PDA

View Full Version : Cervical cancer worries

wislawa
17-01-12, 16:51
Hi,

Basically I'm looking for reassurance/to see if there are any people with a similar problem to me.

At the end of November I had stomach cramps and spotting. I went to a doctor (a private clinic, as I was abroad at the time), and they gave me two ultrasound scans and took some blood. They said the scans and the blood test didn't show anything strange and that my pill (Microgynon 30) was probably the cause of the problems. After a few days the pain and spotting stopped.

But a month later the cramps and spotting came back, worse than before. My mum thought it was the pill too, so I panicked and stopped taking it. But it seems that the pill wasn't to blame - the bleeding has stopped now but the cramps haven't, almost a month later. They're a bit like period pains, including back pains. I went to the doctor today, who took a smear test.

I know that no one on here can diagnose me, but I'm really worried about the possibility of having cervical cancer, especially as I've been in pain all this time. Has anyone else experienced anything similar/know if cancer is likely? I'm only 21 but I know it's still possible. Sometimes I get urinary tract infections but that doesn't seem likely this time:( Please help!

Aillie
17-01-12, 17:50
Hi there,

I think the spotting could still be related to your pill. A month is not a long time since stopping taking it and could be down to this.

You say your worried about cervical cancer? Firstly you are aware this is highly unlikely at your age. Cervical cancer is caused by a virus ( hpv virus). A person had to be infected with this virus for a long time ( around 15 years) before it progresses to cancer. Before this happens there would be what they would call pre cancerous changes which would be removed before anything nasty develops.

I hope this is reassuring. Once you get your smear results you should be able to rest easier.

wislawa
17-01-12, 21:15
Thanks for your help... I'm just freaking out a bit because I've had this pain in my stomach for quite a while now and I don't know what else could be the cause of it:(

Now it seems I have cloudy urine and pain when I press down on my stomach... Grrr this is so frustrating:s

bettykitten
17-01-12, 23:19
Sounds like a UTI. You could have lots of things that might cause bleeding. Endometriosis, PCOS... Remember, smear tests aren't a test to diagnose cervical cancer, they are to look for dodgy cells that may turn in to cancer at a later date. Did your doctor say why they were smear testing you? And you are certain it was a smear and not just a standard vaginal swab?

---------- Post added at 23:19 ---------- Previous post was at 23:15 ----------

OK have just Googled for you (DON'T you do it!) and your doctor might be looking for cervical erosion or changes to the neck of the womb which are both harmless and treatable. It could also be hormone-related, fibroids (harmless) or a treatable STI.

So many other things that it could be!

CrazyC
19-01-12, 11:25
If you are really worried have a smear test. Demand one or trick your way into one like i did at 22 i booked it with my nurse..without even clearing it with my doctor. and Thank god i did because i was diagnosed with CIN3 was in and out of hospital had to have treatment for abnormal cells. I am now 25 and having a follow up smear test this week.

I dont mean to worry you more but if you really cant stop thinking about it have a smear. I could sense something was wrong and turnt out i was right. However i will add Cervical Cancer does take a good few years to take hold enough for it to be serious and your more than likely be alright by the time you hit 25 but still go speak to your nurse about your concerns.