PDA

View Full Version : Apparently a common fear with GAD

clc
20-01-12, 07:38
I have read that people with GAD have a fear that they could end up suicidal. I have this fear does anyone have/had this fear? It's driving me nuts as I say to myself I don't want to die but what if I wake up tomorrow and do? It scares me that we can die so easily! I look out the window and think how easy it would be to jump out. What if I get an impulse?

My therapist said its common so I'll put it to the test!

Thanks,

Carys
20-01-12, 07:41
Really, really, really common ! Your therapist is right. I have had this fear many times during my life, but I disregard it now as it has popped up in my head to worry me too often to be unusual and frightening. :winks:

clc
20-01-12, 07:47
Thanks Carys! That's what I'm hoping that soon I'll be like well Ive had this thought ages and I haven't done it so go away!!

nicola1980
20-01-12, 08:09
Hi my councillor says its common too but SSRI's can heighten suicidal thoughts so if you get them you should see your doctor asap x x

clc
20-01-12, 08:54
I went on the meds cos I had them so I know it's the anxiety not the meds. There not thoughts as such because I'm scared of dying and I feel scared when I think about it because I like my life!

---------- Post added at 08:54 ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 ----------

But I will mention it to doctor cos I'm seeing him today.

Carys
20-01-12, 09:13
What you are having are invasive thoughts, if you look them up on this site you will find stacks to read about them. The 'I might kill myself' is a really common one, and it is those people who are scared of dying/killing themselves and 'losing control' that have them. Honestly, it is nothing more than a fear, distressing as that fear is, it won't actually happen.

theharvestmouse
20-01-12, 10:17
I've had this, I had it before the meds and also since being on Citalopram. It was a fear that I had slipped into a feeling that it was inevitable that I would try to kill myself at some point. However I have learned to think about the wider picture at that moment and it seems to help me get over the thoughts.

---------- Post added at 10:17 ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 ----------

At my lowest point the only thing that stopped me was knowing how it would destroy my parents and siblings. I told my therapist that it was more a feeling of wishing I had never been born rather than I want to kill myself.

clc
20-01-12, 10:28
Yeh thats it harvest mouse! I still want to be born and enjoy life though im just scared that I might one day give up almost. It doesn't help I know two people who have jumped infront of trains. I know there circumstances were completely different (they had bad things going on in their lives and had other mental illnesses) but I fear what if I end up feeling that!

I actually feel embarrassed for worrying about it because it is so stupid! And even if I did ever feel like that I couldn't do it to my loved ones so I don't know why I worry.

Good to know its more common than I thought. Thanks for the input. Wish we could obsess over cute kittens and bunnies etc!!

Scared_11
21-01-12, 12:00
Hi clc,

As you know I have been there. It's a horrible horrible worry and very confusing.

I am over that fear now, it come back now and then but I am able to recognise it and disregard it. It does seem to be a common fear and I wish I knew that when I was at my worst because I felt so alone.

I think I have GAD because my fears just move from one to the other and it's exhausting. I feel ok with that at the minute tho because I have been like this all my life and I think I am just used to it. It's like I like to worry. If I am feeling super happy I feel like I need to find something to worry about.