PDA

View Full Version : Sleep apnea or anxiety, or both? waking up gasping for breath

LucyLiz
17-01-12, 20:57
Hey all. I've had this annoying thing where upon falling asleep I suddenly feel like i'm not taking any air in and have a pressure on my chest. I'll wake up gasping for breath and heart racing. This was happening on and off for a few weeks but now it happens every night before falling asleep, at least 6 or 7 times. Once i'm asleep deeply I can get a decent night. I am under a lot of stress with work at the moment but I'd say my anxiety levels have been pretty good with other symptoms decreasing. This has got me right back down again as I've started to worry about sleep apnea as this is obviously a major symptom. I'm only 26. Hoping someone can share their thoughts on this. Appreciate you taking the time to read.

blondinou
17-01-12, 21:10
Hi LucyLiz,

I have had exactly this feeling quite a few times. Just dropping off to sleep, then suddenly woken by an intense feeling in the chest and a feeling like you temporarily stopped breathing. I can get this even if I don't feel that stressed at bedtime. But I think it is anxiety-related because if I'm having a better few months anxiety-wise I don't get the sudden waking like this.

Try not to worry about sleep apnoea, for these reasons:
1. Nearly every single patient with sleep apnoea has it because they are really overweight. This is practically the only cause of sleep apnoea. Assuming you're not really overweight this should be reassuring?
2. People with sleep apnoea have really really loud snoring because what's happening is their airway being too floppy and relaxed - snoring and sleep apnoea are at opposite ends of spectrum of floppy airways! So people often complain to them about their terrible snoring. Again this probably isn't something you have?
3. A lot of people with sleep apnoea don't realise they have it because it happens right in the middle of the night when they're deeply asleep, not at the beginning of the night in light sleep like us, and it doesn't wake them up enough to remember it. Usually they only know cos their bed partner has mentioned it!
3. Sleep apnoea never killed anyone, as your body wakes you up just enough so you change position or turn over or open your airway a little bit more. Your body wouldn't let you suffocate in your sleep without waking up.

Hope that helps you! As I said, I've had exactly this experience so you're not alone in feeling it.

CONS
17-01-12, 21:23
Unless you are extremely overweight and need a mask to get oxygen when you sleep I wouldnt worry.

Could be your waking up at the exact moment you fall asleep, could also be your hitting skipping beats, either way your fine, its just uncomfotable to go through.

LucyLiz
17-01-12, 23:26
Thanks both for that. It was very reassuring. My head does say anxiety but you know how consulting Dr Google likes to screw things up... I will see how it goes.

robinbrum
18-01-12, 02:36
It's not neccesarily sleep apnea but just our good old friend anxiety demanding your attention even when you sleep. I know because I have suffered with this chronically in the past and sleep paralysis which is even worse because it feels like you can not wake yourself up. But like others have said, it will definitely not kill you. Just think of it as an irritation and I'm sure it will get better.
I hardly ever have these disturbances any more although the quality of my sleep is still very erratic. I would say it becomes easier the older you get.

Dreamalittledream
19-01-12, 11:18
I have had similar but they were when I was deeply asleep, (as has my husband) and while not a huge problem, it was simply asthma.

In my case it happened mostly when I was super anxious (or tight chested from a cold or similar) and at my heaviest. Apparently the ones I used to have were scary but once I am awake an inhaler sorts it. Hubby's werent as bad but he also suffers less from asthma than me. Plus he is a lot lighter so we know it is unlikely to be apnea!

Oh and no we are not talking asthma attacks, neither of us are major asthmatics.

So even if it were caused by asthma you are not looking at anything more than an inhaler which may reduce them - both of us have inhalers so a small puff and relax and we are back to sleep.

It wouldnt hurt to ask next time you are at the GP's but like others have said it is not likely that it is going to kill you!