PDA

View Full Version : Another new girl

Di
13-06-06, 19:24
Hi just found this great site today and I've not been able to stop reading all your posts, at least I know I'm not alone.

I was born with a fairly mild form of Spinabifida, had an operation when i was 2 and apart from having one foot size 1 and a half which is partially paralyzed and the other a size 3 which is fine I've managed walking pretty well, however I find that I get real anxiety attacks and panic when I go out on my own.

I've been like it on and off for years, sometimes it goes away just when I'm not expecting it, but been like it for 12 months or so this time. I hate walking to work, I do it but feel everyone watching me, in particular the way I walk (my husband didn't even notice my limp when we first met) if I see a group of people when I'm walking I very often stop and pretend to find something in my bag until they go by because I don't want them watching me.

I even imagine my neighbors are looking out the window when I leave home every day watching me cross the road and saying 'there she goes again'. As if they've got nothing better to do than watch me every morning lol. I've put on weight and feel they've noticed that too, why do I worry so much about what people think of me?

I've been avoiding walking to town, I get worried that I'm going to have a fall, I have had a few falls, nothing serious but the foot that doesn't have a lot of feeling in tends to catch the pavement sometimes and I trip up. Of course this makes me even more anxious and sometimes my foot goes into a sort of spasm and twists, it will only go back when I relax.

When I'm feeling really anxious I get the light headidness shakey and lose my balance. I do nervous going to parties and meeting people although I'm not really shy, I love having fun, but happier with people I know, I still go to parties and meals out though because once I'm there I'm ok as long as I'm sitting, I start to sway a bit if I'm anxious until I relax with a glass or two then I'm fine, even the balance problem improves then lol.

Strangely enough although I hate this problem and desperately want to get better I'm not feeling depressed, other than this I've got lots of great things going on in my life, the best one is I'm going to be a granny in August so really want to be able to go out and push the pram. At least I'll have something to cling on to, bit like the shopping trolley at the supermarket.

Sorry this is so long, I only intended to say hi.

Look forward to getting to know you all.

Di

Daisybun
13-06-06, 19:39
Hi Di and welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of help and support here. Its amazing how our thoughts and imagination can trick us isn't it. Congratulations on being a granny, what a thrill.

Take care
Daisybun

'This too will pass'

EmmaJane
13-06-06, 19:50
Hi Di,

Congratulations on becoming a granny, that will be lovely for you.

Regarding, worrying what people think of you, is a hang up of mine. I always think people are judging me or im not good enough. My weight is a problem to me, and I think it affects people liking me.

Although I know Im a nice person (big headed or what):D. I dont think others do.

As far as Im concerned on judging other people, it doesnt matter what you look like, sound like etc etc, to be a nice person. Your husband obviously loves you and you have a grandchild who will also love you for who you are in August aswell.

When you go out, go out proud and holding your head high. Maybe say hello to people even if you do feel self conscious.

Good luck

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.

giddy
13-06-06, 22:04
Welcome to the forum Di
Love Helen

Borntoworry
13-06-06, 22:28
Hi Di

Im just finding my way about too.

Amanda

trac67
14-06-06, 09:46
Hi Di,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

hayles
14-06-06, 11:26
A big welcome to you Di

Hay x

chucklehound
14-06-06, 13:00
Hi Di, welcome to NMP

Nicki22
14-06-06, 13:30
hi and welcome to the forum
You will find lots of help and support here
this is a great site x

Di
14-06-06, 19:11
Thanks very much for your welcomes everyone.

Di x

Di
14-06-06, 19:57
Went for my physio today and sure enough got myself all worked up and anxious before I got there, even though I had a lift to the door. To get to the physio you have to walk up a long corridor, I was fine walking until I noticed someone sat waiting and he looked (just to see who was coming) I felt self conscious and my bad foot went into a sort of nervous spasm and twisted and I had to grab hold of the hand rail. I smiled and said something like good job the rail was there.

Anyway when I saw the physio i explained to her what had happened and I said that I thought a lot of my problems where due to anxiety, she agreed and said it was quite common and that because when I was born there was damage to the nerve in my leg, when I'm anxious this is how it effects me and that 90% of falls were due to people being anxious about falling. I was pleased with myself for telling her, I tend to bottle it up and try and cope on my own. Next time I go to the doctors maybe I'll be brave enough to tell her too.

Been feeling quite stressed the rest of the day, head ache, neck ache and vision bit blurry, think i need a hot bath. Already thinking about going out tomorrow and how I'm going to feel, I know I need to get rid of the negative thoughts. Ordered Feel the Fear from Amazon and arrived today so I need to get reading.

Di x

Paddington
15-06-06, 10:42
hello Di,well done 4 telling the physio,next job tell the dr![oh welcome by the way!]we on here share so mant symtoms Di.I am the same about the people looking,i assume i am being judged or laughed at!!??I too have a weight issue,have red hair too[ooer recipe for disaster lol]be careful it doesnt turn intofull blown social anxiety as you are already worrying about tomorrow!I f you speak to tour dr there is help to be had with therapies and counceling etc,and of course there is here!We are all with you Di.Many congrats on the impending grannydom[lol]love mary-rose.xxxxxxxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

nomorepanic
15-06-06, 18:54
Di

A warm welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Nicola

dream
15-06-06, 20:43
Hi Di
welcome to this site
take care denisexxx

denise

Di
15-06-06, 21:49
Thanks again for all your replies, had a better day today, just keep telling myself I can do it!

Di x

EmmaJane
15-06-06, 21:51
Well done Di, keep those positive thoughts

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.