PDA

View Full Version : Food poisoning - will I get it??

miss_t
19-01-12, 19:00
Ok, had my tea and am now worrying it will make me ill :(

I brought fresh pork mince this afternoon - looked and smelled fine. Made chilli con carne for mr and my daughter. She ate hers as soon as it was done. I left it on the hob to cool down before putting it in the fridge.

Decided I wanted to eat at 6 (2 hours after my daughter) and it was still warm so heated it back up. It was piping hot when I ate it.

Now panicking that I might not have heated it long enough - 2.5 minutes as I had the microwave on

If it wasn't heated long enough - even though it was really hot, not just warm - will it make me ill?

Panicking of London!

Wuboo
19-01-12, 19:52
Sounds fine to me and I have done the exact same thing before as you before so don't worry!

I have had food poising before through an uncooked lasagne and became ill pretty quickly within a couple of hours.

Carys
19-01-12, 19:59
No you won't get ill. The chilli did not have time in 2 hours to develop/grow bacteria, besides you cooked it thorougly the first time and then heated it to piping hot the second time.....so anything was double killed LOL ! I am not a meat-eater, so when I make meat dishes for my husband I make double quantities and re-heat most things the next day...never poisoned him. :winks:

miss_t
19-01-12, 20:18
Thanks for your replies - the reassurance is most welcome!

I know it's silly to worry, but as an emetophobe it's something I worry about a lot :/

I'm now doubting myself as to wether I did reheat it properly......... God, I need to get a grip!

Carys
19-01-12, 21:01
Yeah, but even if you didn't heat it 'enough' the second time it was still fine from the first time of cooking. I presume it was left out covered ? Nothing bacteria-wise can appear and grow on cooked meat in that time frame, honestly.

miss_t
19-01-12, 21:55
Thanks Carys - yes, it was covered, still in the pot

haz
19-01-12, 21:59
I'm emetophobic as well and that's why I don't freeze food!!

Food poisoning usually occurs around 3 hours after eating the food, so judging by the time of your post, you'll be fine. :)