PDA

View Full Version : the more we know the more we fear...

blondinou
19-01-12, 20:59
Ignorance is bliss!! I wish I was someone who didn't know much about health and didn't give it a second thought. A lot of people just go happily through life not thinking about these things, not worrying when they get a weird sensation or fleeting pain, and are just able to dismiss it. Don't you just wish you were one of those?!

As a medical student I have diagnosed myself with dozens of serious conditions over the course of my time at medical school... As soon as I forget about one disease I start to fear another... I have over the past 18 months or so been convinced I have: phaeochromocytoma, SVT, brain tumour, laryngeal oedema, lupus, CSF rhinorrhoea (brain fluid leaking out your nose!), cervical cancer, berry aneurysm, TB, factor V Leiden, idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, DVT and PE (clot on the lung), anaemia due to cancer, acanthosis nigricans (skin discolouration that can be a sign of cancer), Hodgkin's lymphoma, diabetes and last but not least pregnancy... I think that's about it!! Apparently 'medical student syndrome' or 'medical student hypochondriasis' is a well known phenomenon haha. So if that isn't a cautionary tale for everyone to stop Googling their symptoms I don't know what is.

The best thing that helped me start to overcome my panic attacks was to stop feeling my pulse. Every time I felt a symptom my fingers would leap to my pulse to check my heart was ok. Every time I did that it was reaffirming there was something wrong and I needed to find out more, it put too much significance on that symptom. Then I decided to stop, and each time I resisted feeling my pulse, I was saying to myself, "nope, I don't need to do anything about this symptom, it's not significant, i don't need to go through the 'what if' routine, I'm just going to let it pass!" We could spend all day analysing every single symptom/sensation we get and looking up all the details and possible explanations, but what does that achieve? I haven't really managed to stop doing it yet!!

stressyanxious
19-01-12, 21:06
Hi,
I know exactly how you feel. Since last August I have diagnosed myself without about half of the diseases on the planet! Its ridiculous.
And only one of them I actually have - health anxiety :P
I know its hard and us hypochondriacs are always self checking but we have to somehow learn to ingore the symptoms. Even if they are bothering us!

All the best,
Nadia. :)

Carys
19-01-12, 21:06
You poor thing, being a medical student with HA must be a nightmare !!!

Apparently 'medical student syndrome' or 'medical student hypochondriasis' is a well known phenomenon haha. So if that isn't a cautionary tale for everyone to stop Googling their symptoms I don't know what is.

Too true :roflmao:

blondinou
19-01-12, 21:10
Yep glad you both agree :-D The problem with trying to ignore symptoms is there's always that voice in the back of your mind going "Yes but what if this time it really is something serious and you're getting it confused with your health anxiety?!" It goes round and round getting more and more confusing!!

Thank you Carys :-D There is hope though because I have also heard that 'medical student syndrome' tends to go away when you become a doctor cos the experience helps you realise what's serious and what isn't. Fingers crossed!

Carys
19-01-12, 21:18
Well that sounds encouraging for you; so if everyone with HA was to qualify as a doctor then HA could be cured ! :winks:

Tell me, do you fear catching things from people when you are in a hospital environment ? I have done lots of hospital visiting this year to a variety of wards/hospitals, including icu for a number of weeks and I am always worried that I can catch something. If someone coughs near me I am holding my breath LOL

Saying that, a bit of paranoia doesn't go amiss nowadays in hospitals with regards to cleanliness, at least I am washing my hands loads and using alcohol gel regularly and many people should be far more worried than they are about not doing either.

Dreamalittledream
19-01-12, 21:28
I know the feeling, I have spent my life around hospitals (heck even worked with hospital units) and always had a phobia of veins but coped until I developed HA about a year ago. Luckily I can't even have my pulse taken without just about puking as the thought of someone touching my veins makes me faint!

I was fine four years ago when hubby developed side effects from a drug he had just been put on, and he is one of those "if there is a weird unusual side effect- he'll get it". I said from the outset after checking the new drugs he was on what it was and sure enough it was.

I actually think the turning point was when my husband found a lump (scanned etc but damn scary), it followed within three months of my father dying from a undiagnosed tumour on his kidney and a friend suiciding despite not knowing he was depressed and me having an operation.

Previously knowing information about what was going on helped me...but now unfortunately my HA doesnt just apply to me, sometimes it focuses on others! Probably because I have spent so much time trying to understand hubby's medical condition so I didnt over react (I know, the irony!)

screwpanic
19-01-12, 21:29
I feel your pain I work in icu and see the extremes of everything it's little wonder I worry constantly when I leave after each shift! Just have to keep remembering it's only a tiny percentage of our population that sadly end up critically ill, we have to live for the day, no point dwelling on what may happen.

blondinou
19-01-12, 21:34
Haha yeah I know what you mean but funnily enough I don't fear catching things from patients. Maybe I should..! But because none of the doctors or nurses seem that bothered for their own risk of infection, I guess that's rubbed off on me. I kind of see it as an advantage to be exposed to all the bugs, I am building up an immune system of steel!! Also most of the people I see with infections have got them because they are frail or elderly or sick already, not healthy people who get struck down suddenly.

---------- Post added at 21:34 ---------- Previous post was at 21:31 ----------

Screwpanic - yeah working in hospitals means we are surrounded by terribly sick people all the time, especially on ITU for you... So it gives us the impression that the whole world is in so much danger of disease... But really we have to try and remember that everyone else out there is nice and healthy and we have to think outside the illness box, just like you said!

screwpanic
19-01-12, 22:04
indeed i think HA is a real risk for health care professionals who work "in the box" for long periods. i qualified 11 years ago and have been in icu for 6 so switching off is not easy sometimes especially if you know what your going back to the next day :(

Carys
19-01-12, 22:29
I have absolute admiration for you being an icu nurse. It is the most amazing vocation that people have, to do that type of work. My Dad has been in icu in two hospitals, a number if times in the last 12 months and the staff, without exception, have been fantastic...the most wonderful people. :yesyes: