PDA

View Full Version : Why do I do this to myself-liver concerns-help!

beth0277
18-01-12, 19:18
I don't know why I do this to myself. About 18 months ago I had an abdominal ultrasound that was okay other than it showed "mild fatty infiltrate" of my liver. My GP wasn't concerned and at the time my HA was under control so neither was I. Well, I have my HA flair up a few months ago and this pops back into my head and I worry myself sick. I have always had normal liver enzymes, never had any abnormal readings. I went for another ultrasound at the ER and this time it said everything with my liver was normal. I asked my GP about it (I know fatty liver is reversible and can be caused by things like rapid weight loss, which I had around the time of the first ultrasound) and she said my liver is normal so there is no reason to worry any longer.

Now I am freaking out again after being okay for a few months about it thinking that because this ultrasound was at the ER (though it was done in the normal ultrasound room and not with a mobile device or anything like that) I am thinking that the results are wrong or the radiologist saw fatty liver but "not enough" to put it on the ultrasound report. I am worrying myself sick over this.

I have had a lot of upper right quadrant pain that comes and goes and I honestly think my anxiety fuels it because as soon as I stopped worrying about my liver, it went away. I think it may be caused by endometriosis because it seems cyclical. I am just worrying myself sick.

Do you think it is possible that the ultrasound at the ER was wrong or not thorough enough? It seemed like a normal ultrasound to me, they took tons of pictures and I was in there at least 15-20 minutes.

Why do I do this to myself?

---------- Post added at 14:18 ---------- Previous post was at 14:02 ----------

Oh, and for the record, the ultrasound that I went for was an entire abdominal ultrasound, not just of my liver so I worry that they didn't pay enough attention to it. :(

bettykitten
18-01-12, 19:42
Do you suffer with acid reflux? I only ask because I get a niggly pain under my right-hand rib. My Doctor says it is acid reflux/indigestion related and I believe that, having Googled "right hand upper abdo pain acid reflux" and seeing the results!

Could be very simple: GERD, reflux, gallstones... If anything was untoward with your liver they would have seen it. I am sure.

beth0277
18-01-12, 20:39
I do have acid reflux. I didn't know there was a connection...off to Google!

bettykitten
18-01-12, 20:47
It is your acid reflux, I would bet on it.

Can you describe the pain to me? Is it not unbearable, but a niggly/annoying type of pain rather than a painful stabby/gripey pain? Is it intermittent i.e does it come and go? Do you also know that acid reflux can flare up with anxiety so if you are worrying about your liver, your reflux will flare up... and you will think it's your liver!

Oh what a web we weave for ourselves! :D

beth0277
18-01-12, 21:57
Yes, what a web we weave. It is not an intense pain, by any means. It is more of an annoying dull thing that stays for a few days (or maybe a day or so) and then goes away for a week or two.

miss_t
18-01-12, 22:04
My friends son had a fatty liver show up on an ultrasound that he had done for other stomach issues. He's 10. His enzymes were raised too. He is fine.

If your enzymes are normal I really wouldn't worry. Apparently lots of people have fatty liver and have no symptoms nor complications from it.