PDA

View Full Version : Just started Citalopram - feeling sick

sheltiemum
20-01-12, 14:08
I started Citalopram for depression yesterday, last night after feeling tired all day I had a very awful night's sleep. Restless.. I felt sick all day yesterday and now today again. I am also getting belly pains. :weep:

Has anyone else had these side effects? How long can I expect them to last?
Thank you.

clc
20-01-12, 14:14
Hi Sheltie. Unfortunately one or two weeks. I'm on 4 weeks now and I feel as if the medicine isn't causing me problems and that it's the anxiety. They are common side effect and we unfortunately have to stick them out!

stamags
20-01-12, 14:16
hi there

I am on day 12 of citalopram and had the very same side effects which lasted 3 or 4 days. dont worry it should soon settle , I dont feel any side effects much now except for a little bit dizzy but as i suffer anxiety it could be that.

sheltiemum
20-01-12, 14:18
Hey CLC.
Thanks for the fast reply. I am happy to wait them out as long as they will at some point stop. I have not felt hungry either, which is unlike me.
Thanks again. :)

---------- Post added at 14:18 ---------- Previous post was at 14:17 ----------

hi there

I am on day 12 of citalopram and had the very same side effects which lasted 3 or 4 days. dont worry it should soon settle , I dont feel any side effects much now except for a little bit dizzy but as i suffer anxiety it could be that.

Ahh so its a common side effect?

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I feel a little dizzy too but not as bad as yesterday.:D

elainedawson
20-01-12, 14:29
im also having symptoms on day 10 and am only taking 5mg keep reaching and have completely lost my appetite also have dizzy head feel very anxious but am used to that... hoping this will wear off... and am going to try upping the dose tommorrow and hoping it doesnt make me feel even worse hate taking tablets but ive got to try something to help with this anxiety i have.....the more i think about taking them the worse i get but keep telling myself it will get better

sheltiemum
20-01-12, 14:47
Sorry its making you feel so bad.:unsure: Hope you feel better soon.
I am on 20mg.

Cjo20
20-01-12, 14:52
Feeling sick is a very common side effect. I found that a mug of peppermint tea just after I took my tablet helped a lot.

Tillykitten
20-01-12, 15:09
I am on 20mg I felt also sick and had side effects for the first two weeks. Hang on in there it does get better. Taken it for a month now feeling the benefits. Having a good chat with the girls helps.

chappers1980
20-01-12, 15:21
I started Citalopram for depression yesterday, last night after feeling tired all day I had a very awful night's sleep. Restless.. I felt sick all day yesterday and now today again. I am also getting belly pains. :weep:

Has anyone else had these side effects? How long can I expect them to last?
Thank you.

Give it a week or so and they will disappear. Peppermint or Ginger tea was my saviour!

morning_blues
20-01-12, 19:17
Hang in there - it will get better!
I was so sick to start with i had to get anti-nausea drugs just to be able to keep anything down. Hopefully you'll start to pick up after 10-14 days and carry on getting better from thereonin. Good luck!