them for more than the 5 days I was taking them. They made me feel more anxious than I ever have before, to the point where I really thought I was going mad (I always wondered what people meant when they said that and now I know).

Having said that, the GP put me on beta blockers for the first 2 weeks of venlafaxine and that really helped. My anxiety rose again when I stopped them but it subsided again after a couple of days. xx

chappers1980
14-02-12, 20:09
So glad you are all doing well. I still have the odd day of anxiety but i have to remember that its normal to feel anxious at times and it has nothing to do with being ill, its to do with being human !!!

xxx

pinkdove
15-02-12, 16:25
Hi guys feeling ok but still struggling a bit with low mood and low levels of anxiety.

It has been 15 days now on the 37.5 mg twice a day, i have some days which are not bad, very up and down, do you think it is still early days for me, i am hoping for good results with this xx

petram
15-02-12, 23:50
it s very normal pink dove xx 4/6 weeks for full effects iv just upped to 1 more 37.5mg tonight on top of my 75mg a day . xx so 112.mg s?? hoping it helps but doc said she may put me on capsule form of this med ??
xx take every day as it comes hun x

---------- Post added at 22:50 ---------- Previous post was at 22:48 ----------

my doc said they tend to calm u at first and the mood lifts last if that makes sence ?