PDA

View Full Version : Obsessive thoughts

JM9258
18-01-12, 02:15
Hey just making a quick post, lately been suffering from anxiety and obsessive thoughts that are frightening, weird and just bizarre. Just before Christmas this nearly caused me to have a panic attack in a car park when I was buying gifts for family members, I can remember feeling really weird, having palpitations, feeling sick, racing thoughts, not being able to catch my breathe and panicking feeling like I was about to die or pass out, I just wanted to know what kind of intrusive thoughts others get too? They might be of a violent and/or sexual nature or pretty much just about anything.

alps
18-01-12, 07:41
Just about anything - I bought trousers for myself last week and now I have obsessive thoughts about me looking very slim - just cant stop thinking about it. This is not it, I have had very weired and irrational obsessions in the past. I also get intrusive thoughts, which are like images which lasts for a fraction of seconds, and they are quite weired too.

clc
18-01-12, 09:12
I do! They can last days to weeks. My current one is the fear I might go mad and kill myself. Whereas as couple months ago I was paranoid I had heart problems. My therapist says they are common. Just remember your thoughts aren't your beliefs. If you look in the OCD section there are loads of threads on it. It's a type of OCD.

Stormsky
18-01-12, 10:49
hi
yes ive had thoughts i might harm, me , my pets, my family....horrible, made me sick... but its because we are gentle natured people, that the thoughts we get are the exact opposite of what we are like...which is why they shock us and upset us so much, because we would never do anything like it....

mmb
18-01-12, 11:03
Hi,
My obsessive thoughts are mainly about going mad and losing control, not being able to relate to my family, feeling quite detached sometimes... have to snap myself out of it but it's very hard... also heard from my doctor that it's "normal" but it doesn't make it less scary...

cluesforblues
18-01-12, 18:22
Mine are always health related whether me or a family member . I dont worry about dieing I worry about leaving my wife and kids to cope without me.

clc
18-01-12, 19:04
I know it's easy for them to say its 'normal' what I would like is for them to say they can fix it!

Patrick Michael
19-01-12, 06:27
Obsessional Thoughts ? Yes - about my ex. Nothing violent, just utter shock and disbelief that a woman I loved (and whose child I loved) could treat me in such a shabby manner. I think then of events outside my control and in the 12 months that follwed the break up, when I knew I needed support and was in too much shock to ask for help,and dealt with those things on my own.

Ultimately those events were dealt with, although 2 years on, one is a continuing source of annoyance ( work related ) and I relaise,that whilst i was there for her, she was never there for me.

It makes me quietly proud that those major events outside the relationship I managed alone. It has had a consequence. Its left me extremely anxious and at tiumes depressed. I do not think I am depressed now, but I am anxious. I have come a long way - and I think I am now starting to open up in a positive way and seek that help - professional and from friends that will allow me to move forward with my life.

Still, though when I feel low, and introspective, ytes I do get introspective and ruminate about my ex. I'm working on it.

Good luck.

Patrick