PDA

View Full Version : Hello All

Molly
13-06-06, 20:56
Hi there, my name is Claire and tonight is my first visit to your site.

I was diagnosed with 'acute anxiety' last year - after thinking that I was epileptic for the previous 10 years...it seems that my GP and neurologist couldn't tell the difference as my panic attacks look rather like 'grand mal' epileptic seizures - following severe visual disturbances I hold my breath until my head starts jerking and eventually I pass out.

It only used to happen in the first few minutes I was awake - usually if I hadn't had enough sleep and was worried about being late for something ie exams, days out etc. I used to think there was a link with consumption of alcohol, and my neurologist felt that this may be the case - but now I think it was the caffeine in the vodka and coke that did it as I am fully capable of a panic attack now and I have been teetotal for the last 8 years !!

Last year I had a big panic attack but did not pass out as I normally would - unfortunately as a result my heart rate stayed elevated for 2 weeks during which time I was sensitive to light and couldn't focus properly - it was a very scary experience. It was following this that I was properly diagnosed for the first time - and now I have been trying to learn to relax properly and above all to get some breath control !

Anyway, enough about me...hope all the above doesn't sound too rambling !

EmmaJane
13-06-06, 20:59
Hi Claire, welcome to the site

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.

Daisybun
13-06-06, 21:27
Hi Claire, you've been through a lot!! Welcome to the site, glad you could join us. there's lots of support and help here. Relaxation is good, I'm doing that at the moment and it's really helping. Understanding what is happening to you is half the battle.

Take care
Daisybun

'This too will pass'

nomorepanic
13-06-06, 21:35
Hi Claire and welcome aboard.

I have sent you some links on your other post about fainting.

Hope we can be of some help here.

Nicola

Molly
13-06-06, 21:59
Thanks for the links Nicola, didn't realise it was such a controversial topic when I asked the question !
The funny thing is that unlike most people here I don't fear fainting at all, I fear the visual disturbances much more as they are so unpleasant - to the extent that when I am having an attack I would rather faint than have it continue, at least then it is over with!

giddy
13-06-06, 22:04
Welcome to the site Claire
Love Helen

trac67
14-06-06, 09:57
Hi Claire,

Welcome to the forum you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care
Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

hayles
14-06-06, 11:24
a very warm welcome

Hay x

chucklehound
14-06-06, 13:02
Hi and welcome to NMP

Nicki22
14-06-06, 13:28
Hi there x
welcome to the forum
feel free to pm if if you need to talk xx

Paddington
15-06-06, 10:48
hello there,aren't the medical proffessionals just great hey!!!???I cant believe you went all that time with the wrong diagnosis?Well now you do know,you can start to get better!You have come to the right place,good to have you here.love mary-rose.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore