PDA

View Full Version : It's time to put a stop to this!

tomuk
17-01-12, 20:22
Hi!

I'm Tom from the Southwest of England.

Been suffering with what I thought was just mood swings initially but has slowly descended into horrible bouts of anxiety, panic and occasionally depression.

I guess half of my problem just boils down to my general health, which isn't great. I'm overweight, like my beer and chew nicotine gum like they are sweets.

That said, I'm a dad to a three year old who means the world to me and am very happily married. I can get very very stressed around my boy, for example, he's started walking with us around town now - no need for a buggy. My wife seems fairly happy to let him stray a bit (she's very careful) - the moment I see him anywhere near a road I start to get panicky and worried.

Mornings are a nightmare. I like my sleep (who doesn't), and when i'm woken or jumped on by the toddler demanding his breakfast I end up being evil to him and my wife to the point where they try their best to avoid me. I snap and shout, I't's not really how I want to be treating my loved ones.

I suffer from heart palpitations on a regular basis. Horrible experience. Especially the ones you don't expect that usually lead on to severe panic attacks.

Panic attacks are fairly new to me. They usually happen at night or late evening. I've called the ambulance on more than one occasion thinkning i'm suffering from a heart attack :wacko:

I get shortness of breath, funny pins and needle type feelings in my hands, stress headaches, i can get paranoid about some of my closest friends. the list goes on.

My life is ok, I have a fairly good job - it can get stressy, but never too bad. I love my family, my mates etc.

I do get depressed, but not all that often - sometimes a cry will just ease it and I can refocus again. I do get suicidal thoughts but I also know that I would never be able to do anything like that.

Crap with money probably a factor, unhealthy - yup. My parents have just announced they are splitting up after 40 odd years! it all adds up and I want to control this.

diane07
17-01-12, 20:25
Hi tomuk

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Stormsky
17-01-12, 20:38
hi Tom, Im in south west too!
blimey you are coping with a lot at present.... firstly best to not worry about things you have no control in, like your parents... youll have to leave them to work that one out, no point in stressing yourself...
A change in diet makes a big difference with anxiety, eating healthier and less beer will make a big difference to the way you feel...
Its natural to worry about a 3yr old and your anxiety is just heightening that im afraid..
All your symptons are caused by the anxiety/panic.... try to remember this, you have an attack and THEN you panic... i dont get panic attacks anymore because i understand how they work... you cant stop an attack coming on, but you can choose how you react. . i still get an ocassional attack (where i feel heart start racing)...but i dont panic anymore, i just say yeah whatever, and it dies off... without fuel (adrenaline) the attack just dies off... its the worrying thoughts of 'what ifs' that get adrenaliine going and push you to full blown panic attack.... it is as simple as that, even though im sure your thinking if only it was......
Have you seen your GP? worth a visit if you havent to discuss it all...im not a fan of meds, but they may offer other solutions, counselling etc....:D

CONS
17-01-12, 21:27
Love your honesty, sounds like you know yourself for the most part.

Give this a bash for some inspiration:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42149

TheRealDeal1979
18-01-12, 20:17
Hi!

I'm Tom from the Southwest of England.

Been suffering with what I thought was just mood swings initially but has slowly descended into horrible bouts of anxiety, panic and occasionally depression.

I guess half of my problem just boils down to my general health, which isn't great. I'm overweight, like my beer and chew nicotine gum like they are sweets.

That said, I'm a dad to a three year old who means the world to me and am very happily married. I can get very very stressed around my boy, for example, he's started walking with us around town now - no need for a buggy. My wife seems fairly happy to let him stray a bit (she's very careful) - the moment I see him anywhere near a road I start to get panicky and worried.

Mornings are a nightmare. I like my sleep (who doesn't), and when i'm woken or jumped on by the toddler demanding his breakfast I end up being evil to him and my wife to the point where they try their best to avoid me. I snap and shout, I't's not really how I want to be treating my loved ones.

I suffer from heart palpitations on a regular basis. Horrible experience. Especially the ones you don't expect that usually lead on to severe panic attacks.

Panic attacks are fairly new to me. They usually happen at night or late evening. I've called the ambulance on more than one occasion thinkning i'm suffering from a heart attack :wacko:

I get shortness of breath, funny pins and needle type feelings in my hands, stress headaches, i can get paranoid about some of my closest friends. the list goes on.

My life is ok, I have a fairly good job - it can get stressy, but never too bad. I love my family, my mates etc.

I do get depressed, but not all that often - sometimes a cry will just ease it and I can refocus again. I do get suicidal thoughts but I also know that I would never be able to do anything like that.

Crap with money probably a factor, unhealthy - yup. My parents have just announced they are splitting up after 40 odd years! it all adds up and I want to control this.

Hey man, glad to have you here. I am also suffering from the same things you are. My name is Steve and I want you to know that you are welcomed here with a good handshake. If you need someone to talk to , I would be happy to talk with you. I hope you feel better.

lustyglaze
19-01-12, 12:09
Hi Tom

I live in Cornwall & understand your pain. I have found the books of Dr Claire Weekes very useful (Amazon). I totally agree with Stormsky, with the key to panic is letting it, run through you but do not add fear to it, and it will pass. Keep practicing this, it will not be easy but overtime your sub-conscious will realise it is no longer a threat you will desensitise to adrenaline & they will gradually reduce in power & frequency.
Eventually you will be ready for the time when you truly try to make it worse while having a panic attack - and THAT is a key moment, and will mean that you are taking back your life & control. Overtime they will completely fade away.

Hope this is of use.
John

PS good diet & excercise are greatt for self esteem & increasing your endorphine levels..the good natural hormones.

Mindful
19-01-12, 15:11
Another one in the south west here, welcome aboard x

tomuk
19-01-12, 20:38
Thanks everyone! The pins and needles (the most recent 'symptom') thing is really getting on my nerves but I know it will go. I will have a look around and read some of the advice posts. Great to know I'm not alone!

magnesium
19-01-12, 23:33
Hi Tomuk

Im not a doctor but how long have you been on the gum? Were you anxious before you started the gum? Im not sure if nicotine can cause anxiety but it may make it worse.

If it was to give up cigarettes then its even possible that you are now taking in more nicotine now then you were when smoking?

Hassaan

venusbluejeans
20-01-12, 11:21
Hiya and welcome to NMP:welcome:

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes: