PDA

View Full Version : Please remember the chatroom is a public space.

MandyGM
19-01-12, 17:18
I've gone into the chatroom this afternoon, and once again, the conversation has been pretty explicit. I'm not a prude by any means, but it's not what I'm particularly interested in talking about when I come into chat here. I know some other people who aren't using the chatroom as much due to this.

Please give some thought.to what you are discussing as the room is open to people from age 13. I think if you want to discuss more adult topics, maybe use msn or something, and give a thought to others who like to use the chatroom?

Thanks

mallan82450
19-01-12, 17:28
What have people been chatting about? Ive never noticed this before, I have to say.

mikewales
19-01-12, 18:13
Admin are looking into this now, and will take action against anyone breaking chat room rules

t0rt01se36
20-01-12, 10:42
I am very sorry for the rudeness from myself in the chatroom. I will think before I type from now on.

saro
20-01-12, 12:26
Hey,

Ok I know this will be me because I was getting a little OTT in there yesturday. I just think that in life sometimes we all go abit too far when we enjoy banter.. its fun.. its a laugh.. it makes us smile and keeps us going. If we cant laugh what can we do??

I understand that it may offend others and my get inappropriate but no one ever mentioned in chat at the time, if they had we would have calmed down a little or took it to msn, of course, we arent inconsiderate we were just enjoying a laugh for once.

Dnvgraphics2k12
20-01-12, 12:39
Hey,

Ok I know this will be me because I was getting a little OTT in there yesturday. I just think that in life sometimes we all go abit too far when we enjoy banter.. its fun.. its a laugh.. it makes us smile and keeps us going. If we cant laugh what can we do??

I understand that it may offend others and my get inappropriate but no one ever mentioned in chat at the time, if they had we would have calmed down a little or took it to msn, of course, we arent inconsiderate we were just enjoying a laugh for once.

+1

MandyGM
20-01-12, 12:49
It's fine, I am obviously the one with the problem in that case. Like I said, I like a laugh as much as anybody , I just found the chat yesterday afternoon offensive and inappropriate. My bad, I have nothing more to say on the subject

mikewales
20-01-12, 12:51
All people need to do is to read the T&C's they agree to every time they login to the room. Swearing isn't allowed ( and we look dimly on people trying to circumvent the swear filter by splitting words etc... ) and nor are explicit conversations.

There are plenty of other things like facebook chat, MSN, skype etc... if people want to swear or talk about whatever they want, but the chat room does have rules, and we expect members to stick to them, regardless of if there are mods or admin in the room at the time.

london
20-01-12, 13:44
did you say any thing in room at the time or did you let it go on
god bless

FroggyPrince
20-01-12, 14:01
To me personally, if a conversation is too explicit or vulgar for pre-watershed television (i.e. before 9pm), then it is probably unsuitable for chat.

If you follow this rule, you won't go far wrong. :)

Jaco45er
20-01-12, 14:21
Unless it's on channel 5 froggy, that channel is mental no matter what time it is ;)

saro
20-01-12, 14:25
All im saying is I can see where u are coming from and I know the rules.. but sometimes we all have a laugh and it goes to far.. everyone breaks these boundaries.. every single one of us and if someone had said told us cool it we would have.. we respect others but we also like to laugh

f0rest
20-01-12, 14:29
its all a bit of banter but i guess sometimes it can get a little out of hand aswell, if i offended anyone id like to apologise :)

eight days a week
20-01-12, 14:35
everyone breaks these boundaries.. every single one of us

No, we really don't.

saro
20-01-12, 14:36
thats probably because u arent in there often enough

MandyGM
20-01-12, 14:38
did you say any thing in room at the time or did you let it go on
god bless

Like I said , obviously my bad for being offended. No, I didn't say anything in the chatroom, funnily enough, I suffer from anx and find confrontation difficult, yes, even online. The point is, I shouldn't have had to say anything as the subject was inappropriate. All I was asking was for people to think about what they are discussing and whether it's appropriate to continue with a conversation when others join the room, bearing in mind that it is an open room.

saro
20-01-12, 14:45
No Mandy.. I apprechiate that it was inappropriate and that it its affected you.. I just wish you could have told me at the time.. I would have stopped for a second and thought about it.. we all need that reminder sometimes. Im sorry. :hugs:

peterjones
20-01-12, 14:47
Can I just say, whilst we are on the subject of the chat room. I have only been in 4 times, but have never had a very nice welcome. Infact I have felt ignored. Only the odd person has greeted me. The conversation just carried on as if I wasn,t in the room. One time it was smutty too.

moirascott
20-01-12, 14:51
Like I said , obviously my bad for being offended. No, I didn't say anything in the chatroom, funnily enough, I suffer from anx and find confrontation difficult, yes, even online. The point is, I shouldn't have had to say anything as the subject was inappropriate. All I was asking was for people to think about what they are discussing and whether it's appropriate to continue with a conversation when others join the room, bearing in mind that it is an open room.

I just thought I would add the this thread but being fairly new I know I'm sticking my neck on the line.

I have visited the chat room, well perhaps I can count on one hand. This is for several reasons, ie Im new, I wont have anything interesting to say and also whichever forum you join older members have a certain clique.

I can see this from both sides and it is not like being in the same room together, people can take chat the wrong way and we are all strangers to each other and do not know when we are overstepping the mark, something may be acceptable to certain members and not to others.

I would have perhaps emailed the administrators rather than posting on the forum because we can all see what a can of worms this has opened.

Please all be nice to each other, read the T & C's and think before you type because what you may find funny, may actually upset another member.

I would just like to add when I have visited the chat room it has always been very welcoming.

Moira

peterjones
20-01-12, 15:05
I have just been in chat. Not only did only 2 people say hello out of 9 but the chat is extremely smutty. I thought this was a mental health help site. Not a sex chat room.

Cjo20
20-01-12, 15:16
I have just been in chat. Not only did only 2 people say hello out of 9 but the chat is extremely smutty. I thought this was a mental health help site. Not a sex chat room.

I can't comment about the level of smut, as I wasn't there. But I do know from experience with other chatrooms that people who are new / haven't been around long sometimes want to sit and lurk and can actually be scared off by suddenly feeling that they are the center of attention. I would have thought this would have been even more of a potential issue on a site about anxiety! I re-joined that chatroom after a long long break, and found that after saying hello to people and starting / getting involved in discussions people are far more likely to greet you etc. as they start to recognise you, rather than just being an anonymous person they know nothing about.

london
20-01-12, 15:19
but did you say hi to people peter
god bless

peterjones
20-01-12, 15:23
Yes. I said hello as soon as i went in the room then hello everyone.

Jacsta
20-01-12, 15:52
i am in cat at the moment, and thinking back i dont think i said hi to yo peter, i apoligise for this, many times when i am in cat i am doing other things alongside therefore only glance fr responses to a convo im having with someone, it wasnt intended rudeness, just scatter brainess really.

mandy, i agree that sometimes the conversation can go a little too far. A lot of the time it is hard to gage what general mood th room is in, sometimes the balance between those having wobbly days to those having good days differs therefore the tone of conversation differs. i don really know what the answer is, apart from everyone thinking about how this post came about, and how we can prevent people from going to far or feeling uncomfortable in he future.

love to all

MandyGM
20-01-12, 16:45
That's all I was trying to do, jac :) Thanks for your apologies guys, this wasn't supposed to open a can of worms, and I do appreciate that no one was out to cause offence. xxx

bottleblond
20-01-12, 16:52
Please don't let this break out into an argument folks.

Complaint was made and apologies were made so let's leave it at that for now.

Danath
20-01-12, 17:05
There is frequently insulting behaviour, smut and sexism in the chat room, and as for 'oh just tell us to stop'.having asked politely more than once for people to be considerate I have been told where to go. The usual excuse is 'oooh we don't want to talk about depression ALL the time it makes us depressed!' Well sure thats fine but lets not forget the original purpose of the chat room'

mallan82450
20-01-12, 17:30
Well said bottle blond!

mikewales
20-01-12, 17:44
If any members are offended or upset by chat in the room, or language etc.. you don't need to confront the members directly, just send a PM to a member of staff and it will be looked into.

To remind members ALL chat logs are saved so we can look at them in the event of a complaint, so we can go back and see exactly what was said and by who, and we do take action against members who break the rules.

It isn't a question of what YOU personally think is accceptable, it is sticking to the rules of the room.

london
20-01-12, 17:48
Please don't let this break out into an argument folks.

Complaint was made and apologies were made so let's leave it at that for now.

100% best thinking
god bless

MandyGM
20-01-12, 20:22
There is frequently insulting behaviour, smut and sexism in the chat room, and as for 'oh just tell us to stop'.having asked politely more than once for people to be considerate I have been told where to go. The usual excuse is 'oooh we don't want to talk about depression ALL the time it makes us depressed!' Well sure thats fine but lets put offhtechat room by this postforget the original purpose of the chat room'

I'm sorry you have feltlike this- the chat room can,and has been. for me, afantastic support. Please feel free to PM me if you would like tochat and don't be put off the chatroom by thispost - I was maybe bein too fragile yesterday,but there is alot of help and there are a lot of friends to bemadethere xxx

bottleblond
20-01-12, 21:51
I apologise for Mandy's space bar as it is poorly :roflmao: