PDA

View Full Version : cipralex

joy
20-01-12, 12:31
There are not many posts on cipralex, people seem to get muddled up with Citalopram.

I would be grateful for some imput as I dont seem to be getting any better on cipralex

Joy

OxfordDan
21-01-12, 12:20
Hi Joy,

Ive been on 10mg Cipralex for almost 3 weeks now. I had tried Citalopram twice and fluoxetine once throughout last year and had horrible side effects from them all hence the change to cipralex/escitalopram.
I can say that the side effects are alot milder but I still got the heightened anxiety and very low depressed mood that Cit gave me in the first 2 weeks but it seems to slowly be settling down now.
Im hoping the cipralex will help with both my anxiety and depression, and from what the dr said it should work for the anxiety around the 2-6 week period and the depression from around 6 - 10 weeks.

How long have you been on it Joy (at 10mg and now at 20mg), why are you on it and have you tried anything else?

Dan

---------- Post added at 12:20 ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 ----------

Aah just seen your other post - so its about 10 weeks at 20mg now?

joy
21-01-12, 16:10
hi Dan

On it for anxiety,tried most other medsbut horrific side effects so had to stop.Been waiting over 6 months for talking therapy which is finally going to happen in two weeks. Losing faith with the cipralex. Having a bad day with anxiety today. Very up and down. Hope you are doing better

Joy

OxfordDan
21-01-12, 16:33
Hi Joy - seems to be a few of us on this forum today having bad anx - me included.

Talking therapy will help but you have to put in to get out. Do all the work and exercises and push yourself.

You seem the same as me - meds either dont work or give me bad side effects but the drs (i say drs cos i have seen many lol) all say its me fighting the meds or not trusting them. I agree with this as it started around the time i was told its anxiety disorder i have

Such a pitty these meds that apparently do wonders for anxiety make you more anxious and even depressed for weeks and weeks before they start working

joy
21-01-12, 16:42
if they work at all. Be nice if some successful Cipralex users posted to give us hope

Joy

OxfordDan
21-01-12, 16:44
Think these meds only get you some of the way there - the rest is all you.
They are supposed to make it easier to deal with it yourself but sadly they arent magic.
What are you like off meds?

joy
22-01-12, 12:25
Hi Dan
Can't remember what I'm like without meds as I've been messing about with different ones for 5 years.

I feel really dreadful today inspite of a long dog walk and going to church. My mental health team say to try distraction when I'm bad but it doesnt work.

Hope you are having a better day

Joy

haz
22-01-12, 12:43
I switched from Seroxat to Cipralex around 18 months as the Seroxat stopped working after 14 years. Unfortunately, despite minimal side effects, it didn't do anything for me so my psychiatrist (who acutally thought the Cipralex made me worse but I don't, it just didn't makes me any better) took me off it. I'm on Sertraline now.

Good Luck.

xhyperyogix
22-01-12, 12:50
Haz, how is sertraline going for you? I started on that yesterday. Feel odd today, euphoric yesterday. All a bit strange!

Hyper xx

haz
22-01-12, 12:58
Hi,

It's ok. I only take 50mg as I'm very sensitive to medication. I've been on it a year now. Initial side effect were slight stomach upset and insomnia. I was on diazepam and sleeping tablets (still am!) to combat this and initial increased anxiety.

They're not as good as Seroxat in my opinion but sadly that stopped working for me.

They took a good few months to start working.

Hope they work for you. I would give them a few months at least unless you're experienceing any really horrible side effects.

Haz. x

xhyperyogix
22-01-12, 13:05
hey thanks for replying haz,

glad they work a bit for you anyway. yeah stomach ache is horrible! i too am already on temaz for sleep, so i may be taking more of them than my normal days! doc seemed to think i may even be able to come off temaz if this sert does its job properly!

hyepr xx

ps sorry to hijack your cipralex thread guys xxxx

smb25
22-01-12, 16:33
I have been on cipralex for almost a year now. It took quite a while for me to settle on them, about 4 weeks before I went back to work and id say a good 10 weeks before I really felt anything like myself again. I had tried other meds, citalopram (side effects too bad) Mirtazapine (only really helped with sleep, not anxiety) Sertaline (again couldnt take side effects).

They are not a miracle cure though, I still have blips but they are far less and easier to deal with (I don't say that at the time though!).

I am also having CBT which is helping but again not a miracle cure (mores the pity)

I am (80%) happy/normal on cipralex, which is more than I could have asked for a year ago!

Dread the day my docs want to wean me off, going to avoid that one!

x

OxfordDan
22-01-12, 18:28
Hi Smb - maybe you will have to stay on them for a longer period then until you arent scared of coming off them. No use undoing all the good work you have done over a year and I have read so many posts on here about people stopping meds only to be back on them a few weeks later.